Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Jesse Tinsley's version of Kimo Henderson Hula
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brooklyn
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  12:22:10 PM  Show Profile
I think I have listened to Jesse's version of this song about twenty times. Beautiful stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BWcK0XfcUM

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  12:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Smooth! Jesse always sound great! Thanks for sharing the link.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  2:19:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Thanks! Now that I've got a Macbook with a built-in camera, I'm going nuts! Here's another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEDQAgaKOng

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  2:48:57 PM  Show Profile
Jesse
Sukiyake is such a cool tune (and I have no idea what the words mean).
I used to hear it playing from an old Japanese store when I was a kid in Haleiwa and it left a strong memory. Your rendition reminded me of those days gone by.
Nice job on the song.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  4:29:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Jesse, excellent job! We learned that song when my father got stationed in Japan in 1956-1957, although only one of my brothers still remembers the lyrics and knows the English translation as well (easy for him as he's fluent in Japanese). I believe the song is about someone who is sad and reflects back on happier days...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"

Edited by - ArtSap on 12/21/2007 4:29:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2007 :  4:51:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
The melody of "Ue o Muite" (Sukiyaki) hooked me the first time I heard it as a kid. Although it is a classic pop song, there is something very Japanese about the melody. Thanks to the internet, I can listen to, and watch, Kyu Sakamoto sing the song over and over and find a dozen lyric sites with translation. I am probably mangling the language, but I understand the song's intent.
Glad you enjoyed it.
Jesse
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2007 :  02:01:59 AM  Show Profile
Jesse - both are very well played and sung. You have something special, though, that comes through to touch a person's heart. That is what makes you so special. I am waiting for a professional Jesse Tinsley Hits Vol. I. If you really hurry, I can still get it in time to go in Paul's stocking!

If you oddah guyz are thinking, geez already she always says nice stuff about Jesse's music,, well, OK. I do. It is wonderful. And lucky we are that he shares it with us.

Ue o Muite is not only a beautiful tune, but the lyricw, when translated to English are beautiful as well. I wish I understood Japanese so I could understand the impact of the lyrics in the proper language.

Thank you Jesse.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000