Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Recording Announcements & Reviews
 Hawaiian Slack Key Kings: Master Series Vol II
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  04:43:14 AM  Show Profile
The mele man recently visited us and brought a few more additions to our ever growing stash of precious Hawaiian music. One of the treats he brought was Milton Lau's second compilation of Hawaiian Slack Key Kings. This second volume includes Bobby Moderow, our TP brother, Donald Kaulia, Kawika Kahiapo, LT Smooth, Dwight Kanae, Led Kaapana, Kevin & Ikaika Brown, Keale, Stephen Inglis, Kamuela Kimokeo, Florent Atem, Paul Togioka, Pali Kaaihue, Nathan Aweau, Makana and Milton Lau, himself. The music, as you would expect is wonderful. There is such a variety of top notch music, and this recording goes a long way in showcasing the talents of such a wide variety of musicians. When Don Kaulia plays Kaneohe, oh, I can just see Momi listening to it with a bit of mist in her eyes. Moe's Lullaby by Kawika Kahiapo is so sweet and beautiful. And a treat for me was listening to LT Smooth. First of all, I have no idea who is LT Smooth, but I can tell you, can play some very nice music! The name scared me into thinking there would be hip-hop or rap or Jawaiian, but it was as good slack key as you could ever want. If I had to pick a favorite from this album, I think I would have to pick Kevin & Ikaika Brown's Vaqueros Lullaby. What a great sounding piece of music, and you can feel the strength and aloha in the music. And when you hear Kamuela Kimokeo (yes, part of that famous and talented `ohana) as well as our TP friend Pali Kaaihue, you know the young guys are going to preserve the treasure of kiho`alu.

All that being said, now, I wish to comment on the liner notes written by Milton Lau. They are terrible. There are so many grammatical mistakes that they make the whole project look unprofessional. When he speaks of being involved in previous projects which were nominated for Grammies, it sounds more self-serving, than anything. It seems to me that if he wishes for an additional Grammy nomination, he would make sure it looks like a professional recording project and have someone proofread and critique his liner notes prior to publishing them. Additionally, I do not know why he speaks in the liner notes that Vol. II "again reflects the diversity of styles in the slack key genre from very tradition sounds of Ledward Kaapana, Uncle Bobby Moderow, the late Raymond Kane, and the Reverend Dennis Kamakahi..." There is nothing on the recording having to do with either Uncle Raymond Kane or Dennis Kamakahi -- none of their playing or any music written by them. I do not understand why he would use their names on these liner notes.

Bottom line: Great music presented by a wide variety of talented musicians. Buy it for the music, not the liner notes.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 10/06/2008 04:46:06 AM

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  08:32:25 AM  Show Profile
I second these comments!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Pali
Akahai

64 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  01:23:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Pali's Homepage
True. That's an uphill battle :)

I was happy to be a part of the project (and Supey Aloha is dedicated to my 2.5 year old dog that passed). He was a cool, totally cute and psycho little guy.

I would've added graphics, song notes-info, why each of us pick/wrote the songs we did etc. I'd love to help out with the design/booklet stuff next time.
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2008 :  06:45:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
Good comments.
I just got the CD last week and I agree.
Even Wayne Harada of Honolulu Advertiser and the Star Bullentin guy made comments of lack of artist info, etc.
The music and artists is excellent; the package, well?
Aloha, Don Kaulia

PS, Good job Pali!

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000