Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Girigiris
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  07:23:56 AM  Show Profile
In case you are a haole mid-west person like me, who does not speak da kine so well, here is the definition. Someone seems to be, ahem, perhaps commenting on Guava Sunrise's coiffure.

From the searchable on-line Pidgin dictionary at: http://www.e-hawaii.com/fun/pidgin/showTerm.asp?letter=G

girigiri(ghi rhi ghi rhi)

Definition: The swirly part in an Asian person's hair, usually in a circle
Used In A Sentence: Kenji get one beeg girigiri yeah?
In English?: Would you look at the top of Kenji's head? What a big part in his hair!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  07:50:04 AM  Show Profile
GS attributes (blames?) (credits?) his rascal nature to the number of his girigiris, which seems to ebb and flow depending on his mood on any given day. I am very superstitious and have heard of many Japanese superstitions, but I had never heard this one until GS started using it. I think the reason he often wears a baseball cap is to hide the actual number of girigiris he has.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  09:10:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

In case you are a haole mid-west person like me, who does not speak da kine so well...
As someone who could also fit that description, Wanda, I sometimes find the best response is to just smile, chuckle, or otherwise silently appear to know what they are talking about - even when I haven't the faintest clue. Eventually, I get 'em from context --- sometimes; if the universe aligns just right.

Kinda the same thing with Hawaiian music, you know?
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  09:37:46 AM  Show Profile
quote:

In case you are a haole mid-west person like me, who does not speak da kine so well, here is the definition. Someone seems to be, ahem, perhaps commenting on Guava Sunrise's coiffure.

As one non-haole ... i dunno wat one coiffure stay ... BUT ... according to Japanese culture, 2 girigiri = one rascal buggah :-)

I bet bruddah gs get couple of those ... :-D

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  10:05:34 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by da_joka

As one non-haole ... i dunno wat one coiffure stay ... BUT ... according to Japanese culture, 2 girigiri = one rascal buggah :-)

I bet bruddah gs get couple of those ... :-D

I tink I get more den 3...

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  10:43:24 AM  Show Profile
I get da kine after I wake up from a nap. I thought it was called "bed head". And yes, I am allowed to take a nap. Recovering heart patient, you know. (Patient heart, too). No get nap jeolousy. Old lady as well.

Try one blow dryer. Maybe some hairspray, too.

Braddah Ed - You think you are a rascal, but you do not fool me. I know you are a nice guy. But I won't let that little secret out of the bag -- it will be just between you and I.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  10:49:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:

Braddah Ed - You think you are a rascal, but you do not fool me. I know you are a nice guy. But I won't let that little secret out of the bag -- it will be just between you and I.
Braddah Ed is one nice guy for sure, who acts like a rascal - you are right about that, Wanda.

But, deep down insai --- way, way in his heart --- where it really, truly matters?

Stay one kolohe buggah.

Brah - can post that five-giri pitcha hea, o wat? (Man, my haole-kine-pidgin attempts are really embarassing sometimes...)
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  10:52:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Hey Wanda here on the East Coast we called em "Cow Licks" and I got three so Guess that explains why I let it be curly and do what ever it wants.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  10:59:47 AM  Show Profile
This link has a good picture of what 2 girigiri looks like
http://steventsuchida.blogspot.com/2007/03/blog-post.html
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  12:42:47 PM  Show Profile
And remember......those men who have girigiri at least have hair. Hard to see it on a bald head. Nothing upsets guys more than having gray hair except having skin colored hair.

Remember Opie Taylor on Andy Griffith show -- he had girigiri. I am sure there must be other famous girigiri guys.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  1:39:10 PM  Show Profile
Not bald...Just one big girigiri.
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  2:13:45 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

Brah - can post that five-giri pitcha hea, o wat? (Man, my haole-kine-pidgin attempts are really embarassing sometimes...)
Why? Notting wrong to me wit dat pidgin post.

Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  2:18:28 PM  Show Profile
Gregg, maybe you'd better stick to plain English! It's interesting how pidgin works even within a family like mine. My wife our son and I can speak either way and sound natural. Our daughter, on the other hand, could not speak pidgin and sound natural to save her life!

As for girigiri's, I have only one so naturally I'm a very sedate and mild-mannered good person!;-)

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  2:46:58 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by NANI

Hey Wanda here on the East Coast we called em "Cow Licks" and I got three so Guess that explains why I let it be curly and do what ever it wants.
Hey Nancy, I always wondered about that. Is it because that's what it looks like after a cow licks your head? Seriously, that's it, isn't it?

You inland and east coast folks are weird that way, especially the ones with three giri giris.

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  4:53:20 PM  Show Profile
I used to have a "cowlick" until I developed my Dad's haircut. Now I have a hat collection. I keep on asking if my part is straight, but folks don't take me seriously.
For real good girigiri "jus' press".
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  5:18:36 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

I used to have a "cowlick" until I developed my Dad's haircut. Now I have a hat collection.
Brah, dat is too funny.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000