Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Hui Aloha's "Kaimana Hila"
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  06:55:29 AM  Show Profile
Dennis or David -- if you are out there in Cyber-Space, help us out. Or any you other guys who know the answer.

Here is the link: http://www.mele.com/hawaiianMP3s/1537_11.mp3

We were listening to Hui Aloha last night (because someone has it in the truck and I cannot listen to it at home), and I just LOVE the way Martin sings "Kaimana Hila". Also quite unique on this verson of that song is the intro. Kind of like the Gabby and also Dennis/David intro to `Ulili E".

To me it sounds like either Donovan's "Sunshine Superman" or Eric Burdon's "San Francisco Nights".

Anyone care to elucidate?

Also, I must comment that young David is quite the accomplished `ukulele player - even at the time this recording was made.. This was 8 years ago, when he was but a keiki. Some pretty darn swell pickin' and sweet tone.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 04/19/2008 08:03:53 AM

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2008 :  6:53:20 PM  Show Profile
Cheee- I only had it in the truck for 7-8 days. And I brought it in today after I went for groceries.Not like I cockaroach it or something.It was in the house all these months.I don't get no respect. Now Gary Mcmahan Live In Elko, he been in my truck for three years,along with John Hartford's Hamilton Ironworks.You might never see them till I retire.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello

Edited by - rendesvous1840 on 04/19/2008 6:56:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  1:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Wanda said: I just LOVE the way Martin sings "Kaimana Hila".

I love the way Martin P. sings anything.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2008 :  10:14:48 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

Wanda said: I just LOVE the way Martin sings "Kaimana Hila".

I love the way Martin P. sings anything.
Most embarrassing moment #1380:

Was maybe 3-4 years ago during a visit back home when I took da wife cruising down Waimanalo side and decided to pull over at da Makai Pier located just beyond Sea Life Park and where local fishermen go for catching halalu or sardines whenever they're swarming.

After checking out the pier and returning to our car, I'm just about to leave and pull back onto Kalanianaole Highway when I see Martin Pahinui pulling in with his pickup truck which has seen better years. And so I tell my wife, "Eh babe, try look. That's Martin Pahinui pulling in right now. And so I re-parked the car and went over to tell Martin howzit and to talk story little bit before letting him go fishing or whatever it was that he came for. So he sees me as I'm approaching his truck and smiles and tells me howzit and I return his greeting by telling him, "Eh howzit Cyril, how you?"

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  01:21:52 AM  Show Profile
But I bet Martin would just laugh. He is one of the sweetest, kindest, nicest, darling-est, funniest, talented-est guys I ever met. He is always free with the hugs and loves to talk story. I hope he wasn't on his way to the port-o-let.

Did your face turn red? Did your wife laugh at you? No, I think she would not -- she would be sensitive to your embarrassing moment. But chee -you up to #1380 already?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  04:02:43 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Did your wife laugh at you?
Yes, she did. She laughed at me, and not with me. *sigh*
quote:
But I bet Martin would just laugh.
Of course he did.
quote:
Did your face turn red?
That's why he did.

Go to Top of Page

naukilo
Lokahi

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  02:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit naukilo's Homepage  Send naukilo an AOL message
Howzit Paul and Wanda,

The intro we (Hui Aloha) used on Kaimana Hila is similar to Gabby's intro to Hula O Makee.

Aloha,
Dennis Kamakahi
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  03:45:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Which reminds me a lot of the Stones "Let's Spend the Night Together."

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  04:21:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Fran Guidry

Which reminds me a lot of the Stones "Let's Spend the Night Together."

Fran

For an almost direct quote of the Stones' "Let's Spend The Night Together," listen to the intro of the Sunday Manoa's "Kawika." Peter Moon was unabashed about his passion for the Stones, and it was a popular radio mix back in the day to play this Sunday Manoa cut and the Stones cut back-to-back.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  04:53:04 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Dennis. That is one of the best recordings ever -- all you guys. And the rest of you guys, don't forget those Na O`iwi recordings, too. Oh so good.

Well Paul said that on the Gabby recording, the guitar is playing the whole intro up and down the scale, whereas on the Hui Aloha, guitar is playing down and `ukulele is playing up and they meet at the 7th. No matter, they both are swell. I like the creative intros vs. just jumping right in. My maw used to say "we're gonna play now" and start right in, jalike on Hee-Haw. One time at Halloween party, we had a "Gong Show". My maw, Paul's mama and Paul played "She'll be comin' round the mountain". My maw played warshboard, Paul played banjer and his mama played tambourine. My maw intro'd with "we're gonna play now" and then when they were finished, she said "We're all through now.". They won the Gong Show. Hey we were ahead of our times -- that was way before American Idol. And Paul was wearing Hawaiian shirts even back then.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2008 :  1:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Interestingly enough, when I hear the Hawaiian Style Band do it, Robi sings "a ike i ka nani 'o Kaimana Hila." Can it be sung either way?

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000