Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hawaiian Calypso
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Candy
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  1:15:04 PM  Show Profile
This is an old mele. Don't know who recorded it but I recall my mother's Hawaiian band playing it back in the late 1950's early 1960's. Now, I'm trying to find the lyrics and the music. I'm praying that someone in our taropatch.net ohana can help me.

Mahalo!

A hui hou,
Candy

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  6:07:20 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm...are you sure about that title? No vinyl recording includes it, and didn't find it on any island album released since 1994.

My guess is that this was a song created and recorded by a mainland band...

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  6:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Maria

Hmmm...are you sure about that title? No vinyl recording includes it, and didn't find it on any island album released since 1994.

My guess is that this was a song created and recorded by a mainland band...

I don't know Candy personally, but I'm sure she's sure. It was written by Leon Pober (who also composed "Tiny Bubbles") and Steve Graham (who composed a number of hapa-haole songs in the 1950s).

Sailor come from Trinidad
Say Hawaiian music not so bad
Go to luau for to eat
Sing them songs with calypso beat

CHORUS:

Aue, aue, aue
Papaya boat come in today
Aue, aue, aue
Calypso come to Hilo bay

Hawaiian people they hear that sound
From every island they gather 'round
They leave the pineapple and the sugar cane
and join in this calypso refrain

CHORUS

Mapuana does the hula dance
Full of rhythm and romance
But how she makes those kanes smile
When she does the hula in calypso style

(Candy, if that's the one, let me know and I will post a recording of it. Or vice-versa: Let me know if you need to hear the recording to be sure.)

"No vinyl recording includes it" is a pretty unequivocal statement based on a book that is far less than complete. There are a great many Hawaiian LPs that did not make it into Brett Ortone's "Island Music Resource Book." That's because it is limited to only those records that passed by his desk during his time at Jelly's Comics and Records. It is time for a second edition, I think. The first printing is missing dozens of LPs.

"Hawaiian Calypso" appeared on an LP that had wide circulation on both the mainland and in Hawai`i, a favorite among many Hawaiians - Sterling Mossman Live At The Barefoot Bar.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2008 :  10:19:55 PM  Show Profile
Bill, my goodness,

You are a veritable trove of treasures, how do you know all this stuff? I am so impressed...

Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  07:21:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hwnmusiclives

There are a great many Hawaiian LPs that did not make it into Brett Ortone's "Island Music Resource Book." That's because it is limited to only those records that passed by his desk during his time at Jelly's Comics and Records. It is time for a second edition, I think.
Better yet, it's time for Ortone's "labor of love" to be both updated AND turned into an online resource. This has been a greatly helpful text, even with its flaws.

Auntie Maria, you've got PLENTY of free time to take this on, don't you?
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  08:11:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Retro
Better yet, it's time for Ortone's "labor of love" to be both updated AND turned into an online resource. This has been a greatly helpful text, even with its flaws.
I agree - 1000%. Had it been a searchable resource, the added flexibility would have been worth the expense. (The book appears to be a MS Excel spreadsheet. Distributing it electronically should not be a stretch.)

I have wanted it electronically so that I could do things like add the sidemen on each record. It would be great to search for all LPs where Barney Isaacs played steel guitar or Sonny Chillingworth played slack key.

But there are major corrections to be made. For example, there are numerous instances where the wrong track listing appears for a particular LP - probably a cut-and-paste error. And who would catch that sort of thing as there aren't many experts on the matter?

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  10:40:13 PM  Show Profile
Granted, Brett used much of his own resource material to compile The Island Music Source Book -- but he also was given the decades-old filing system (3x5 cards!) used by House of Music. Now THAT was a treasure! Mahalo for mentioning that Sterling Mossman's LP was missing from the book -- and I've got that vinyl!!!

Yes, the book has it flaws -- but it's the best we've gotten so far. My main gripe about it is that medleys are bunched as one long tune, instead of as separate mele...so it's easy to overlook a particular mele. Erk.

And that is why <ahem> I have the book in Excel spreadsheet format (mahalo NUI loa to my tech-wizard husband!). Each song has its own line, and I've added info about composers, guest musicians, etc., for my own use. The task of adding all new releases since 1995 was begun about two years ago...definitely a spare-time only effort for us. I think we're all the way up to 1998...

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  11:54:09 PM  Show Profile
Auntie Maria,

I thought you were retired!

Julie

(Say Hi to Bob in Shipping!)
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  04:17:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:

Granted, Brett used much of his own resource material to compile The Island Music Source Book -- but he also was given the decades-old filing system (3x5 cards!) used by House of Music. Now THAT was a treasure! Mahalo for mentioning that Sterling Mossman's LP was missing from the book -- and I've got that vinyl!!!

Yes, the book has it flaws -- but it's the best we've gotten so far. My main gripe about it is that medleys are bunched as one long tune, instead of as separate mele...so it's easy to overlook a particular mele. Erk.

And that is why <ahem> I have the book in Excel spreadsheet format (mahalo NUI loa to my tech-wizard husband!). Each song has its own line, and I've added info about composers, guest musicians, etc., for my own use. The task of adding all new releases since 1995 was begun about two years ago...definitely a spare-time only effort for us. I think we're all the way up to 1998...

REALLY? You have the charge of bringing the book up-to-date in a second edition? I can't wait! (And I would prefer it electronically, if that were possible.) Mahalo a nui loa!

Oh, heck, this only makes sense as you are the authority on everything that has been released in the CD era. Everything has passed through mele.com at least once!?

If you would like a list of the recordings I have found to be missing from the first edition, please let me know. That would be my privilege and honor.

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  3:05:49 PM  Show Profile
Bill, our electronic version is just for us -- Bob's a techno-weenie and loves to dive into projects I suggest. I got tired of hauling out Brett's big book, thumbing through the pages, trying to read that small print with my old eyes. Our spreadsheet is heaven!

Julie -- not retired, just tired!

Retro -- oh how I wish I had 48-hour days and 14-day weeks! So many things we want to do; so little available time...all this darn message board fun, and the danged weekends on O`ahu for concerts and hanging with musicians...such a drag!

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  9:12:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:

Bill, our electronic version is just for us -- Bob's a techno-weenie and loves to dive into projects I suggest. I got tired of hauling out Brett's big book, thumbing through the pages, trying to read that small print with my old eyes. Our spreadsheet is heaven!

I am officially jealous.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000