Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 What's the traditional role of the ukulele?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2003 :  10:11:38 PM  Show Profile
I'm a fairly new ukulele player. I've got a bunch of collections of music - primarily the Jumpin' Jim books. Lots of standards from the American popular music realm.

I'm wondering what the traditional role of the ukulele is or was? Primarily a rhythm instrument accompanying vocals? A lead instrument? Solo? In a group?

I'm pondering getting a collection of old ukulele methods (from 1914 onward) that I thought might give me a better idea of where the uke fit in traditionally. I realize, of course, a uke can do anything the player wants it to do, but I wanted some historical perspective.

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  2:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha e john, that's a good question. i would guess that it's like the guitar - an instrument that was used to accompany singing. but, virtuoso ukulele players were certainly around by the early part of the 20th century. the instrument it is derived from (with some dispute) is used to accompany singing.

good luck, and enjoy them ukes,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  01:00:49 AM  Show Profile
I think Keith is right on - I'm hardly a musical historian, but I find it interesting, and I used to work for an old-time music store. Modern sheet music will generally have the vocal melody, both hands of the piano, and then charts on how to strum the open guitar chords, but older (much older) sheet music will replace the guitar chords with ukulele chords.

I get the impression that jamming together and just playing instruments was a much more common social thing to do back in the past. For a ways, ukes were the main instrument to do it on - Martin sold far more ukes than guitars before the war. There were also weird variants, like banjo-ukes were pretty popular.

The other random thing I think is interesting: with the first trip to the North Pole, one of the explorers brought an uke with him. He hoped to introduce the instrument to eskimos, but I guess his trip didn't take him past any.
Go to Top of Page

benjammin
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  01:21:47 AM  Show Profile
to play to the beautiful ladies!
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2003 :  9:55:15 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, John,

There are a variety of traditions, including strumming chords to fancy finger picking. The bottom line with both traditions is to make beautiful music.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2003 :  12:11:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
The traditional role of my ukulele is to make my parlor guitar feel less inferior as it sits next to my dreadnaught. Some day I plan on learning how to play it, at which point its role may change.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2003 :  2:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
the ukulele was traditionally built for use as an aid to intimate serenade, the up close and personal serenade. in other words, it was made to be played to get laid.

Uke Jackson, from farmers markets to festival mainstages, from crossroads cafes to cosmopolitan cabarets
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2003 :  6:52:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
all of the above...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: