Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Singers Saving Grace
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  08:22:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I was introduced to this stuff by Gary Medeiros, our TP.net bruddah (Falsetto 2002) in Seattle. It's an herbal throat spray that really works to strip your vocal chords of mucous and relieve overworked vocal chords. It tastes nasty, like the extract of ditch weeds, but can work wonders for a falsetto singer who needs to get his vocal chords ready to sing.

I went and ordered two bottles at more than $24 total, but found that the stuff I got didn't work like the bottle I borrowed from Gary. I figured out that I had ordered the non-alcohol variety and I wasn't getting the same results. I am contemplating putting some alcohol into the bottles I got to simulate the alcohol type. Maybe straight alcohol will be as effective! Any one else have experience with this or similar sprays?

Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 08/20/2008 08:23:58 AM

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  08:58:20 AM  Show Profile
Alcohol always makes my singing sound better, but it's expensive to get a whole audience drunk!
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  10:23:29 AM  Show Profile
Paul is such a wise guy. A re: using straight, alcohol, don't do we. We love you and want to keep you around for a while. The reason I am saying this is that you would probably use isopropyl which is not to be taken internally. If you want to try alcohol, simply find a vodka you like, or even maybe 151 rum. Plenty alcohol in those. My theory on why the alcohol version works best for you is that it dries things out. If you get mucous-y ick, then, it would tend to dry out some of the secretions. As well, it evaporates quickly and thus has a great cooling effect. That is why rubbing alcohol is effective for sore muscles, or why it feels cold when they swab you before you get a shot. Other than that, I can think of no other therapeutic benefit to alcohol as an ingredient.

However, I would think more soothing to the throat would be a simple thing like a lollipop or a peppermint or some other type of hard candy to suck on.

Your vocal chords are pretty much the top part of your respiratory system, and anything you spray in your mouth or back of the throat would not make it into your larynx otherwise you'd drown in your own saliva.

Propbably the best thing to use would be one of those facial steamer things that women use or a cool mist vaporizer; or simply a steamy bathroom from showering.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  1:53:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Here's a cheaper, albeit sorta painful*, way to do the same thing:

mix aprox 1 tsp of cayenne (not chili powder-- and sure as hell not habenero powder) in a tall glass of cool water. Drink it down quickly-- DO NOT SIP! Big gulps.

I learned this trick many years ago from Byron Bowers. It works better than anything else I have tried to clear the grunge you get in your throat from a mild cold, smog (vog) and too much beer before singing.

In a pinch at a bar gig, I have been known to pour about a teaspoon or two of tabasco sauce into a shot of cheap bourbon--- does the same thing, and it is sure to get you looked at funny by the bar flies.

I am serious, by the way. It works.

*It's only painful if you sip... so just chug it. I won't vouch for the next morning, however.

Edited by - Mark on 08/20/2008 1:55:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  4:47:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
woof! is a evening of clear vocal chords worth the flaming wazzles the next morning?

still, it's a good thing to know....

aloha,
keith

Edited by - marzullo on 08/20/2008 4:48:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Falsetto2002
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  6:18:15 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Jessee,

No straight alcohol. Maybe some Jack Daniels...lol. Yeah I found the natural stuff no get kick like the one with the alki...lol

quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

I was introduced to this stuff by Gary Medeiros, our TP.net bruddah (Falsetto 2002) in Seattle. It's an herbal throat spray that really works to strip your vocal chords of mucous and relieve overworked vocal chords. It tastes nasty, like the extract of ditch weeds, but can work wonders for a falsetto singer who needs to get his vocal chords ready to sing.

I went and ordered two bottles at more than $24 total, but found that the stuff I got didn't work like the bottle I borrowed from Gary. I figured out that I had ordered the non-alcohol variety and I wasn't getting the same results. I am contemplating putting some alcohol into the bottles I got to simulate the alcohol type. Maybe straight alcohol will be as effective! Any one else have experience with this or similar sprays?

Jesse Tinsley

Leo Ki'eki'e
Kalei
Go to Top of Page

Falsetto2002
Akahai

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  6:31:53 PM  Show Profile
daz hot kin stuff. But I love Tobasco. Nevah tried dat. Going use em da next time. But I usually get da airport size Takillya (tequila)...lol. Gargle with it and then swallow. Cleans out the galla galla. Den I sing with nahenahe leo ki'eki'e.

