Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Updating the master list of slack key song tabs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  09:49:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
It's time for me to go in and update the "infamous" cpatch list of slack key song tablature and learning resources. Right now I'm aware that it's missing the following:

- Some of Mark Nelson's tab resources
- Mark Nelson's JamPlay.com video lessons
- Keoki Kahumoku's second DVD
- Ozzie's DVD

If you're aware of any other slack key tablature and/or learning resources that are not in the list but publicly available to anyone (Ozzie's tabs, for example, would not count) then please let me know by adding a comment to this thread. Mahalo!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

RobO
Akahai

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  05:57:11 AM  Show Profile
Daniel Ho released a new book of tabs in 2007 - "Slack Key Guitar: The G Kilauea Tuning".

a hui hou... Rob
"Lawe i ka ma'alea a ku'ono'ono"
Translation: Acquire skill and make it deep
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  6:16:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Mahalo Rob.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

vscotth
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  09:59:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit vscotth's Homepage
Craig,
I recently published a manual of slack key tunings for George Kahumoku's workshop in June, and I'd be happy to contribute the chord diagrams in that manual to the site's learning resources. They would be individual pages in pdf format. I have listed the tunings below, and I'm working on a set of additional tunings now.

Taro Patch [D G D G B D]
G Wahine [D G D F# B D]
Open D [D A D F# A D]
Atta’s C [C G E G C E]
Kilauea [D G C G B E]
D Wahine [D A D F# A C#]
C Mauna Loa [C G E G A E]
Dropped C [C G D G B D]
C Wahine [C G D G B E]
F Major [C F C G A F]
F Wahine [C F C G C E]
G Mauna Loa [D G D E G D]
C Old Mauna Loa [C G C G A D]
Gabby’s C Wahine [C G E G B E]
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  10:06:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Thanks Scott...check with Andy (admin) on how he wants to handle that. I can provide space on my server if necessary.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  11:22:45 AM  Show Profile
Daniel Ho's "new" book is essentially a reissue of his first Contemporary Slack Key book. I think there are two songs different -- I'll look tonight (if I can remember).

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  12:53:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Mika ele

Daniel Ho's "new" book is essentially a reissue of his first Contemporary Slack Key book. I think there are two songs different -- I'll look tonight (if I can remember).

I looked at the song list but didn't do a comparison. The problem with Daniel's stuff is that to my ear most of it is more new-age than slack key but I included his last book in the list anyway.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  10:57:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hey Craig -

I thinks you've got all my stuff that's in the books or on the website. www.mark-o.com

Here's a list of what I've done for JamPlay so far. (Not all the lessons are live yet, tho')

The first series has lots of exercises, vamps and double stop examples, plus these songs (all Taropatch)

Salomila EZ version
Salomila w/ double stops
Kiho`alu Slide (a study piece)
Old Style Slack pts 1 & 2 (like Manini, Ozzie's Kani Kiho`alu, etc)
Taropatch Blues pts 1 & 2

The second series has songs in Double Slack & Drop C, plus exercises, chord charts, etc.

Double Slack
Aunty Alice Style
Malasadas
Playful Popoki pts 1 & 2

Drop C
Hi`ilawe
Kowali pts 1 & 2
Molokai Waltz
Sanoe

Hope that helps ya out.

cheers,
Mark
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  11:31:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Thanks Mark.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  12:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
Hi Craig,
Within the next six weeks Slack Key the Hawaiian Way -- a Methodology will be published. Do you want the song content now or later when it is actually available to the public?
PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  1:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hi Peter...if you have it in a form where you can just copy and paste then now would be great, otherwise later is fine. I know you've got a lot going on at the moment. (I'd also be happy to compile the list myself if you want to send me an extra draft copy you may have lying around!)

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 07/08/2008 1:44:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  1:28:31 PM  Show Profile
If they are the same songs, I have a draft copy of all three books and can give you the list for Peter.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  1:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I don't want to put them up too soon...six weeks for the first one is about as far out as I want to go. The whole point of the list is that the material is publicly available (within reason).

Craig
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1018 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  5:33:26 PM  Show Profile
patch,
don't remember if you have the tabs for the Slack track tunes (12 of them). I have them in pdf format and since Don and I owned the copyrights and are not selling anything anymore, I guess I can share them.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  8:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Terry, do you still have my phone number (I can't find yours)? Give me a call or email me.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 07/09/2008 8:03:07 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000