Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Total Lunar Eclipse Tonight! May 15, 2003
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  2:02:49 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Taropatch.net Ohana!
Be sure to glimpse the night sky TONIGHT, May 15th
because WOW there's gonna be a Total Lunar Eclipse!
Check out the details at space.com:
http://www.space.com/spacewatch/lunar_eclipse_030515.html
The Eclipse starts at 6:00pm Pacific Time (9pmET) & reaches
Totality at 9:15pm PT! Should be quite a show! Does anyone
else out there like to play Slack Key to the moon?

Edited by - Stacey on 05/15/2003 3:05:34 PM

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  3:40:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Stacey,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely try checking it out tonight.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  3:41:53 PM  Show Profile
Stacey sez:
quote:
Does anyone
else out there like to play Slack Key to the moon?

Yes, I do, but it sound strangely like hoooowllling...

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  4:49:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Note to West Coasters...the moon doesn't rise until 7:34 p.m. (where it will be in ESE part of the sky, at least for Southern Californians).

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 05/15/2003 4:50:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  4:50:20 PM  Show Profile
Dusty sez
quote:
Yes, I do, but it sound strangely like hoooowllling...

Aloha Dusty!
Would that be Ki hoooowl'alu?

Edited by - Stacey on 05/15/2003 5:13:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  5:09:24 PM  Show Profile
Aloha!
Mahalo for adding that moonrise info, Craig! In Northern California the moon rises at 8:03pm tonight. The Eclipsing Moon will look GIGANTIC to the West Coast since it will be low in the ESE Horizon.
This will be the first Eclipse my children, ages 9 & 7, have ever seen! When I was their age there was a Total Solar Eclipse during a school day. We all made little viewing sheilds out of construction paper so we could watch the Eclipse without hurting our eyes. Neato Mosquito!
Sorry so off topic today ~ I did practice for an hour this morning.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  5:27:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Stacey. Craig too. Now if the clouds will just break up a little, we might see something in the Great Northwet.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  6:27:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
there must be a "kamahina hula" out there you can play to the moon... "puamana" has a nice line it it about the moon.

it's looking good and clear down here in southern california - thank you for the reminder, stacey!

aloha,

Keith
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  12:07:53 AM  Show Profile
Aloha

I am unfortunately clouded out right now here in Indiana, but I did get to see most of the penumbral eclipse. I have been stargazing for over 30 years, and this has been one of the darkest and most well defined lunar eclipses that I have seen - very nice!

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  12:27:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Unfortunately totally overcast over here. There's a noreaster coming through tomorrow bringing lots of rain.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  01:29:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Crystal clear here, as Keith pointed out, and absolutely stunning!

I don't know about hulas to play to the moon, but Cyril's Po Mahina (Night Moon) would be the perfect slack key piece!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 05/16/2003 01:33:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  01:36:10 AM  Show Profile
Well, it was perfectly clear and the eclipse was magnificent!

quote:
Aloha Dusty!
Would that be Ki hoooowl'alu?

Yep

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  01:52:53 AM  Show Profile
Aloha!
The Lunar Eclipse was so Beautiful! It's completely clear and 60*F tonight in Sunnyvale, CA. At dusk my husband Andy, my children & dog and I walked over to a very nearby Cornfield so we could get an unobstructed view. The nightfall and moonrise were both at 9:00pm and the moon rose Totally Eclipsed. You could barely see a hazy orange sliver of the moon. The kids were truly awestruck! We had to be getting back because it's a school night. When we got home the moon was a bright sliver and you could clearly see the underbelly of the moon in a crimson orange hue. My kids went to bed and my husband started up a game of online chess, so I took my guitar out in the backyard and played some slack key and watched the umber shadow drift across the moon. Gorgeous!

Edited by - Stacey on 05/16/2003 01:55:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  6:37:03 PM  Show Profile
Stacey,

So glad you were able to get a good view. I got nuthin'
I live in some very tall redwoods, that oh so nicely blocked the SE and southern skylines. It was friggin crystal clear out too.
On a positive note, I was able to catch a glimpse of the Evil Raccoon from Hell, who has taken to knocking over my Weber grill every night, in the act red pawed ! Like I left those steaks on the grill all night for you, right ! Anyway, I had been blaming the neighbors Labrador, who it turns out was quite innocent of the grill bashing. She is however guilty as hell of stealing my cycling shoes from the deck and carrying 'em off and dropping them in different places.
Oh, and there was a guitar just inside my house, thereby tying in this thread with TaroPatch and making it appropriate for the forum.

/s/Kommander Wilfred G Hubbell-Piffle, Ace Astronomer and Dr. of Animal Husbandry

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  7:30:17 PM  Show Profile
Piffle signed
quote:
Kommander Wilfred G Hubbell-Piffle, Ace Astronomer and Dr. of Animal Husbandry

Aloha Cmdr Piffle! Don't forget "Professional Raconteur"

Glad you caught yer coon in action, but if yer livin' in da Redwoods, you be on their turf. No wonder they're checkin'you out. I got ridda my coons by annoying dem wit plates of peanut butter mixed with HOT salsa left where they used ta get goodies. No Joke.
Man, we waaay off topic today. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

Pulelehua
Akahai

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2003 :  4:47:38 PM  Show Profile
Yes - Po Mahina would have been the perfect piece, I am still working on it. I arrived back through SFO from lovely downtown Pittsburgh at 8:30 or so, past the peak but got a long view ridin'South on 101 towards home.

...See ya tomorrow - A hui hou...

NOTE TO ADMIN- This thing keeps thinking I am Pulelehua (but I'm NOT!). We happen to use the same computer for email! This is the problem with those STEENKIN COOKIES!! We don't want no Steenkin Cookies. I cannot delete this and post my own message - HELP!!

...Lawrence

Pulelehua

Edited by - Pulelehua on 05/17/2003 4:52:50 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000