Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 ALOHA
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  11:46:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
On Kona Web Aunty Lele posted one of the most meaningful things I have read in a long time it has caused a lot meditation and thought on my part and I wanted to share it. I know some of you are also on Konaweb and Aunty Lele is a memeber here as well . I hope this means as much to some of you as it has to me.
This is Quoted from Kona Web and Aunty Lele has given permission for is sharing >

Aloha kakou -

What does that mean? Is it an empty greeting, devoid of meaning, that we say when we want to "put on our Hawaiian coat," and then take off when inconvenient?

Is it an exclusive phrase reserved for an elite few, to be partaken of only by those deemed "worthy?"

Is it an expression from a dead language, only used on tourists to get them to spend their money and then quickly go away?

Or is it the cornerstone of Hawaiian culture and life?

While the word has been used and abused by many, any may sometimes appear empty or exclusive, I was taught that it is the very foundation of what it means to be Hawaiian.

And yet, the concepts embodied in "aloha" are not exclusively Hawaiian. The Dalai Lama is a living example of "aloha."

I was taught that:

Aloha is strong - it survives brutality and abuse.

Aloha is unconditional - it loves the unlovable.

Aloha is steadfast - it continues to cherish, even when assailed.

Aloha is forgiving - it accepts what has happened and moves on.

Aloha is healing - it does not remain in a space of pain, but finds solutions to problems and implements them.

Aloha is responsible - it recognizes the interconnections between all creation.

Queen Lili`uokalani is considered an embodiment of Aloha by many Hawaiians. Enduring humiliation and heartbreak, Queen Liliuokalani embodied spiritual strength and still provides us counsel with words of compassion and forgiveness, penned in March of 1895, that survive as her legacy for us in these modern troubled times.

“O kou mihi ana a paahao ia. O oe kuu lama kou nani, kou koo. I live in

sorrow, imprisoned. You are my light, your glory my support. Mai nana

inoino na hewa a kanaka aka e huikala a maemae no. Behold not with

malevolence the sins of man, but forgive and cleanse.”
(The Queen’s Prayer, Ka Pule A Ka Haku, 1895)

She lost her husband and her kingdom. Those her country welcomed turned on her and stole it. And yet she counseled forgiveness.

Stand for what is right, and hold Aloha in your heart.

I teach my young dancers that the sternum is a magic window through which all of the aloha in our hearts shines out to everyone who sees us dance. I teach them that we must keep that window clean, not let angry thoughts or meanness dirty the window. Before we dance, we breathe in the clean air, and breathe out any anger or negativity. We sweep the halau to send all meanness out the door, where it will be cleansed in the sunlight. And then we greet each other with "Aloha!".

Malama pono,
Aunty Lele

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  12:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
(sings)
Aloha is a promise
The sun will shine again
Bringing fresh hopes and dreams
With each new day that begins.
Aloha is the sunlight
Shining through the darkness
Giving strength, giving strength,
To all we do.

In my opinion, this is one of the most beautiful songs in the universe, and Moe Keale was the perfect person to record it.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2007 :  1:40:24 PM  Show Profile
Ae.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2007 :  12:25:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
I also love the song Aloha Is.... by Moe Keale too. Its definitely a powerful and beautiful song I think I heard so far.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

Beth
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2007 :  07:59:26 AM  Show Profile
My Aunt had a knife board over her stove that said.

"Aloha means goodmorning
Aloha means goodbye

It means until we meet agian
Beneath the pale blue sky

Aloha means forever
And always to be true
But best of all Aloha means
I'll always think of you."

I havent seen that knife board in almost twenty years and I still remember the poem.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  3:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Wow, nani loa kela!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  4:13:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
I take no credit this was written by our own Hula Rider. Leilehua must be a women of rare insight and talents.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy

Edited by - NANI on 10/31/2007 4:15:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2007 :  7:14:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by NANI

I take no credit this was written by our own Hula Rider. Leilehua must be a women of rare insight and talents.

Oh, mahalo, mahalo nui. But I can't take credit for the thoughts, only for typing them out. It is what I have learned from those wiser and before me. Now I have to do my best to live up to it!

Malama pono,
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000