Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Ipu Report
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  02:54:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
If you remember I asked for help in the spring on how to grow IPU well thanks to all the excellent advise I now have a Garden FULL of BEAUTIFUL IPU. And all awaiting the Frost so that we can begin the job of Harvesting and then hanging them up in our barn attic for the winter to dry and cure. I even found out that there is going to be a Hawaiian Gourd Society Meeting in January while I am on the Big Island so I am planning to attend and Learn !
I thank You and I think my husband thanks you. (he is still not sure WHAT we are doing with ALL of these Gourds? ( Has anyone ever eatten the small green ones I found a recipe but have not tried it yet)

The Keiki

My pride and Joy!

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy

Edited by - NANI on 09/02/2008 02:56:06 AM

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  04:01:57 AM  Show Profile
Looking good, Nancy. I don't think they would be so good to eat. You can make nice bird houses out of them or bird feeders. Paul is making a banjo out of one.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  2:53:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Pomaika'i! I have an ipu heke that I use for showing some basic hula stuff to 'ohana and friends sometimes. I'll probably play it and chant at the same time once I get some chanting experience. I can't do the i'i for the life of me right now!

E Nani, let me know if you get questions and I may be able to help you.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2008 :  5:56:54 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Nani! I saw this technique at the Olaa Sugar Plantation manager's house, which is currently a bed-n-breakfast run by the English family.....kamaaina family with ties to shipman.

As the ipu grows it gets bigger and heavier. So...support them by 'wrapping' them in a fishnet like bag, e.g. fishnet stocking. and tie the bundle onto the trestle so that the gourd does not grow out of shape. Also, eases the load on the vine when the vine gets LOADED with these heavy gourds.

In other words, experiment with shaping, sunning, and load bearing.
Herb
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  08:58:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
WOW wish your post had been a few days ago and I wore a lot more fish net stockings. :-)
What fun we had getting ready for the tropical storm here. Wefinally tied each Ipu to the trellis and then wrapped the whole thing in a fish net. The ones on the ground we pull together as much as possible then put a casting net over them and put tent stakes in the edges to hold it down. But we survived the storm in fact it sort of fizzled out and then went west of us. But at least I am ready for the next one. Now to stock up on thoses fish net stockings.

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  8:32:52 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Nani,

Looks like you had some great success!

If you plan on making some of those cute bird houses, remember to poke holes in the bottom for drainage, and several around the top for ventilation. Also make sure you hang the birdhouses in the shade, it gets pretty hot in those little ovens... And refrain from putting little those cute stick perches under the front door opening, the resident birds don't need them but they provide a place for predators such as Jays to perch while they stick their heads in and eat the little birds.

I had hoped to grow gourds as well, and George Kahumoku told me what and where to plant them on my property. But California has had another drought year, and I just can't spare the water for more plants. Do they require a lot?

Julie
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  07:25:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Since I planted mine in the middle of my vegtable garden and then trellesed them I am not sure about the amount of water they needed I just water them when the rest of the garden gets watered.
Here on the East Coast we have Purple Martins that love the Bolle Gourds as houses and we hang them in groups right out in the sun about 15 feet up in the air it is amazing to see them fly inand land in one. But I am still unsure as to what I will do with mine. I found a web site that gives directions for decorating and carving them so ?

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  07:34:52 AM  Show Profile
You did right by the fishnet. At least you have the idea. The gourds are susceptible to "insect bites". These 'scars of distinction' are cool but should you desire super smooth surfaces, experiment with a variety of 'bags', e.g. brown grocery bag, blue opaque polypro bag, muslin, etc. For example, the "blue" is used by banana farmers in Panaewa Hawaii Home lands to wrap the young bunches to ward off the insects AND to expedite (on the vine) ripeness; apples in Washington are ‘wrapped’ on the tree; pears in Japan are also wrapped. Whereas the bananas are "sealed in", the gourds need to breathe. So, experiment with bag-length BUT leave the bag bottom open (so the fruit or gourd can breath and ripen). As for watering, "google" for that info.

In our Kona lot we let them grow wild on the lava...purely organic... but that's how we did it bout 50 years ago.

Herb

Edited by - Baritone on 09/10/2008 07:36:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  10:30:15 AM  Show Profile
In my experience, anything such as gourds, cucumbers,, squash, pumpkins, melons, all need plenty water, but at the same time need to be up off the wet ground. Additionally, they need consistent amounts of moisture. If you are going to water them, water them consistently, same amounts of water, or for same amount of time each time you water. If you have it, drip irrigation or a soaker hose is the best to keep water from evaporating and getting wasted and forutting the water where it is needed instead of on the leaves and fruit. Additionally, they do a bit better in slightly acidic soil (hence the lava that Herb is talking about), so put your coffee grounds and orange peels out there for them. The coffee grounds also keep the slugs off of them because the coffee grounds are too rough for the slimy buggahs. (And, no, I do not think they are landlocked opihi, Nancy.)

Did you ever sprinkle salt on a slug?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Hula Rider
Lokahi

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  9:25:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hula Rider's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by NANI

If you remember I asked for help in the spring on how to grow IPU well thanks to all the excellent advise I now have a Garden FULL of BEAUTIFUL IPU. And all awaiting the Frost so that we can begin the job of Harvesting and then hanging them up in our barn attic for the winter to dry and cure. I even found out that there is going to be a Hawaiian Gourd Society Meeting in January while I am on the Big Island so I am planning to attend and Learn !
I thank You and I think my husband thanks you. (he is still not sure WHAT we are doing with ALL of these Gourds? ( Has anyone ever eatten the small green ones I found a recipe but have not tried it yet)

Aloha! Glad you are enjoying your ipu cultivation.

You may find some ideas for uses here: http://www.kaahelehawaii.com/pages/culture_ipu.htm

In my experience, the ipu which are good for hula, containers, etc are too bitter to eat. I know there are other varieties which are ono. Probably you could get seeds from an Asian seed supplier.

Malama pono,
Leilehua
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000