Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Slack Key Book Progression
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  05:00:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message
Aloha Kakou~~

Im wondering which book should i get...

No offense to anyone in advance if I say something u no like..

I have the Ozzie Kotani book and the red book from Leonard Kwan and I really like them both.. I havent really learned the red book much yet, but I really like it and Ozzies.

I also have the Mark Hansen book but it doesnt have the full songs only some short clips from the song, then it has the slow version but I cant really get how it might really sound.. i will probaby buy the individual songs from iTunes but they probably have the different versions than the book anyway.. and I feel Hansen version probably not exactly what we hear on the albums anyway cus it seems he got the tabs from the artists themselves that played some special version for Mark.. just my feeling.. you know, cus even the different albums have different versions even from the same artist eh?

anyway... its not really interesting for me right now, i dont really feel up to playing it really yet. but Im looking for another book that would be the next step after Ozzies.. I really like his style and I am kinda hoping he will make another one before i finish with his book so i can just get the full beneft of his teaching style...

i see there are many books .. some Mark Nelson books.. I dont really like learning from a Haole though.. and I really like the true Hawaiian heritage kind of experience I get with Ozzie.. Kind of my problem with the Mark Hansen "masters of slack key" book too.. sure he has some aloha and all that, but I really just dont feel interested at all to learn any of the haole guitar theory or techniques, and thats the kind of feeling i get from the Nelsons book too.

In fact I usually hate haole guitar, i only can stand to play the hawaiian slack key, an everytime some haole aspects are brought into it i really lose my motivation to play at all. i feel kind of sick..

but i like some spanish guitar styles, the old flamenco... but I really dont like American Guitar, only slack-key basically, besides the flamenco, and I only like the flamenco cus it reminds me of how the hawaiians maybe first heard the guitar played.. and i think about what they thought about, etc...

so anyone here know any real Hawaiian kine KiHo'alu from real Hawaiian kine guys? in the pure sense of slack key, without the influence of the american style guitar involved?

I know Keola Beamer has always been one of my favorite Hawaiian Musicians, should I go for his book? does the Beginning lesson of Keola's have some good stuff if you already finished the Ozzie book? i dont really know the next step from ozzie's, maybe the intermediate of Keola's would be better from the beginner, as a progression? I dont know about Keolas teaching style ,m but i really like Ozzie's progression ...

so ya, can anyone recommend a more Hawaiian book, kind of good for the level after Ozzies?

mahalos to everybody who help me.

Na Ke Akua E Malama Kakou

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  05:15:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Sir, I'm a bit embarrassed for you. What you feel is what you feel, but to start perhaps you should ask Ozzie about his Hawaiian heritage - or lack of it.

Then you should possibly think very very deeply about the history of Hawaiian music and its relationship to sources outside Hawai`i. Consider the origin of the guitar itself, perhaps. Learn a bit about the development of Gabby's style, of Keola's, and so on.

Good luck,
Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 04/10/2008 05:19:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  05:53:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
True Hawaiian slack key players learn by example, not from books. Books are for haoles.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 04/10/2008 05:53:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  05:57:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry

your embarrased, for me... and my thoughts are my thoughts.. but your embarassments are mine, and my embarrasments are yours..

KiHo'Alu is reflective of the Hawaiian people, creative, flexible, adaptive, changing, evolving, patient, enduring, tolerant, and patient again.

Hawaiian Ki Ho'Alu is Hawaiian, just like Hawaii is Hawaiian. or the Ukulele is Hawaiian. if attirbuting as much of it as possible to haole is your way of feeling it belongs to you too, then go for it.

Hawaiian is Hawaiian.

Local is Local.

please dont confuse the two.

you have the right to call Hula the invention of Foreigners as well, as all you know of Hula is foreign influenced.

I said I like the Spanish Guitar, somewhat, in that it represents the origin of Hawaiian KiHo'alu. but the true Origin is the Hawaiian soul and spirit, which Hawaii Nei bestows upon who it will, it is not up to Hawaiians to decide who is blessed by the Gods and who is not.

