Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Loco Moco Variation--Opinions?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  6:59:50 PM  Show Profile
After confabbing with friends, I think I have a variation of the classic:
A pattie of pork sausage (bulk or bratwurst) fried, topping 1) rice (classic), 2) home fried potatoes, or 3) mashed potatoes (retro's suggestion) with (or without for retro) the fried egg, covered with white pork sausage gravy.
Any alternate names and or opinions are welcome. Tums are your own responsibility.

Edited by - thumbstruck on 05/31/2008 8:19:57 PM

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  7:54:36 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

A pattie of pork sausage (bulk or bratwurst) fried, topping 1) rice (classic), 2) home fried potatoes, or 3) mashed potatoes (retro's suggestion) with (or without for retro) the fried egg, covered with white pork sausage gravy.
Braddah Kory, dass not one Loco Moco. Dat sounds like one good excuse to drive down south and run over a pig.

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  8:07:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
The classic loco moco I have had is white rice, hamburger patty, fried egg and brown gravy. But yours sounds 'ono: The New Breakfast from Denny's...The Artery Slam!

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  10:50:06 PM  Show Profile
Eh, Kory. Howzit. That sounds like a West Virginia breakfast. Gotta have the sausage and gravy. Taters are optional, but have to be left over from supper the night before. The gravy has to be made fresh every morning, though. Any left over gravy, you let get cold and congealed, then throw it outside for the chickens and the hound dogs. Funny to watch chickens eat the gravy but they love it.

Back in the day when I would make and love to eat loco moco, I made the burgers, but had to put chopped onion and garlic in the burgers before frying. Then I put the burger and one fried egg on top da rice, then brown gravy on top. I would make da gravy with a box of Kitchen Basics brand beef stock (the best store bought beef stock, and even still not too bad on salt content). Can use the grease left over from the burger to make the roux or can use a monounsaturated fat oil such as canola or olive oil.

You know, now that I think about it, I can make the moco loco to fit the new diet. Just use 90% lean or better ground beef. Can have up to 3 eggs a week, so could put one egg on top. Could make the low salt, lower fat version of gravy. Only put a wee bit of salt when cooking the rice. Just don't need a burger that is as big as the plate. Portion size would be the control factor here. I used to put shoyu in the gravy, but I would probably leave that out now. I might kick up the gravy flavor-wise with sauteed shiitake and onions.

Shootz. I am just home from Hawai`i and now you are making me hungry already. Duke and Jay made sure to feed me well. Look at Braddah Ed's post card I sent him from Hawai`i to see the damage Jay wen do from how good he fed us! (in the Butter Mochi thread)

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  02:47:44 AM  Show Profile
Wanda-

No need salt in the rice- never heard of such a thing! Cook it with just water, or add a spoonful of olive oil, and save the salt for something that needs it. I wouldn't want salt in my rice anyway; I eat the leftover with milk, cinnimon, and sugar in the morning or for dessert.

And the loco moco? Well, at L&L in Hilo where they claim to have invented it, they make um any kine- I kinda like the salmon loco. So anthing goes!

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  07:40:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Shootz. I am just home from Hawai`i and now you are making me hungry already.
As da Island way - am I right, `ohana?
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  08:52:39 AM  Show Profile
[Eh, Kory. Howzit. That sounds like a West Virginia breakfast. Gotta have the sausage and gravy. Taters are optional, but have to be left over from supper the night before. The gravy has to be made fresh every morning, though. Any left over gravy, you let get cold and congealed, then throw it outside for the chickens and the hound dogs. Funny to watch chickens eat the gravy but they love it.]

What? No mention of grits?? Instead of rice, y'all, for a Southern loco moco!

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  11:25:05 AM  Show Profile
Standard: Rice and eggs. Portions depend on how hungry. Unless go resturant, den get standard resturant portions.

Meat:
Hamburger: Can make anykine way: regular fry, teriyaki, onion/garlic/oystah sauce/ like Wanda, bugohgi burger, whateva culcha. An'den get spam. Spam "loco" was jus breakfast for plenny guys. Da usual spam and eggs and rice minus da gravy. Ja'like potagee sausage eggs and rice. Hawaii sausage different from mainland commercial and patties kine sausage. Plenny locals make their own especially if they go hunting. Get chunck meat rather than ground up kine stuff with anykine junk kine stuff.

My other variations:
Kalua pig
Ahi belly or smoked salmon belly
Salmon eggs
Tripe stew
Whateva you like wid eggs and rice!
If too lazy, no need gravy, jus put 3 eggs, An'den da egg yolks plus shoyu is da gravy. Den gotta go run 5 miles fo clear out da vessels.

