Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Cover art=lost art?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  07:21:50 AM  Show Profile
If anyone thinks the Talk Story topics seem a little heavy this week, with pickets at churches and what-not, please see this example of yet another reason that I regret purchasing so much of my music now as downloads: besides missing out on liner notes (couldn’t read the small print anyhow), I’m feeling a bit nostalgic for the lost cover art.

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  08:56:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
What a hoot! What were they thinking?

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  09:50:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
I was disappointed to discover that I only own one of these albums (Terry Riley, #39).
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  10:43:41 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

I was disappointed to discover that I only own one of these albums (Terry Riley, #39).

Well, I'm quite happy to say that I don't own any.

And probably wouldn't admit to it, if I did!

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  3:22:11 PM  Show Profile
I loved the "Sour Cream and Other Delights" cover!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  4:24:10 PM  Show Profile
You're pretty brave, Greg! Can you play any of the songs on the album?

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2008 :  7:22:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by javeiro

You're pretty brave, Greg! Can you play any of the songs on the album?

Well, there's only one song per side, one is 18:40, the other 21:40, and they are both extended improvisations. Side A, "A Rainbow In Curved Air," features Riley on electric organ, electric harpsichord, "rocksichord"(?), dumbec and tambourine; while side B, "Poppy Nogood & the Phantom Band," is for soprano sax and electric organ.

Riley is an experimental composer, often considered one of the early minimalists for his seminal work, "In C." This particular album features some very rock-influenced rhythmic patterns, and preceeded the "trance" music movement by almost thirty years.

And yes, I can play both works. On my turntable.
Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2008 :  2:57:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
Based on your posting I was expecting something light and uplifting but that link was almost as disturbing as the church of hate(OK not that bad!!!).

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  06:26:40 AM  Show Profile
You must mean "Whipped Cream And Other Delights", not sour cream. Shoulda paid more attention to the writing, and less to the picture, Chris. http://www.amazon.com/Whipped-Cream-Other-Delights-Anniversary/dp/B0007MRXUQ/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1212337624&sr=8-2
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello

Edited by - rendesvous1840 on 06/01/2008 06:27:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  08:05:54 AM  Show Profile
Yikes.

But I do love the art on the album covers. I have a glass door on my "entertainment center". I keep a record cover iin there facing out so as to display the art. Sometimes I change it around to suit the season or something, such as Irish Rovers for St. Patrick's Day. I think right now it has "Slack Key Giants" with a line drawing of a BEEEEG slack key player towering over everything. The guy in the line drawing looks like Ledward.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  1:59:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ypochris

I loved the "Sour Cream and Other Delights" cover!
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

You must mean "Whipped Cream And Other Delights", not sour cream.
Paul - try look #4 on the original link.
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  3:00:57 PM  Show Profile
"You must mean "Whipped Cream And Other Delights", not sour cream."

No, was sour cream, and a group of older ladies. But I'm glad you posted that link because now I understand the humor of it (beyond a group of older women having a good time!)- it was obviously a takeoff on the "whipped cream" cover.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  10:39:47 AM  Show Profile
Wanda says to me "Didn't you look at the pitchers on that thread?" I said "Pitchers? I didn't know there was a ball game. I never saw the stadium!"Then she said something about links, but since we came home, we ain't supposed to eat no sausage and salt and fat no more. I'm just confusicated. Now, back to the rescussion, no more getting off on tangerines.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  10:42:33 AM  Show Profile
O,I C.
Paul

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000