Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 $1,000 to HI from West Coast???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  05:46:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I'm trying to plan a trip to HI (my first since 1976, believe it or not) over Christmas break but airfare is around $1,000 roundtrip from San Diego and L.A.. Is this just because of the time of year or is it a sign of the times?

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  06:07:07 AM  Show Profile
Craig - I think it is probably a combination of both causes. I was looking for airfare to O`ahu for our next trip, which we will schedule for August 2009. Usually booking that far ahead of time gives better bargains; however, it is $1200 approx. for round trip from Cleveland. Last time it was about $800 (in May). Yikes. I may have to start putting more change in the change jar for our next sojourn.

I am going to investigate how much from Las Vegas to Hawai`i, because I have heard that can find great bargains because kama`aina like go Las Vegas. I am going to try to figure out if it would be more cost effecive to fly from Cleveland to Las Vegas, stay overnight and then fly Las Vegas to HNL. I shall advise the results of my research.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  06:58:58 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cpatch

I'm trying to plan a trip to HI (my first since 1976, believe it or not) over Christmas break but airfare is around $1,000 roundtrip from San Diego and L.A.. Is this just because of the time of year or is it a sign of the times?

Tumbs & me got tickets for our January trip (Seattle to Honolulu) for around &800 each on Alaska. Northwest was cheaper ($750) but I need the miles on Alaska. Two years ago it was around $600.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  07:06:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
If you use a credit card (*and* pay it off in full every month), we've found that the HawaiianAir Visa (through Bank of America here on the mainland; they have an additional credit card bank in Hawaii, too) is a good way to "afford" the travel to Hawaii. Yep, they only fly from limited cities in the west, but you can get to those gateway cities on other airlines and then use your earned HawaiianAir "miles" to do the mainland/Hawaii trips and inter-island travel.

We use our HA card for all our business purchases and easily acquire enough miles for two to four round-trip tickets a year. I wish we had enough *time* to use all miles, but, thankfully, unlike other airline reward cards, the HA miles don't "expire" as long as there's activity on the credit card. The miles/dollar exchange is pretty reasonable, the miles can be "transferred" to other card holders and, we're going to be paying for that stuff anyway, so writing the credit card check at the end of the month always feels a bit less painful knowing that it's covering some fun times in Hawaii in the future.

The key, though, is paying the card off in full every month. I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending this if someone weren't going to pay off the balance every time--especially with the unknowns in today's economy.

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000