Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Ok, now where to buy?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cw
Aloha

32 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  7:09:29 PM  Show Profile
Any favorites for a selection of new and used ukes, on the West Coast?

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  7:12:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Buffalo Brothers in Carlsbad if you're in Southern California.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  8:09:46 PM  Show Profile
Dusty Strings in Seattle.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  10:23:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Gryphon in Palo Alto, and for used and cheap, Thin Man Music in Alameda.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  10:39:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
in los angeles, you can try mccabe's.

of the three places, buffalo brothers has had a larger stock but gryphon has more variety including at the upper end...

plinkfully,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

cw
Aloha

32 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  12:55:28 PM  Show Profile
Looks like a slight concentration in the Bay area?
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  2:04:38 PM  Show Profile
Margie & Greg always have a nice selection at Shade Tree Instruments in Laguna Niguel (south Orange County).
http://www.shadetreeguitars.com/

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  5:55:24 PM  Show Profile
The West Coast is pretty big...there's dozens, or hundreds of places, which sell essentially the same 3-5 brands of ukuleles. What region do you live in?
Go to Top of Page

cw
Aloha

32 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2003 :  12:27:23 PM  Show Profile
Yep, west coast is a big place.

I'm in Seattle and Dusty Strings is a great place, but was thinking of doing this during a vacation.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2003 :  12:53:38 PM  Show Profile
Uke crawlin' on I-5. There's a song there.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cw
Aloha

32 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2003 :  7:12:00 PM  Show Profile
That would have to be a slow song.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2003 :  9:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Definitely not a polka.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2003 :  03:07:22 AM  Show Profile
Also check out special events such as the Ukulele Festival in Hayward, CA in April. (I think it's April.) There will be people with booths there. Last year I fell in love with several. (Ukuleles, not booths.) There was one really nice cigar box uke. Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2003 :  05:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
I'm in Seattle and Dusty Strings is a great place, but was thinking of doing this during a vacation.
what fun!!

in san luis obisbo you could visit the blue note. it's where i got my martin baritone, and they're the only place you can find RS Saul ukuleles. he's into construction, but is also a luthier. he makes the most beautiful ukuleles, but only sopranos. i played one of his that he made out of california live oak, and it was a dream... the prices are quite high, of course, but if they have any in stock you can pick them up and try them out. (he also gives tours - the folks at the blue note can put you in contact with him).

there's a grungy used guitar store down by the beach in santa barbara that has the most amazing collection of wall hanging ukes that i've ever seen. i don't know if they would sell any of them and i don't know their condition, but some looked good to me. for example, they had some banjo ukes from the 1920s there (i know because a friend of mine inherited the same kind of uke i saw on the wall there). i can't remember the name of the store, but it should be easy to find from a phone book - it's on the beach side of 101 and just south of the main street of santa barbara.

momelani's in oceanside sometimes has interesting ukuleles, incuding some made by a local luthier. the owner, dave, is an uke fan and could probably point you to some interesting instruments. (there's a fellow named cliff who i've met there and at the shade tree whose son makes amazing guitars and ukes).

i once found some inexpensive vintage kamakas in a guitar store in the gold country.

i think that you could have one wonderful time stopping at music stores in medium sized cities and towns trolling for ukuleles.

i think that *I* could have one wonderful time, too.

what the heck am i doing sitting around?

aloha,
keith

PS - okay, right this instant i'm in arctic norway at the university of tromso, which is not ground zero of any ukulele uprisings. but, last night i borrowed a nylon takamine at my hotel and spent an hour playing some slack key while watching it snow... the hotel staff were quite nice about it and want to hear more. the islands seem awfully far away right now.

Keith
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000