Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 New Slack Key Category for 2009 Nā Hōkū Awards
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  09:11:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
From the HARA newsletter:

quote:
NEW SLACK KEY CATEGORY FOR 2009 NĀ HŌKŪ HANOHANO AWARDS

The Board of Governors voted earlier this year to establish an award for Best Slack Key Album of the year at the 2009 Nā Hōkū Hanohano Awards. After much discussion, research and discussion with prominent performers, the board voted to adopt the following criteria for the award:

Instrumental slack key guitar and vocals accompanied by slack key guitar are both eligible. Release can be 100% vocal with slack key accompaniment, 100% instrumental or any combination of the two, provided that:
  • 75% of instrumental tracks and instrumental accompaniment to vocals must be in a slack key tuning and played in a slack key style.
  • 75% of vocal tracks must be in Hawaiian language.
  • The selection committee will be provided with a list containing some of the more significant elements of the slack key guitar style and may consult with acknowledged practitioners as well to determine the
    appropriateness of entries into this category.

Andy

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  09:24:11 AM  Show Profile
Watch for other changes (improvements!) coming from HARA, impacting the criteria for eligibility for next year's Na Hoku Hanohano Awards.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  09:50:02 AM  Show Profile
...for example, clarification of entry criteria (from the HARA newsletter) for:

Group of the Year
Best performance by a duo or group of newly recorded material
containing vocals. Groups which credit a single, featured vocalist (i.e., "John Almeida & His Hawaiians" or "Genoa Keawe and Her
Hula Maids") may be entered in this category. However, once entered in this category they may not be entered in the "Male Vocalist of the Year" or "Female Vocalist of the Year" categories at a later date while using the same group name. Duos must be entered in this category, regardless of the vocal or instrumental contribution of the named members.

Male Vocalist of the Year
Best performance by a male artist of newly recorded material containing vocals. Groups which credit a single, featured male vocalist (see examples provided in the "Group of the Year" category) may be entered in this category. However, once entered in this
category they may not be entered in the "Group of the Year" category at a later date while using the same group name. Duos may not be entered in this category, regardless of the vocal or instrumental contribution of the named members.

Female Vocalist of the Year
Best performance by a female artist of newly recorded material containing vocals. Groups which credit a single, featured female vocalist (see examples provided in the "Group of the Year" category) may be entered in this category. However, once entered in this
category they may not be entered in the "Group of the Year" category at a later date while using the same group name. Duos may not be entered in this category, regardless of the vocal or instrumental contribution of the named members.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  10:09:08 AM  Show Profile
It is very interesting to see the expansion of the award as well as more specific criteria to ensure no manipulation of the categories. These definitive criteria ensure that the awards will have definite weight. They will not be "fluff" awards and will have solid impact on the Hawaiian music community. Thanks for letting us know, Auntie Maria.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  11:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

It is very interesting to see the expansion of the award as well as more specific criteria to ensure no manipulation of the categories. These definitive criteria ensure that the awards will have definite weight. They will not be "fluff" awards and will have solid impact on the Hawaiian music community. Thanks for letting us know, Auntie Maria.

I agree with you, Wanda.

On sort of the same topic, and as I may have said before but I'm not sure, I used to not be happy with the fact that ki ho'alu albums are the only ones that have won Grammies to date, but now I feel that any exposure to Hawaiian music that people have here on the mainland is wonderful.

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Pali
Akahai

64 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  01:34:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pali's Homepage
Aloha All,

Yes, long time coming-but the Ki Ho`alu category is finally a category of its own... and as slack key fan, musician, and board member of the HARA, I'm glad this was finally created. :)
Go to Top of Page

Bruddah Cy
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2008 :  11:28:31 PM  Show Profile
Finally ki ho`alu can be recognized like other styles as blues,rock, and so on. I hope that HARA can recognize the ones that had a beeeeeg part in inspiring others to continue ki ho`alu tradition such as: Gabby "Pop's" Pahinui and others. I know I am truly grateful for all their contribution and inspiration. MAHALO
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000