Also, if your throat too scratchy, I also get Slipery Elm Lozenges I buy at Whole Foods here in Bellevue. But any herbal store should have them (Supper Suppliment, Earth da kin in Honolulu, etc).

quote:
Originally posted by Mark

Here's a cheaper, albeit sorta painful*, way to do the same thing:

mix aprox 1 tsp of cayenne (not chili powder-- and sure as hell not habenero powder) in a tall glass of cool water. Drink it down quickly-- DO NOT SIP! Big gulps.

I learned this trick many years ago from Byron Bowers. It works better than anything else I have tried to clear the grunge you get in your throat from a mild cold, smog (vog) and too much beer before singing.

In a pinch at a bar gig, I have been known to pour about a teaspoon or two of tabasco sauce into a shot of cheap bourbon--- does the same thing, and it is sure to get you looked at funny by the bar flies.

I am serious, by the way. It works.

*It's only painful if you sip... so just chug it. I won't vouch for the next morning, however.

Leo Ki'eki'e
Kalei
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  6:45:05 PM  Show Profile
For frequet cases of "post nasal drip" (no, retro, that is not a breakfast cereal) and sore throat, I use 3-5 drops of Tabasco in a small galss of water, mix it well and drink it down like Mark does his cheap bourbon with his hot sauce. It does indeed clear out the gala-galas and imparts a euphoric glow to the throat area.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  11:08:14 AM  Show Profile
My problem is not so much galagala but dry throat. The humudity up hea is lacking. Not like Hawaiʻi. I tried Garyʻs stuff but the alcohol made my throat more dry. Slippery elm does not seem to work for me either. I donʻt drink so any stuff lidat I don know.
I went join one gym and guess what, full body steam room was one good discovery. Good fo da throat and good fo da ʻili come soft like one babyʻs yu no wat. I put cayenne and tabasco in my sai min all I get is one runny nose. I just no can handle da ea up hea. So I let Gary sing and if I hum um he can fake afew bars.

I still waiting fo Kory to sing.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 08/25/2008 11:10:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  11:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

My problem is not so much galagala but dry throat. The humudity up hea is lacking.

Bet you never expected anyone living up near rainy Seattle to say THAT. But he's right.
quote:

He sings the instrumentals alla time, just gotta listen different.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  9:17:08 PM  Show Profile
E Jesse use da kine everclear. Thas like moonshine baby!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  01:21:58 AM  Show Profile
Az why I said use the steamy thing that women use for a facial. Cheaper & easier than going to a steam room. Or can boil pot of water and when pau boil then put towel over your head and breath the steam, lidat when bad cold, put vapo rub in da water, fix you right up. Nothing better for congestion. Well, except if it is heart trouble, then it don't do diddly. Maybe a saline nose spray could help the throat, as well. Or peepo from India sometimes use some funny little kine teapot looking thing for put saline water in their nose for keep clean and no congestion. Best thing for get no icky, don't live Cleveland in winter time, or in spring time. Az y called da Cleveland Crud. Or autumn, too, cept very beautiful trees change color, da nani.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  1:20:00 PM  Show Profile
I always prefer to go with Dr. Budweiser's magic throat medicine myself :)
Aloha
Allen
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  04:43:53 AM  Show Profile
I learned that singers in other genres swear by eating half an apple before auditions and stuff. Also, they say alcohol is not good, as it dehydrates the delicate tissues (not that that has ever stopped me). But several bites of an apple do help, in my opinion.
On page 215 in "Power Performance for Singing" by Shirlee Emmons and Alma Thomas, there is an explanation for why apples work.

Link

Click on Preview this Book, and enter "apple" in the Search In This Book field. Then select pg 215 from the results.
aloha,
Sarah

Edited by - Sarah on 08/28/2008 04:44:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  8:35:02 PM  Show Profile
Da steam room last mo long. Can stay 20 min half hour and spray eucalyptus oil in da ea and the full body treatment man is so good. Plus you get to work out before and I already lose 25 pounds and counting.

Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  03:07:37 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:
Originally posted by noeau

My problem is not so much galagala but dry throat. The humudity up hea is lacking.

Bet you never expected anyone living up near rainy Seattle to say THAT. But he's right.
quote:

He sings the instrumentals alla time, just gotta listen different.

Interesting factoid: The Puget Sound area is partly in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains. We get 28-30 in. of rain per year (typically, in winter, light rain for a couple of days, then partly cloudy for a day or two), while Bellingham to the north and Olympia to the South get 40 in., and up against the Cascades (Fall City, Duvall, Carnation, etc.) get almost 50 in. On the west side of the Olympics, the Hoh rain forest gets over 100 in.! So Noeau is right - it IS dryer out on Banbridge where he lives than in Honolulu.

keaka
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000