Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Organizing and Protecting sacred tabs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  09:27:22 AM  Show Profile
While I will admit to some form of ADD, or at least a poor organizational ethic...
I do save, make dups, and protect my tabs...Ozzie's and others are sacred.

And when traveling, I always take photo-copies, no originals leave the house.
On special favorites (which can be numerous) I have multiple backups.. And then of course I get more confused!
But so far, all are pretty safe in music folders...which are taking over this music teacher's house! But the ones I use and mark most on, get banged-up!
I even have put one in plastic and studied at the pool while I swim laps...but usually that's for the lyrics to the Hawaiian songs I struggle to learn...
People think it's a little odd to sing in the pool...
but hey, it's just like whale song, or singing in a heavy Hilo rain!

But for the useful library of tab...Should I have a binder with plastic sleeves?
What are the more methodically mad pickers using out there?
I've seen some nicely organized people at camp...
But I also like to be able to spread the mutiple page tabs out...
3 ring binders?
Plastic page covers available at Office Max?

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  10:44:10 AM  Show Profile
Sarah and I have almost every source of slack key tab and sheet music ever produced. We also have tabs and sheet music of our own compositions and arrangements in various stages of completion.

Sarah and I put most tabs, lyrics, composition fragments, - not all (for various reasons) into plastic sleeves in 3 ring binders.

The ones we don't file like that are those in progress, or those in folders we have gotten in various workshops and camps, or those in books - or those that defy easy classification. We also have multiple copies of some things. Everything to do with slack key and Hawaiian music is on one large shelf of a built-in wall bookcase.

Some tabs and sheet music that we produce are "filed" in small piles on top of the binders, so we can get at them quickly.

There are also tabs that I have transcribed in Powertab that live in various computers.

I don't think anyone can be totally anal about this stuff or nothing but filing would be done - and I am not about to create a computer database of references, or whatever - I used to get paid lots for doing that kind of thing and that is classified as WORK.

However, we would be really, really upset if our "library" got damaged or lost.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  11:24:54 AM  Show Profile
I *mostly* try to keep mine in plastic sleeves in a three-ring binder. For songs needing more than two pages, I use the fold over sleeves available in most office stores. If the original has both musical notation and tabs, I will make a strictly tab version for practice using Finale Guitar so that I can get about twice as much music on a single sheet. It may or may not matter, but I do annotate my abbreviated copy with the appropriate copyright information from the original. It's no big deal since FG prompts for that when you create a new file anyway. The most pages I need to see at once so far is three, but it would be possible to have four pages visible at once, so no interruptions for those pesky page turns.

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  11:51:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
I literally have thousands of pages of Hawaiian music that I have collected over the years. In order to keep things organized, once the music has been transcribed or scanned to Finale I simply create pdf file copies which are then archived to several hard drives for working copies and easy update. I also archive to DVD every month. This saves a lot of trees and I can continually update my working files through Adobe Acrobat.
Peter

Edited by - Peter Medeiros on 02/15/2008 11:53:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  07:17:33 AM  Show Profile
I'd forgotten to check out my own post!!!
For 8 1/2 x 11, and travelling with hard copies, the old 3 ring with plastic sleeves is a good ticket...
And I'm still on the tightwad fence about software...Sibelius, Finale etc...
They couldn't scan music symbols when I was using Finale in the 90's...
plus framing errors and other headaches with a large orchestra score.
I'm sure most of that is ancient history, and those bugs are not a problem.
Sibelius appears more versatile, but is pricey for my occassional use and limited techie attitude.

And, I have scores of hand music manuscipt (mostly on 11x13 double sheets) and these are written on the softer shade of vanilla sheets!
Between the slow input and hand writting that a computer couldn't love, I'm watching them weather over time...
Lots of them represent 3-4 hours each of transcibing time--valued--fairly accurate work, which cover everything from Mark O'Connor and Stephan Grappelli to Ozzie and other challenging slack key recordings done on "leisure" time over 20 years or so...

Not publishable, and probably only of interest to myself or a limited few.
The over-size sheets, and difficulty of photocopying/scanning hand writing on vanilla background clearly may require time-consuming hand input -so I'll have to select the most precious of these charts!
yikes.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 02/21/2008 07:28:03 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000