Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 The new Sons of Hawai`i CD to be released
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  11:09:56 AM  Show Profile
Dear Auntie Maria: Could you please let us know (if you know yourself), what incarnation(s) of the Sons will be on this soon to be released CD? For the today stuff, do you know who has been recorded? Any chance of that cute Ocean Kaowili being on the CD?

Can't wait until it is released! And thank you for sending out those notices that let us know what new stuff is/has been released.

Mahalo nui loa.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  4:07:35 PM  Show Profile
This new CD from Eddie Kamae is a combination of songs from his "old" Sons of Hawai`i (Feet Rogers, Joe Marshall, Dennis Kamakahi & Moe Keale), with songs (some new!) from today's Sons of Hawai`i (Mike Kaawa, Analu Aina, Paul Kim...and that cute Ocean Kaowili).

Eddie told me about this one last year, and was positively _beaming_ about the prospect of combining the two "Sons" on one CD.

Title is "Yesterday & Today"; release date is 1-29-2008.

Here's the playlist (hope to have soundclips posted up on MELE.COM sometime next week):
1. Ka `Opae
2. Ku`ulei Na`u He la
3. E Ku`u Morning Dew
4. Kehaulani
5. Ua Nani `O Nu`uanu
6. Maka Ua
7. Kawika Slack Key
8. Ka Lama `Ae One
9. Punalu`u Nani
10. Kanaka Waiolina
11. Mauna`olu
12. Sweet Haha `Ai a Ka Manu

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  7:07:06 PM  Show Profile
Kanaka Waiolina -- is that the mele that Dennis wrote to honor Sam Li`a?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  02:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Kanaka Waiolina -- is that the mele that Dennis wrote to honor Sam Li`a?

The very same. And it's going to be great to hear the new Sons jam on "Sweet Ha Ha Ai A Ka Manu" which they roll out at every Sunday and Tuesday gig.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  05:59:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I'm sitting here getting chicken skin just thinking about it. We've seen the new gang several times now, thanks to a heads-up by Auntie Maria a few years ago, and they're tremendous.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  8:08:13 PM  Show Profile
Uiha! Got my demo in today's mail -- soundclips are now up. CD is featured on MELE.COM front page...

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  09:49:33 AM  Show Profile
Auntie Maria has sound samples posted for this new CD to be released next Tuesday. I am really excited about this one. I like the old stuff, and I welcome the new stuff. You can definitely hear Mike Ka`awa's contributions through his beautiful, deep voice and his 12-string guitar. There is more of Eddie singing, and someone is playing banjo on a couple of songs (must be Uncle Dennis -- like on Ka Opae).

Paul Kim sounds like Feet, I'm a-tellin' you!

Gotta go order it from mele.com. Woohoo.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  4:34:15 PM  Show Profile
The Mele man came to our house today and brought this CD, "Yesterday & Today" by Eddie Kamae and the Sons of Hawai`i. Six tracks are old songs with the Dennis Kamakahi-Moe Keale-Feet Rogers-Joe Marshall-Eddie Kamae version of the Sons and six of the tracks are new recordings with the modern incarnation of that cute Ocean Kaowili, Paul Kim, Mike Ka`awa, Analu Aina and of course. Eddie. You will hear on this recording much more of Eddie singing. It sort of seems like this is his "legacy" album. For the first time. I hear him singing "E Ku`u Morning Dew". It seems so very plaintive; so heart wrenching. It certainly does not compare to the beauty of hearing Moe Keale's rich voice singing this beautiful mele, but therre is poignancy in hearing the haku mele sing his own song. We get to hear Dennis Kamakahi playing the banjo and singing Ka Opae and Kanaka Waiolina. On the new cuts, you hear the power of Mike Ka`awa's voice and his 12-string guitar -- such a distinct sound. The highlight in my opinion, of the whole shebang, is Paul Kim's beautiful falsetto and wonderfully sweet steel guitar playing on Ua Nana o Nu`uanu. Wai maka! And then there is Kawika's Slack Key -- written by David "Feet" Rogers. A very bouncy, upbeat kiho`alu tune.

This album marks the first new recordings by Eddie Kamae since 1980. It definitely should be a part of any serious Hawaiian music lover's collection.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 02/01/2008 4:35:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  9:16:47 PM  Show Profile
I interviewed Uncle Eddie on my show today -- could have easily gone on for a full hour with the stories that man has to tell!

Although he often sings "Ku`u Morning Dew" at his live performances, this new CD is his first recording of it. Simply beautiful...and the why-and-when of it is a delightful tale, too.

This CD is really a treasure. Glad you're enjoying yours, Wanda!

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  07:23:00 AM  Show Profile
Auntie Maria - cut number 11, entitled Mauna`olu has a lovely female voice singing on it. I cannot find in the notes anywhere that it tells me who is singing.

Could it be Diana Aki?

Or if anyone else knows....

Mahalo nui loa.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2008 :  07:54:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Auntie Maria - cut number 11, entitled Mauna`olu has a lovely female voice singing on it. I cannot find in the notes anywhere that it tells me who is singing.

Could it be Diana Aki?

Or if anyone else knows....

Mahalo nui loa.

Yes, taken from the "Ho`omau" LP...

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  09:33:14 AM  Show Profile
For details about the songs, Eddie, the DVDs, the awards, and Sons of Hawai`i, here's the full press kit:
http://www.mountainapplecompany.com/eddiekamae/eddiekamae%20PressKit.pdf

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  08:57:10 AM  Show Profile
I was going say sumpting but you guys beat me to it. Good kine arrangements. Mike Ka'awa adds to the mix and evolution of Hawai'i's most legendary group. Eddie's vocals have really taken on an old fashioned native speaker kind of quality.
Bill do you mean they only mixed in Diana Aki's vocals into the track?

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 02/12/2008 08:57:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  09:30:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Bill do you mean they only mixed in Diana Aki's vocals into the track?

No, I'm pretty sure they were all the studio together. That recording dates back more than 30 years. Diana did a lot of sides with the Sons back then, and I always assumed they were in the studio together.

The new CD is half reissues from classic Sons LPs and half newly recorded cuts. The song in question is from the Sons' 1970's LP "Ho`omau."

Edited by - hwnmusiclives on 02/12/2008 09:31:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  3:19:09 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Bill.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked