Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Who is Bob Brozman you ask?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  08:07:24 AM  Show Profile
This video will show you who Bob Brozman is as a person and musician--and he is not shy about sharing his philosophy on music and life. Since I only knew about his musical talent, it startled me a little.
It is long but it is interesting and well worth watching. I did not agree with everything he had to say but he has me thinking it over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oPXRWRxda8

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 12/29/2007 08:09:10 AM

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  6:52:29 PM  Show Profile
Yes, that is the Bob I know and love. I do think he has some interesting things to say about music, having myself lived in an underdeveloped country, where things and music are very different. I think he's refreshing in that you truly get to hear what he thinks and how he feels. NO BONES ABOUT IT!

But I usually see him in Hawaiian shirt and slippas!

Thanks for sharing, Haole Boy,

Julie
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  06:38:06 AM  Show Profile
We heard Bob Brozman on the food channel the other day as background for one of the TV shows/ Getting mainstream now???? Paul likes Bob & Cyril Pahinui together. Also like George Kahumoku and Bob Brozman.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  7:33:52 PM  Show Profile
You know, at one time Bob was pretty out there, very aggressive and roaring like a lion in his music. But when I hear him play with George at kani ka pilas at George's camp on Maui, there is a calmness that seems to seep into the music. It's a very different scene there. That's also true when he plays with Cyril. Even evident when he plays with Led, which is saying a lot. Over time, I just appreciate his style more and more.

My favorite joke that he tells: "No husband ever got shot in the back while standing at the sink doing the dishes." And I have photo of him doing just that!
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  9:00:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

We heard Bob Brozman on the food channel the other day as background for one of the TV shows/
They used his music on early episodes of "Mythbusters" on the Discovery Channel, too.

Edited by - Retro on 12/30/2007 9:00:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

bubba
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2007 :  07:03:27 AM  Show Profile
I notice that Bob is performing on Friday; 1/25/2008 at the Rio Theater; Santa Cruz, CA with David Lindley. Tickets are $25. On 1/27/2007 he is in Berkeley, CA at the Freight & Salvage with the Cheap Suit Seranders. I thought that Bob had moved on from Hawaiian music as I haven't heard him perform such music in many, many years. From some of the responses to this topic it sounds like he's currently performing Hawaiian, am I missing something?
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2007 :  09:18:41 AM  Show Profile
quote:
From some of the responses to this topic it sounds like he's currently performing Hawaiian, am I missing something?
in short... Yep.

Bob plays 95% Hawaiian material whenever he is teaching at George Kahumoku's Maui workshop.
(about half of the last ten workshops).

He also has played Hawaiian music with some of the Hawaiian Tours that have come to the Mainland, such as George & Keoke's tour a few years ago.

And I fully suspect that there will be a commercial CD release of Hawaiian music with Bob and others sometime in the near future.

P.S. Thanks for the heads-up on the Brozman and Lindley Concert. Last time I saw Lindley it was a riot - and if Bob plays with along with him it is guaranteed to be one zany high-energy event!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 12/31/2007 12:00:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  04:19:39 AM  Show Profile
This is the second time (recenetly) that David Lindley has been mentioned.

In another thread, "el ray-o x", the name of one of his albums, was brought up. Of course I had no idea where the title came from.

I stumbled upon Lindleys music barely two years ago. The first song I heard was Mercury Blues and I was hooked. Man, does he ever play good bottneck. I also read that Lindley, who is very good at rock/blues/raggae--or apparently what-ever, was also a banjo champion at one time.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  07:16:50 AM  Show Profile
P.S. Thanks for the heads-up on the Brozman and Lindley Concert. Last time I saw Lindley it was a riot - and if Bob plays with along with him it is guaranteed to be one zany high-energy event!

Ditto for me too. I didn't realize he was playing. I'm not going to miss this one.

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000