Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Mark Ho`omalu article
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  09:58:54 AM  Show Profile
From Mid-Week, very interesting article about Kaleponi na kumu hula Mark Ho`omalu and Patrick Makuakane -- and the Merrie Monarch Festival:
http://www.midweek.com/content/columns/justthoughts_article/those_brash_new_boys_of_hula/

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  10:48:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Auntie - my son, daughter and nephews dance for Kumu Mark Keali`i Ho`omalu and the Academy of Hawaiian Arts (AHA), and at this point, there's nobody else they'd prefer to dance for. Their dedication and those of their hula brothers and sisters, is unwaivering. Unfortunately Kumu Mark has gained an unfavorable reputation not only amongst other kumu hula but in some cases, the public as well, formed primarily as a result of their unfamiliarity with him personally and of his passion for Hawaii - the aina, the people, their culture, the dance. Admittedly, I was one of them but after having the opportunity of getting to know him better, I'm now a huge fan, and I'm glad that my children are haumana of Kumu Mark Keali`i Ho`omalu and the Academy of Hawaiian Arts (AHA). Rest assured that I'll be rooting loud and proud for them at the upcoming Merrie Monarch...

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  3:28:28 PM  Show Profile
We got our first glimpse of Mark's talent in 1995 -- when our hui (PICA) asked him to open our annual San Francisco Aloha Festival that year (and he's either opened or closed it, every year since):
http://www.pica-org.org/

I've been one of his cheerleaders ever since...yes, he's progressive and yes, he can be brash...but his choreography and chanting are without peer. There was a time when hula `auana was considered inappropriate; ditto for hapa-haole mele. Change takes time...Mark -- and marvelous Patrick Makuakane -- are pioneers of "new" hula. Love 'em both!!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  3:58:56 PM  Show Profile
There is lots more unsaid to Kumu Mark's story - including how his haumana once let him down. There is lots unsaid about many of the kumus' stories. It is a very small, very puzzling community. FWIW, we think he is a wonderful talent and well within the limits that Uncle George Naope once set. We saw him and his halau at MM, talked to his haumana on planes and have all his recordings. One of his chants - more a song, about a cricket, is part of our repertoire. We wish him, and them, well.

Too much backbiting and not enough art. Just do it.

...Reid

PS. In NYC, once, after a performance, Kumu Makuakane complimented Sarah on her T-shirt - "Nice shirt". Yes, it was. So, was she. So, Makuakane and I have the same taste in womens' T- shirts. Makes him OK in my book. :-)

Edited by - Reid on 04/02/2008 4:04:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

ArtSap
Lokahi

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  07:16:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit ArtSap's Homepage  Send ArtSap a Yahoo! Message
Kumu Patrick is very personable and thoroughly enjoys what he does and although he rarely, if ever shows it, Kumu Mark can be kolohe too. These two kumu hula are extremely talented individuals, who happen to have a great deal of respect for one another - and we're fortunate to have them in the SF Bay Area.

Art
SF Bay Area, CA / Mililani, HI
"The real music comes from within you - not from the instrument"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000