Plenneh local guys put salt wen dey make musubi. I heard of some guys use salt wen dey cook, but usually no need since the foods get salt. Now days, wen I go fishing, I too lazy fo make musubi. I buy one bag poi (2-3 lbs, some expensive now), or one pot rice (2-3 cups -- guarantee no starve). One frying pan and oil (cuz I know I going catch something fo eat). Or if I too lazy to cook fish an clean da pan, I bring Kanaka salt, furikake (limu kine), and good knife fo make po'ke. You guys wen try po'ke loco minus da eggs? Nah, jes joke. Az jes fish and rice. In the unlikely event (airline talk) of "no mo fish" den furikake on rice is all I get -- plus bait if I desperate. No can help, once in a great while, da fish steh bolos. Gotta watch wen "menehune night". Mo betta no go. Da only thing necessary is da beer but only afta pau fishing cuz way too dangerous oddahwise. Az why I still alive!

My stuff might sound strange but some of yo stuff is real strange to me:
- loco with potato or grits. Dis is like playin bluegrass an den calling it slack key!!
- rice with milk and sugar Mo betta eat manini palu.

Edited by - Menpachi Man on 06/01/2008 11:34:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  12:41:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Menpachi Man

My other variations:
Kalua pig
Ahi belly or smoked salmon belly
Salmon eggs
Tripe stew
Whateva you like wid eggs and rice!
Yep, now da hard core guys stay showing face. Brah, kalua pig and eggs? You fo real o wat? Somehow da flavahs not mixing too good insai my mental opu.
quote:
If too lazy, no need gravy, jus put 3 eggs, An'den da egg yolks plus shoyu is da gravy.
Now DAT I can relate to. Runny egg yolks wit shoyu ontop rice is winnahs.
quote:
rice with milk and sugar Mo betta eat manini palu.
Manini palu? Dass pretty rough brah. One time I wen go try eat da purple wana wit da flat spines straight from da ocean and I no could hando, went straight back into da ocean. Also I remembah one time insai one Korean bar in Kapahulu dey been serve someting called namako and I tot da ting wen taste pretty good. Was only later on dat I found out da ting was da uji kine sea cucumber I used to see on da bottom of da ocean wit da long stringy white lines trailing all ova da place.

Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  2:21:53 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ypochris

And the loco moco? Well, at L&L in Hilo where they claim to have invented it . . .

Club 100 in Hilo says dey invented it too. But I guess it's controversial in Hilo.

quote:
Originally posted by Guava Sunrise someting called namako . . . was da uji kine sea cucumber

I nevah kaukau 'em, but my high school Japanese teacher said her husband (one bobora) liked em really really fresh, and da buggah would keep for long time in da fridge and stay movin'. Buggah sappose to be crunchy. I no t'ink I can handle.

Edited by - Momi on 06/01/2008 2:23:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  2:34:29 PM  Show Profile
Guava brah,Yu wen go KB? Wot brah, planneh times!!? haha, now all da secret steh come out. Yu wen go da bar wea Charlotte waz working ~30 yrs back? K-den, now my secret steh come out. k-den, I pau dis conversation.

Yeah, kalua pig loco, fo me taste good. Manini palu, I was jes joking. Da bugga is harsh, had to spit em out. I can do da smallah dried manini whole but still rough. Kinda bittah, da guts.

Da sea cucumbah (namako, or loli, I call em namako or loli cuz az from small kid time, eedah way ok), az da night time kine, da kine with da big bumps look like big smooth ibo (warts). Not da brown buggas wid da funneh kine sticky white string. Eh, da string is some stickeh no?! Haahd fo pull off. Had one oddah kine string too almos same kine from one puka. Yu touch em, dey all pull back.

Da nite time one, gotta get real good eye. Look like rock. An den, wen da watah steh shake, mo worse fo find. An gotta get brakish watah around. Hooah, I steh tell all my secrets. But no worry planneh guys no like eat wen dey see em. An get obake (ghost) too cuz wea get fresh watah useta have ole village. An den da ting look like slug wid beeg kine warts. Finding loli is haahd fo find, like looking fo tako wid camoflage. Gotta, wave da speah in front so da tako change colah an flush em out from camoflage or gotta know da puka wid shells around. Az how I spock em but I not so good. Dey can wave Hawaiian flag at me and still I no can see sometime. Da brown loli, no can eat (means I neva try). But eh, da brown one, sometime can use fo bait yu know, if you run out. Da humus and nenue, dey eat anykine. Certain place, once you palu wid makeral, get choke nenue an humus. Neva try da black kine tho. AnDen long ago can use dry-land opihi, da black kine on almos dry rock dat nobodeh like cuz da guts taste funneh kine. AnDen small kid time can use steal-da-house crab (hermit crab) too.