But we believe it to be blessed, by the Gods. aand thus the like o Ozzie Kotani arise and prosper and are blessed by the Mana of the people, a gift from the Gods, for the benefit and prosperity of Hawaii Nei.

I personally HATE American guitar, regardless if blues, or some other styles have influeced more modern slack key.

the KiHo'alu style was a creation by the Hawaiiansm and their ingenius, and is accredited to them.. WALE NO!!~~!!~

im glad you find pleasure in it too. and maybe you can write a book someday to help others.

In fact, I should be learning in Na Kuahiwi Kapu, but I live in China. I am Hawaiian.

I respect who Hawaii respects, and love who the islands, the rocks, love.

wale no.

and i wish you the best ...

now please go away...

I posted in Taropatch.net for lack of slack key resources in China.

wale no.

and I posted an inquiry to that end,

wale no.

and would appreciate a real response, From a real Hawaiian, or some who knows their place.

wale no.

aiy.. I'll make it more clear, **haoles no need bother reply**

just local kine respones please

cus i no need for hear dis kine 'opala...

mahalos

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  06:04:20 AM  Show Profile
Yikes. Pono is pono. Not pono is not pono - regardless haole or kanaka maoli.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  06:09:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by cpatch

True Hawaiian slack key players learn by example, not from books. Books are for haoles.

ya.. i learned a little.. but now I live in China.. and i wish i would have learned before.. but i think a guy like Ozzie can produce styles good for learning by Hawaiians.

He's really done alot to perpetuate the Art, and I can see from his book that he's really been a great teacher in the old style way.. and Much Mahalos to Ozzie for his much Aloha and Selfless approach to his release of the book, it really is what the old Masters would regard as something special... He really does justice to the style and the true spirit of Hawaii and KiHo'alu. i wish there were more guys like him out there.

Go to Top of Page

Tetapu
Akahai

China
98 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  06:16:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tetapu's Homepage  Click to see Tetapu's MSN Messenger address  Send Tetapu a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Yikes. Pono is pono. Not pono is not pono - regardless haole or kanaka maoli.

ya, like I said.. i didnt come for argue, and I put a small kine disclaimer at the beginning of my post apologizing to guys that might get offended eh? so what else I gotta do ? anyway.. Talk to olos about pono..

I had one simple question, that required one simple answer..

and i stated my problem was everytime i heard some haole crap in the lesson plan I just like break my frikkin guitar... so what? its my feeling... they are my feelings as olos puts it.

so i wanted some true Hawaiian style guitar like Ozzies... thats it.. i no like argue about who is roght or wrong.. or what is or isnt pono.

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  06:35:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Kawika, no doubt your thoughts and feelings are legitimate. Different kinds of music affect us all in a multitude of different ways, and I can see how you want your learning experience to be of a very specific style or heritage.

But I think most participants in this forum would agree that TaroPatch.net is not an appropriate home for the expression of hate. Let's keep it about the music, and not about the ancestry of the musicians - every culture brings its dishes to the table; you don't have to eat everything that's offered, but there's no need to denigrate the foods you don't want.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2008 :  06:48:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I thought it was cool to have a slack key player living in China posting here. BTW, I think there is another guy in Shanghai.

I am with you 100% about Ozzie. I also agree that you have a right to have your own thoughts.

Where we differ is that by saying "sorry in advance" does not give you license to go offending people.

quote:
Tetapu wrote:

aiy.. I'll make it more clear, **haoles no need bother reply**

just local kine respones please
This is a community. Since starting it, I've wanted to promote and welcome diversity. The more people and views here the merrier... with the caveat that people must respect one another.

Differing views are great. Excluding groups of people and being offensive is not.

The initial question was a good one so it's a pity that I have to lock this topic. I don't see this thread going anywhere but down.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000