Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Exercise to strengthen your hands
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  2:50:26 PM  Show Profile
Put your hands face down on a flat surface. Practice lifting the fingers, one at a time. Start with the thumb. Lift it while ensuring the other fingers remain flat on the table. Continue with all the other fingers one at a time. Do five sets on each hand. If you cannot lift the ring finger or the pinky, you may have ulnar nerve damage. If you cannot lift the index or middle finger, you may have carpal tunnel issues.

Next do the same positioning of the hands, however, this time, bend the middle finger under so that only the last knuckle joint is showing. Put your hand flat on the table as before. Repeat the individual lifting of your fingers, while ensuring the middle finger stays bent under. Lift each finger 5 times. You will get strong like bull.

When you are finished this simple exercise, please let me know how it worked out for you.

Also another good test to see if you may have carpal tunnel nerve entrapment is to hold your arms straight out in front of you at shoulder height. Bend your elbows at a 90 degree angle so that each elbow is pointing outward and your hands are pointing to each other in front of your chest, i.e., hands and forearms parallel to your chest. Now press your hands against each other back to back. Not palms touching, turn your hands the other way. Back to back, with fingers pointing down and wrist bones touching each other on the top of your hands, not the palms. Now push each hand against the other as hard as you can (but not hard enough to break your wrists, please). Does it hurt? Do you feel muscles pulling and pain or tingling in your hands? If so, you should have a doctor check you out for carpal tunnel syndrome. That is a frequent repetitive motion problem for musicians.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  3:18:07 PM  Show Profile
Eh Ma, would you have any therapy suggestions for hem...hemorr...

Forget it.

Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  4:39:59 PM  Show Profile
Can you really lift your ring finger when the middle finger is bent under so only one joint shows?

I never could...

Chris
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  5:43:58 PM  Show Profile
Chris - you are so akamai!

Braddah Ed: You just tie rubber band around them very, very tightly (this only works for external ones). In a while you hemo the hemorr....

Remember, Ma has a country cure for any kine.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2008 :  7:09:15 PM  Show Profile
In the more than you need to know category --
I had that "banding" done for a 'rhoid - when the doc snapped it on I passed out from the pain. Afterwards he said, "Oh, I guess I forgot to tell you, this is going to feel sort of like a rat biting your a--." As I said, more than you need to know.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000