Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 I need e-mail help
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  06:40:47 AM  Show Profile
I cannot write to any of my smart computer friends, because somehow my e-mail is screwed up after the power outage here in Cleveland. Now when I try to send an e-mail message, they all stay hung up in the out box. I have been receiving messages just fine, but cannot send. I use Microsoft Outlook. I can delete them out of the out box to get rid of them, but I cannot figure how to make them get sent. This has only happened since I turned the computer on today. Paul shut the power to the computer off before the big power outage happened.

I don't know what da heck. Can anyone help me?

Mahalo.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  06:57:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Try calling your internet service provider. You are probably using their SMTP server to send email. They should be able to help troubleshoot.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Daryl
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  2:18:34 PM  Show Profile
Wanda,
In Outlook - Go to Tools -'E-mail Accounts...'
Then click 'Next’
Then click the 'Change...' button
Under the Server Information area it should say something similar to mine
'Incoming mail server (POP3): incoming.yahoo.verizon.net’
‘Outgoing mail server (SMTP): outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net’

You can check the settings by clicking on the ‘Test Account Settings…’ button.
Hope this helps.
Daryl
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  10:22:58 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Daryl How are you ? I hope well. Give our aloha to SueLou!! Yeah, I finally got it fixed. I did what you said. Turns out the problem was with the cable connection somehow because of the storm. It did something goofy to the cable modem and set it on standby, so we could not even get an internet connection, either. Some kind of gremlin thing. I got that all sorted out with the cable company and plus I also used "system restore" and now everything is back working the way it should. Thanks to Andy & Daryl for your advice.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  11:15:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

Turns out the problem was with the cable connection somehow because of the storm. It did something goofy to the cable modem and set it on standby, so we could not even get an internet connection, either.
I wondered if that would be part of the problem, as power outages sometimes cause us to have to reset our cable-modem as well. But I didn't respond with that suggestion, as I figured you had internet service back ... since you were posting here! I wouldn't have been any help with the "restore" part.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  12:00:47 PM  Show Profile
Gregg - even when we had the internet part working, the e-mail was not working, and then shortly thereafter, we had nothing. I figured maybe the cable place was having trouble from the power outage (our daughter has not worked all this week so far -- the day care she manages still has no power). But now I know to watch the cable modem and if no lights are on, then unplug the modem from the power strip, plug it back in and observe what lights come on. If none of the top 4 lights are on steadily, call the cable company. If the bottom standy light is on or blinking and everything else is out, shut the computer down; unplug the modem, plug it it, then push the standby button to turn it off standby or whatever the heck mode it is in, then all the lights should come back on. What magic that does, ahdunno, but it worked. If no lights come on, then there is a problem with the innards of the modem. They said (actually a recorded mechanical help desk i-bot) that many times a power outage requires a modem reset, just as Gregg said.

I use to think with electrical gadgets, if it doesn't work, smack it. We used to do that to our TV befo time and it always worked. Or the washer or whatevah. Also works for keiki who don't do their chores.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

kamalani764
Aloha

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2008 :  11:27:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit kamalani764's Homepage  Send kamalani764 an AOL message  Click to see kamalani764's MSN Messenger address
wow that's interesting, I wonder if the same thing that happened with your modem can happen to wireless rouders. our roder wouldn't come on but our modem did so we ended up just buying a ndw one. I wonder if that was completely unessesary. I better not tell my mom that, she'd be mad we spent sixty bucks for nada. oh well. and what's this system restore thing?

Kamalani
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2008 :  11:10:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Wanda,

I just sent you an e-mail a few minutes ago just to make sure that a reply would get sent to me without any pilikia. Check it out and I'll let you know if anything comes through.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000