Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 AG Feb 2008 Unlock the Slack Key Style
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  06:50:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Great article, nice arrangement of Salomila.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2007 :  12:14:39 PM  Show Profile
You're right Fran. I was thinking of the reviews of various CDs by Ozzie. I read your article online a few minutes ago. http://www.acousticguitar.com/article/default.aspx?articleid=21895

Very nice

dog
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  06:58:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Not to protest too much, but I have to point out that I did not hyphenate slack key in my text, I used "vamp" every place they used "Hawaiian turnaround" and I had a plug for the Patch in my version <grin>.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  08:30:27 AM  Show Profile
nice article fran!

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

gcolebeck
Aloha

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  2:09:24 PM  Show Profile
Great article Fran - as a newcomer to slack key myself I think it's great to tell everyone about this fantastic music!
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2007 :  02:05:40 AM  Show Profile
Fran - kudos. Good to teach others. Who knows how far reaching that could be. And it is not a magazine to be taken lightly, either.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2007 :  10:15:18 PM  Show Profile
If you all have one online subscription you can download the issue already. pretty cool version of Salomi la.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

tafkam1
Lokahi

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  07:11:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit tafkam1's Homepage
nice article! Acoustic Guitar is giving away a bunch of subscriptions for the opportunity drawing at the slack key festival coming up and there will also be a slew of free mags we'll be handing out, it is this very issue.

is your last name pronounced "gih-dree"?

Mitch Chang
http://www.kalakoa.com/
http://www.ukulelewebsite.com/

Edited by - tafkam1 on 01/11/2008 07:12:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  08:36:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Yes, Mitchell, you've got the right pronunciation. Back in the late 70s and early 80s when Ron Guidry was pitching for the Yankees, many people could spell and pronounce Guidry, but as soon as he slipped out of the limelight, our name did too. And yes, we're (very very distantly) related. Basically all United States Guidrys descend from one family that was expelled from Canada and became part of the Acadian diaspora. Apparently a fecund bunch, because there are about three pages of Guidrys in the New Orleans phone book, or were before Katrina, and many more spread across southern Louisiana. Due to various misadventures suffered by Guidrys involved in Louisiana politics, I usually identify myself as one of the unindicted Guidrys <grin>.

On the subject of "Salomila" I just posted a video of a version of the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4VE66NiCGE

We focused on the hands in this one, so maybe this will help people interested in learning the song. Of course, it's a different version than the one in Acoustic Guitar Mag.

Speaking of AG Mag, it can't hurt to email those folks and suggest that more coverage of Hawaiian music topics would be well received. Seems like `ukulele and steel guitar deserve their time in the spotlight, along with a history of slack key, maybe a few classic Hawaiian songs. The more I learn about Hawaiian music the more I find it intertwined with mainland styles. For instance, Dave Guard, one of the founders of the Kingston Trio, was from Hawai`i, a huge slack key fan, and produced a record with Gabby Pahinui. And after leaving the Kingston Trio, Dave formed the Whiskeyhill Singers with Judy Henske and others, and included a somewhat strange version of "Salomila" on their first and only LP, using the title "Shine the Light on Me."

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  10:25:07 AM  Show Profile
Great video, Fran, and great music! And your wife is a great camera person. No wonder Ledward wanted you to open for him! You surely will inspire many folks to play slack key and perhaps introduce someone new to the genre.

Thank you.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  10:56:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
I've been nudging AG for more coverage of Hawaiian music for a dozen years (because I want to write more pieces), but their reading of the market differs from mine, and my placement rate turned out to be about one a year, not counting short reviews. It's not like there aren't interested writers out there, either--in addition to the performer/contributors, Michael Simmons (now an editor at Fretboard Journal) and Ben Elder have both done articles on Hawaiian topics.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  2:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Hey, Russell, if I'd known you were writing for those guys I would have bought a few issues!

My paragraph above was pretty poorly worded - I was really intending to issue a call to arms to all Taropatchers. I don't think the folks at AG care what writers think, but maybe they would respond to a flood of messages from potential readers ... well, one can dream.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page