Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Richmond (Va.) Folk Festival
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Campbell
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2008 :  08:09:43 AM  Show Profile
Virginians got a good taste of Hawaiian Slack Key guitar music last weekend, when Ledward Ka’apana graced the stage of the Richmond Folk Festival in Richmond, Virginia. Led was accompanied by Mike Ka’awa, and they brought the house down on all four of their sets, including one with five other guitarists.

As usual, Led had the crowd eating out of his hands with his brilliant playing, singing, and humor.
The stage for the final set was very close to the railroad tracks, and, almost on cue, a train passed by while they were playing. Led, in his inimitable style, figured out a way to make some train sounds to accompany the passing train, and the crowd loved it.

I attended all four sets, and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of all of them. When he sings ‘I Kona’, it always brings tears to my eyes, because this song, sung by Led, is to me the epitome of Hawaii and Hawaiian music.

I had the chance to speak with Led after the final set, and he said that he planned to return next year to this festival. If he does, and I have no reason to believe that he won’t, we are going to try to squeeze in a concert for him here in Williamsburg. Whenever someone of this caliber takes the time and effort to travel this far in order to spread the gospel of slack key, I think that we all owe it to ourselves, to each other, and to the genre to do everything we possibly can to make it a resounding success. So, let’s plan to have a Taropatch.net gathering next year about this time here in Virginia.

The first photo shows Led and Mike onstage, with the train passing behind them. The other photo is of Led and me, with Mike packing up in the rear. I told him that I would send the photo to Taropatch.net, so he is sending us all a familiar greeting with his right hand. What a nice guy he is.

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  08:28:26 AM  Show Profile
Keep us posted on the plans for next year. We haven't been to Williamsburg for about 3 years, it may be time to go back.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2008 :  1:02:58 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rendesvous1840

Keep us posted on the plans for next year. We haven't been to Williamsburg for about 3 years, it may be time to go back.
Paul

Me, too! I have a daughter in Newport News.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Bill Campbell
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  12:05:57 PM  Show Profile
To Paul and Jack:

I will be sure to keep everyone posted on this. Led said that he would be here for the 2009 Richmond Folk Festival, so as soon as the Richmond people can get their schedule in order, we can work around a concert here in Williamsburg. It would be fun to have lots of Taropatch.net people in the area for that weekend. Lots of good things could take place, in addition to Led's concert.

Jack, does your daughter play music? Guitar? Slack Key? I get together with a friend in Newport News every Tuesday, and we play for several hours. If she is a musician, maybe she would like to join us now and then.

By the way, I made a lot of money myself working for Boeing, in Wichita. I was in charge of Systems Engineering on the Air Force One Replacement Program back in 1985.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  12:10:51 PM  Show Profile
I thought Air Force One was E-Systems.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Bill Campbell
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  1:44:35 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

I thought Air Force One was E-Systems.

The two 747-200B aircraft that presently serve as the Air Force One aircraft were built, as are all 747s, at the Boeing wide-body plant in Everett, Washington. The green airplane, as the basic hulls are called, was flown to Wichita, Ks., home of Boeing Military Aircraft Corp. (BMAC) where the plane was 'stuffed', as they say.

The electronics equipment was installed at E-Systems, Greenville, Tx. Surely you didn't think that E-Systems built 747s, did you?

It isn't really appropriate for this thread, but since this project was, and still is, dear to my heart, I would be happy to discuss it at great length, but we should do it via personal emails. bill @ billcampbell.us is a good start.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000