Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 ukulele radio hour!!!!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2003 :  12:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
well, i just got a call from the station manager of a well-listened to college radio station WNTI-FM out of Hackettstow NJ. ralph, the station manager, is a big uke music fan. he has asked me to create a 1 hour once a month ukulele music show. eventually, it will go to a once a week, if the audience response is there.

the show will be focused exclusively on the music (not my political opinions). it will be pre-recorded, as he plans to use it as filler in the wee hours of the morning on some overnights, too.

the show will be streamed on the internet at the same time (sunday evenings) it's aired on the station. i'm also working on figuring out how to archive it on the net.

i have a medium size collection of uke cds, and would welcome suggestions or cds. email me first, please. ukejackson1 @ yahoo.com

if you know indie uke artists or labels, please let them know. the station has a strong signal and is heard at night from northeast pennsylvania to the edge of new york city.
i'll announce the exact time when it's on the sched.

Uke Jackson, from farmers markets to festival mainstages, from crossroads cafes to cosmopolitan cabarets

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2003 :  4:25:53 PM  Show Profile
This brings up something I've been wondering: usually when I hear ukulele being played, it's either going to be Hawaiian music, or older standards. Any recommendations on other bands out there using uke, that're worth listening to?

My only example is The Magnetic Fields, which frequently have an uke, alongside other instruments. It's fun stuff, makes me think more bands should be using it. For the radio show, you might consider their "The Luckiest Guy on the Lower East Side."
Go to Top of Page

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2003 :  8:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
hey slacker, if you're not familiar with shorty long -- get their new cd American Novelty. "the flaming ukulele in the sky" from that disc is going to be the show's theme song. their web page is www.shortylong.com i haven't laughed at music so hard in years.

today i came across a new to me group "hulabilly" at www.hulabilly.com

google "penguin cafe orchestra" and see if they have some sound clips. superb.

and last but not least, be sure you give www.riotukes.org a click

Uke Jackson, from farmers markets to festival mainstages, from crossroads cafes to cosmopolitan cabarets
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2003 :  10:57:18 PM  Show Profile
UJ, oaklandslacker, too,

I forgot Carmaig DeForest. NOT funny novelty tunes. His "Coldwater Park" gives me icy chills. I just have MP3's of his stuff. Now I'm trying to figure out where I found them. When I do, I want to try UJ's links.

Hah! Found! http://carmaig.com/music.html

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 03/30/2003 11:19:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2003 :  08:45:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
good one, pauline. i forgot about carmaig, since i heard he went all guitar.

Go to Top of Page

Pulelehua
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  10:54:14 AM  Show Profile
Ukejackson and oaklandslacker,

Check out George Harrison's CD, BRAINWASHED, released last fall. The best cut featuring him playing 'ukulele is "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea." Others are: "Rocking Chair in Hawaii," "Vatican Blues" and "Pisces Fish."

Pulelehua
Go to Top of Page

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2003 :  2:58:49 PM  Show Profile
Pulehua: Nifty, I'll have to give it a listen. I heard with the Beatles Anthology on DVD, there's extra material, including George and Paul (with Ringo) jamming through a bunch of their old songs and 50's standards on uke.

A kind of cool (kind of silly) uke group I ran across a ways back is Petty Booka at http://www.sister.co.jp/pettybooka/e-pb.html . Whatever else can be said, http://www.sister.co.jp/pettybooka/mp3/pb_rainkilikilihune.mp3 is probably the most upbeat version of Rain Kilikilihune you'll ever hear...plus they're releasing a single with Konishiki soon.

Worth mentioning (there's no ukuleles though) that Konishiki released a gangsta rap type album, it's silly but not as bad as might be expected, at times. The best song title is "Sumo Gangsta."
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2003 :  12:17:46 AM  Show Profile
Petty Booka, I'm a fan of at least their MP3's, I had to miss their appearance in Seattle, darn! One reviewer on another board said "adorable" wasn't even in his vocabulary, but Petty Booka were adorable. Thanks for news of a new tune.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

ukejackson
Akahai

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  12:51:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit ukejackson's Homepage
pauline, that was me with the "adorable" comment.

Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  3:47:04 PM  Show Profile
It was a good turn of phrase; sorry I didn't give you credit UJ.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000