Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Maunalua - Ho`okanaka
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2007 :  05:37:27 AM  Show Profile
This CD is a gem, a rare and beautiful gift.

This CD showcases not only the soaring voice of Bobby Moderow, but the voices of his bandmates Kahi Kaonohi and Bruce Spencer. And oh, the harmony they make.

The CD starts off with a tribute to Gabby Pahinui and all the kupuna who shared their love for Hawaiian music and worked hard to perpetuate the music. Maunalua performs Hi`ilawe in this tribute to the ones who came before. The touch of falsetto brings a feeling that the manu are flying and the waterfall is bringing its lovely mist to the valley. Bobby's composition "Endless Miles" is all about finding the private space we all need to bring peacefullness into our lives and a yearning for the simpler times. This one has a great country feel to it. Then they bring a bit of light-heartedness with Kawena Pukui's composition "Ku`u Pete". I wonder if anyone choreographed a hula for that. Could be fun, yeah? The ending mele -- Oh, the voice of Kahi, what range and what power. This last song will leave you with a tear in your eye both for the majesty of the music and the power of the words.

This DVD should be in any collection of great Hawaiian music.

PS: I am incorrect that it starts off with Hi`ilawe. It does not. Koke`e is the first song on the disc, and what a rendition with Bobby's falsetto.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 11/10/2007 12:00:04 PM

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2007 :  10:06:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Mahalo for posting Wanda. Just another reason why I need to buy more Hawaiian music CD/DVD's. When I have time I'll be sure to check it out.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

Adrienne
Aloha

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2007 :  05:17:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Adrienne's Homepage
This is such a great CD- everyone must get this!

For me the killer song is Nani Hanalei- Bobby sings in a lower range and it's so nahenahe. The layered harmony toward the end is so beautiful. But all the songs are so well and carefully constructed, and each one has a little twist. The sneaky one is E Maliu Mai, easy to overlook at first,but it grows on you. I just love that song!!
Each of those guys has such a great voice and Ho'okanaka showcases each one equally.
I know their goal was to sound a little more up front, like you are listening live, and I think it really works.
Buy two and give one as a gift!

A
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2007 :  10:07:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
You've just persuaded me to put this one on my Christmas list.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000