Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Is Uncle Moe in this video???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  12:21:26 PM  Show Profile
Here is another old TV show video I came upon by chance. It is a Cincinnati guy's talk show which went on the road to Hawai`i in the late 70's. At about 2:30, he introduces a band called (in his Kentucky/Cincinnati way of speaking), Anuinui or else Anuenue. I know he says anui, but maybe the group was called Anuenue. Anyhow, when he hear the nano second that you can hear the music, it sure sounds like both Iz and Uncle Moe. Ahdunno. Can anyone expert watch and listen and see if you can figure out who it is. Then later on, there is a lady singer Nina, I think he called her. But they cut that music out and jump to her yodeling for a nanosecond, and then she teaches him & Phil Donohue to hula to Hukilau.

Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UkZQUybNgQ

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  1:29:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage
Hi Wanda,
Anuenue was Moe's group, he formed it after he left the Sons of Hawaii. On the far left is Paul Martinez with the six string uke, Moe is second from the left, third from the left is Mike Ka`a`awa on 12 string, Imaikalani Young is on bass. Karen Keawehawaii is the vocalist. This program must be about thirty years old.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  2:13:54 PM  Show Profile
From that little snippet, you could hear beautiful harmonies. I was thinking maybe it was some very young incarnation of those famous guys from Makaha. Peter, thank you very much. I feel pretty good that I was pretty sure about it being Moe's beautiful voice. Mike Ka`awa has been iin the business a lot longer than I ever would have suspected then.

This is like discovering treasures to me, since I never grew up with any of this stuff. I think it is absolutely remarkable that we can watch film of every day shows or hear TV ads and such, things that one takes for granted every day, but it really is a cool way to preserve a glimpse of everyday life.

Once again, thank you very much, Peter. Where's the old videos of you?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

808robertr
Akahai

72 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  4:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit 808robertr's Homepage
Yes, that is Anuenue. I used to catch them at the old Territorial Tavern. Those harmonies were probably arranged by Imaikalani; who IMHO is the best 4 part harmony arranger here in Hawaii. He has an uncanny ability of making "so-so" groups sound like they've been singing 4 part harmony forever.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000