Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 My Most Recent Favorite Hawaiian Song
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  03:38:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha kakou!

I just thought I would tell you that my most recent favorite mele in 'olelo Hawai'i is "Nani Wale Na Pua." (No, not "Na Pua Lei 'Ilima," a different one.) I have it on the Makaha Sons of Ni'ihau's "Puana Hou Me Ke Aloha." I love it because I love how they recognize all the lei and all the famous mountains from each of the four most popular Hawaiian islands: Hawai'i, Maui, O'ahu, and Kaua'i. I can't find the lyrics on huapala, otherwise I would post them here. But if you listen to the song, it's nani wale! No pun intended! lol

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe

kuulei88
Akahai

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  07:46:41 AM  Show Profile
Hi Alika,
Youʻll be happy to know that there are at least 40 more songs like this, that list an island, its flower and its mountain in a verse. Charles E. Kingʻs "Na Lei o Hawaiʻi" (aka "Song of the Islands") is one of the earlier of what I call "island/flower" songs, and is one of the few to include Lanaʻi and Niʻihau along with the larger islands. Other songs are "Na Moku ʻEha" (and similar lyrics are sung to at least two different tunes I can think of right now), and also "He manaʻo koʻu ia ʻoe." These songs were very popular in May Day pageants in the 1920s through the 1960s. They made great finale numbers: every verse would have a hula dancer dressed in a satin holoku of the islandʻs color. Then in the haʻina verse, all the hula dancers dance together in a fabulous rainbow of colors and flowers. Nani wale no hoʻi!!!

amy k
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  5:31:07 PM  Show Profile
Don't forget "Hanohano Hawaii", aka "Sweet Lei Lehua". There's also an old song about girls on each island. I herad Jeff Au Hoy sing it a couple of years ago and forgot to ask him the title so I could look it up.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2009 :  7:41:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by slipry1

There's also an old song about girls on each island.
You aren't thinking of "Wai O Ke Ani Ani," by any chance? Next time I see you, I'll sing it.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  01:36:34 AM  Show Profile
Lei Ohu.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2009 :  07:01:34 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:

You aren't thinking of "Wai O Ke Ani Ani," by any chance? Next time I see you, I'll sing it.

It's a hapa haole song. "I have a **** girl in *****" names diffrent races of wahines, where they live and what kind of leis they wear (correct flower for each island).

keaka
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  01:34:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Retro

quote:

It's a hapa haole song. "I have a **** girl in *****" names diffrent races of wahines, where they live and what kind of leis they wear (correct flower for each island).

The song is called "Lei Hula" (often subtitled "I Went To Hilo") and was a favorite of Linda Dela Cruz and the Halekulani Girls. (The kolohe Sybil Andrews sang lead.)

I went to Hilo
To see the volcano
There I met a Chinese boy
He presented me with lei lehua

I went to Maui
To see Haleakalâ
There I met a Portuguese (Pukikî) boy
He presented me with lokelani

I went to O`ahu
To see Halekûlani hotel
There I met a haole boy
He presented me with lei `ilima

I went to Kaua`i
To see Wai`ale`ale
There I met a Filipino boy
He presented me with mokihana

Ha`ina `ia mai
Ana ka puana
But when I met the Hawaiian boy
He presented me with lei aloha

Except that Jeff sings it from the gentleman's perspective and has made up several more verses about different women of different ethnicities from different islands/districts who bear far more creative gifts than leis.

I will post a recording of the Linda Dela Cruz original and Jeff Au Hoy's variation (with his permission) when I return from my road trip next week.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2009 :  01:37:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage
quote:

Don't forget "Hanohano Hawaii", aka "Sweet Lei Lehua".
Let's add "Ka Wehi O Na Mokupuni," "Ka Lei E," and "Hawai`i No E Ka `Oi."

Keep these songs in your repertoire. It is impossible to forget the lyrics.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2009 :  3:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
Mahalo to all of you for the song comments. I'm familiar with almost all of them.

Bill! It's so nice to see you back on here! I missed you sooooooooooooo much!

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000