Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Moloka'i Ukulele Mana'o
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vernamar
Aloha

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2007 :  06:31:18 AM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou,
Here on our remote island of Moloka'i, I teach a Beginning Ukulele Class for our Maui County's Kaunoa Senior Services Program. Moloka'i belongs to Maui County. Anyone 55 years or older is able to register for the class. We meet every Wednesday from 9:00am-10:00am at Home Pumehana Senior Center. We have good fun learning both Hawaiian songs and Ha'ole tunes. Some of us can only finger the C chord and that's fine with me. This is a leisure program and we suppose to laugh a lot as we Kani Ka Pila. Usually the "Snow Birds" will take the class however, I'm totally proud of our locals joining in. I also share mana'o regarding 'Olelo Hawai'i and talk story about the local Moloka'i culture and customs.
aloha, verna

Aloha from Moloka'i

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2007 :  2:14:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Sounds wonderful what a gift you are giving of yourself. I have very fond memories of Friday nights on Molokai what a wonderful group and feeling I am sure ypur students add much to the group.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

vernamar
Aloha

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2007 :  7:46:46 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Nani,
Mahalo 'ia 'oe no kou mana'o maika'i.
So you're familiar with our Friday night Kani Ka Pila with Na Kupuna/Aunties at Hotel Moloka'i. Did you play ukulele with them?
I played with them for a while then did some traveling. The last time I played and danced hula with the group was back in April.
A friend from the hui emailed the lyrics to most of the songs they usually sing. One day I'll print the songs and possibly join them again.
aloha a hui hou, verna

Aloha from Moloka'i
Go to Top of Page

Cyberglen
Aloha

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  11:32:23 AM  Show Profile
I dropped in on the Kani Ka Pila at the Hotel Molokai on a Friday night. It was my last night in Hawaii, and my first ever visit to the islands. I chose Molokai. The music was wonderful. They handed out lyrics to a song I did not know then.....I am pretty sure it was Hawaii Aloha. I stumbled my way through it. It was very touching. I will never forget my last evening on Molokai, the aunties dancing a beautiful hula, and the warmth of the welcome I received on Molokai. I returned the favor by buying property on a different island! I do hope to come back for the Friday night Kani Ka Pila.

Slow down! It's Molokai.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2007 :  11:51:39 AM  Show Profile
I'll be there Feb. 3 to Feb. 9 don't know if I'll get a chance to get around I have a couple of frends and people i used to work with who retired there. I am going to be on the West side at a guitar camp for a week and my wife will try to ride a mule down the trail to Kalaupapa. I hope to get to Midnight Inn if it is still in busines for some akule and stuff li'dat.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

vernamar
Aloha

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  06:27:46 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e noeau,
Please contact me while you're on Moloka'i. Hopefully, I'll be able to meet you and your wife.
E kala mai 'ia'u! Midnight Inn was destroyed in a fire many moons ago. The front of the building is still standing however, no more ono Fried Akule, Chopped Steak and Hamburger Steak. Ua Pau!!. We all miss the establishment. The owner passed away and his 'ohana is still on island.
Is your guitar camp happening at Camp Kaupoa? Usually those events are held there. Beautiful setting.
Me ke aloha pumehana, verna

Aloha from Moloka'i
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  08:32:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Aloha Vernamar,
I was in Moloka'i last time for a few weeks R&R back in March of 2004 the people were wonderful. I loved every miniute. I have dreamed so much of coming back that I can hardly believe it is going to happen in only 68 days. If you would like to share my experience you can see my photos at http://picasaweb.google.com/photodreamer53/Molokai
the KaniKaPila photos are near the end. It was wonderful I never wanted to leave. This time I am also coming over for the Aloha Music camp so it will be a totally different experence. Not much if any sightseeing and very sore fingers. I am flying in from The Big Island VERY early in the Morning on Sunday the 3rd so will be heading into town to kill time till check in at 3PM definatly heading for breakfast somewhere and then who knows what. I too am really sorry to hear about the loss of the Midnight Inn. But at least we have our memories.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

vernamar
Aloha

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2007 :  09:29:44 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Nani,
I would love to meet you on Moloka'i in February. Shall we meet in Kauanakakai town and have breakfast at Hotel Moloka'i? Or I could very well meet you at the hotel. Since you need to kill time prior to checking in to your camp, let's talk story.
Where is the Aloha Music Camp on Moloka'i?
aloha, verna

Aloha from Moloka'i
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2007 :  12:33:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
I sent you and e-mail but Sounds great and no better way to spend some time than making new friends and talking story. Just name the place and time I will find my way there.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000