Da nite time loli (namako) good fo eat, shoyu, sugah, lemon or kalamanseh, daikon, lil bit vinegah. Taste like limu. Kinda chewy, an crunchy sometimes. Sometime softah. Get oddah kine recepie but fo me az da bestest. But wen you go pick em, gotta wash da han wid lemon and bring lemon down da beach. Once yu get em, poun em on da rock so come haahd, den cut both ends off, gut em and put plenny lemon juice insai zip lock bag so no melt. If da buggah melt -- pau ... all slime ... for realz ... like da horror movie kine slime... no can eat. Fo pick em gotta know da ground. Sand and smooth rock tide pools. Sometime in da deepah watah too if yu go nite dive. Gotta be dark nite tho, almost like menehune nite, once da brite moon come out -- pau - no mo -- bolos -- juz like aama, hahd fo catch in moonlite.

Da wana, black spiny kine, wid da spines go insai da skin kine, shake em in wide screen mesh to get all da spine off. Den eat da orange/yellow insai wid hawaiian salt. Not too much tho, kinda rich da buggahs. Can contribute to da hauna kine fut. Way mo worse kine fut if make kimchee style.

Couple times I wen get some planneh spines on my leg wen da wave wen bus me up in da tide pool. Some guyz say take a leak on em but me I no like. Jam up, no can pull da spikes cuz da buggahs all broke off and get barbs so no can yank em out. I just put vinegar on cloth and wrap em wid plastic on outsai, on da wound. Nex day da skin all black but da spikes no mo. Den pau soah.

heheh real local kine talk-story eh?

Edited by - Menpachi Man on 06/01/2008 2:57:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  2:54:57 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Menpachi Man

Yu wen go KB? Wot brah, planneh times!!? haha, now all da secret steh come out. Yu wen go da bar wea Charlotte waz working ~30 yrs back? K-den, now my secret steh come out. k-den, I pau dis conversation.
Brah. Arirang's on Kaheka St. is I tink where Charlotte first started. She wen grad same year and high school as me. Unreal because back den she was da kine real quiet no wear makeup keep to herself science and math clubs honor roll bookworm type.

Anden BAM!!! Braddah Ed!! You neva going guess who stay working Arirang's now!! And you neva going guess wat she stay doing!!!

So of course I had fo go look.

Kden I pau dis conversation too. Bumbai braddah Pete going come tell us guys fo go take um to email once again.

Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  3:14:37 PM  Show Profile
Yep, was Arirang. Az was da time when dey also had space invaders in all da bars. Me an my frien, we useta go KB jus fo play space invaders! Yea ok for oddah stuff too. All nite, cuz no mo computah at home doze days an we waz addicted. An was in college so no mo kala fo do da real kolohe stuff. Wich was a good ting in hindsight.

Edited by - Menpachi Man on 06/01/2008 4:01:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  4:49:58 PM  Show Profile
Only time I ate namako it was pretty slimy- tasty, though! At a stall in Fiji. They are the soft greyish white warty nocturnal sea cucumbers. Beche-de-mer; big bucks in the Chinese market. Me, I grab the lobsters and leave the cucumbers behind when I go out at night.

Used to love to eat the he'e, too, but one time I was about to grab one in a tide pool and it started talking to me. Well, communicating, with flashes of color and gestures, but I could understand it. Haven't been able to eat he'e since.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  4:53:02 PM  Show Profile
Oh and Momi, you're right- it is Cafe 100, not L&L that invented the Loco Moco (name, at least!). Guess I've been away too long...

Chris
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2008 :  5:07:19 PM  Show Profile
Cafe 100 is da home of da loco moco. brah, if you guys like different kine loco mocos, you jus gotta go cafe 100. Potagee sausage, hamburgah, eggs, rice an gravy. ho some ono, but broke da heart no? da mout too, but! Nah, I tink da main ting gotta have is da brown gravy, da rice, an da egg. Da meat can be wateva you like.

Ho, brah, poi an manini palu ... ya I tink dass da bomb ;-P

Fo old rice, da best ting is fo make fry rice! jus trow all da left ovas togeddah wit da rice, shoyu, oyster sauce all inside da wok, den pau! You get some ono grindz eh!

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000