Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Who played "Nohea" in "From Here to Eternity"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  10:19:37 AM  Show Profile
OK TPers, an Hawaiian Music trivia question. In the movie, "From Here to Eternity" (Oahu right before Pearl Harbor), Debra Kerr and Burt Lancaster are sharing a tender moment in an out of the way bar/restaurant. The band is playing "Nohea". Any ideas who the players are? This would have been about 1953,and there's no guarantee that it was in Hawaii; much of the movie was done in Hollywood. The only version of this song that I have is by Holunape on their He'olu CD.

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  10:59:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

OK TPers, an Hawaiian Music trivia question. In the movie, "From Here to Eternity" (Oahu right before Pearl Harbor), Debra Kerr and Burt Lancaster are sharing a tender moment in an out of the way bar/restaurant. The band is playing "Nohea". Any ideas who the players are? This would have been about 1953,and there's no guarantee that it was in Hawaii; much of the movie was done in Hollywood. The only version of this song that I have is by Holunape on their He'olu CD.

My understanding was that it was a group led by the composer of the song, Danny Stewart. And it is long undisputed that the steel guitarist was Barney Isaacs.

Kealoha Kalama did a great version of "Nohea" on her 1980s LP "Lei Puakenikeni." And my favorite remains the rhumba version from the early 1960s by Pua Almeida and the Moana Surfriders. Although recorded many years apart, ironically Billy Hew Len played the steel guitar on both versions.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  11:50:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hwnmusiclives
My understanding was that it was a group led by the composer of the song, Danny Stewart. And it is long undisputed that the steel guitarist was Barney Isaacs.

Kealoha Kalama did a great version of "Nohea" on her 1980s LP "Lei Puakenikeni." And my favorite remains the rhumba version from the early 1960s by Pua Almeida and the Moana Surfriders. Although recorded many years apart, ironically Billy Hew Len played the steel guitar on both versions.

I was only half right. It was definitely Danny Stewart's band. (I found the soundtrack album several times in a Google search.) But the mind playing tricks on me (as it were), I remember now that Barney Isaacs played steel for the soundtrack of "Donovan's Reef." I have no idea who played steel on the "Eternity" soundtrack, but one might assume it was Danny Stewart himself as he was a master of the instrument.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2007 :  1:25:43 PM  Show Profile
This would be a good question to ask Harry B. Soria, Jr. -- a veritable walking encyclopedia of island music trivia! You can contact him via his website:
http://www.territorialairwaves.com/

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2007 :  06:23:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Bill and Auntie Maria. I emailed Harry just to verify Bill's response.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000