Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Olomana
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  08:55:02 AM  Show Profile
Last weekend I was listening to Sunday Manoa. This week it is Olomana, the CD by the same name. I will NEVER forget the chicken skin I got when Jerry played "Come to me Gently" at my request back in May at Chai's. He told the story of how he came to write the song and about how important family connections are.

It is a hoot, as well, to see the cover of the CD and realize how we have all aged since 1980. Jerry has aged well, like a fine wine. I was a brand new mom at that time, trying to juggle a baaby and work and taking care of the house and groceries and laundry,oh my. Too bad I didn't know about ki ho`alu back then to relax me.

Ho`olohe hou, listen once again to some classic, cutting edge music.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  11:30:06 AM  Show Profile
Just to add to this -- Olomana will be receiving a Lifetime Achievement Award at next year's Na Hoku Hanohano event. Long, long overdue IMHO.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  12:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
"Come to me Gently" is such a beautiful song! I love Olomana too. I also love their "Kanaka Wai Wai" and the song "Ho'omaka Hou."

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  12:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Oh yeah, and didn't they do a song in honor of Lili'uokalani? I wanted to cry the first time I heard it! Anybody know the title?

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  1:36:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

Oh yeah, and didn't they do a song in honor of Lili'uokalani? I wanted to cry the first time I heard it! Anybody know the title?

Yes. "Walking In The Queen's Garden." And it rips me up every time I hear it...

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  8:22:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message
Anyone know if they'll ever record a new CD? They're way overdue. The last one I have is Enduring Pride and Jerry's Expecting Friends and those were ages and ages ago.

Lovin' Lee is my favorite pasttime!!

Go to Top of Page

Bijou
Akahai

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  08:30:10 AM  Show Profile
Regarding Olomano, I too was juggling a baby when I first saw Olomano in concert. My son was 6 months old and we sailed to Molokai. Olomano was playing at Queen Lili'uokalani Gardens. I held my keiki and he was so good no noise out of him throughout the whole performance. The last song is dear to me as they sang Goodnight keiki and then my son fell asleep in my arms. Oh da chicken skin . When we returned to Oahu I purchased the tape and played Goodnight keiki for him most every night at bedtime. That tape is pau no more. I cannot find that song and if anyone can tell me where to find that song please let me know. If anyone has the music to it that would also be great and I can try to play it for my grandson. One sad note in that Robert Beaumont of Olomona was a wonderful guitar player but we lost him at a very early age.
Maholo for listening to my ramblings.
Bijou

Edited by - Bijou on 11/06/2007 08:37:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  3:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by hwnmusiclives

quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusicfan138

Yes. "Walking In The Queen's Garden." And it rips me up every time I hear it...

Me too! Mahalo nui loa!

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  3:21:38 PM  Show Profile
Bijou,I think the song you're looking for is called Lullabye on the CD reissue of Olomana. SS-CD-1001, Seabird Sound, Inc.I bought it from Auntie Maria's site earlier this year.Part of the words are: "Goodnight keiki, Sandman's coming to close your eyes." Lullabye, R.Beaumont& C.Hopps.Hope that id's it for you.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

olomana929ny
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  10:37:54 AM  Show Profile  Send olomana929ny an AOL message
I agree that they are overdue in the cd department. I would give anything to have something new from them. My daughter was 15 months old when I first saw them perform at the Hula Hut -- can't believe it was 26 years ago. I would even settle for Jerry recording with other artists.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  5:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by olomana929ny

I agree that they are overdue in the cd department. I would give anything to have something new from them. My daughter was 15 months old when I first saw them perform at the Hula Hut -- can't believe it was 26 years ago. I would even settle for Jerry recording with other artists.

This is the first post I've read from you. Just wanted to say e komo mai!

Where's the Hula Hut?

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

olomana929ny
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2007 :  5:06:44 PM  Show Profile  Send olomana929ny an AOL message
The Hula Hut was/is a nightclub on Oahu. I have no idea if it's still around.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  8:48:24 PM  Show Profile
Olomana update:

Hilton Hawaiian is remodeling the lounge where Jerry & friends usually perform. So they'll soon be performing in the hotel's Shell Bar (next to the main lobby & parking valet stand) on Friday and Saturday nights.

And...I have it on good authority that Jerry is working on four projects -- one of which is a songbook of his original compositions.

Uiha!!!!

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2007 :  9:12:33 PM  Show Profile
Uiha indeed. Way cool for a music book. Only need 4 hands to play all that swell guitar in "Ku`u Home o Kalu`u".

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  1:45:50 PM  Show Profile
Email from Jerry Santos:

As most of you already know, the new owners of the Hilton have implemented some changes.

Starting next weekend, November 23rd & 24th, we will be performing at The Shell Bar on Fridays and Saturdays, 8:00 – 12:00.

The Shell Bar is located right at the front of the lobby, behind the valet station.

After considering The Paradise Lounge home for the past 15 years, this change is a little disconcerting, but they have assured me it is only temporary. We have been advised that we will be returning to The Paradise Lounge Dec. 21st.

Our work at the Hilton has been possible because of your support. We thank you and hope that you will continue to visit us in the new location.

If you could pass this message along to your friends and family, that would be very helpful.

From all of us in Olomana, Mahalo Nui!
Jerry

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000