Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 ukelele novice
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

john leaf
Aloha

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  2:28:05 PM  Show Profile
hi folks, I am a new convert to the ukelele, and just blown away with how much fun it is! I have been playing guitar [acoustic, strat, gibson lap steel] for 30 odd years, but the uke has got me hooked.
I have persuaded two of my colleagues to buy ukes and we are all set!

any tips advice etc. gratefully received

Johnny GOLD Leaf

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  09:55:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Welcome John,

First post from the UK, I think. What style of music are you trying to get out of your `ukulele?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

john leaf
Aloha

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  3:13:51 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

Welcome John,

First post from the UK, I think. What style of music are you trying to get out of your `ukulele?

Hi Andy, thanks for your reply. At the moment I am having a go at anything, but am very interested in learning some traditional stuff. I have read some messages from others that include a lot of advice, so I'll search, and give it a go!!
Go to Top of Page

CipherMeister
Aloha

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2003 :  3:24:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit CipherMeister's Homepage
> blown away with how much fun it is!

I'll second that John. I got a new uke a few weeks ago and can't remember ever having so much fun with an instrument. I start grinning like a fool every time I play it, it just cracks me up, it's so cute, sweet, and fun -- my little bundle of joy! It's nearly as irresistable as a puppy ;')

Roger

http://www.TheCipher.com
"Blumberg's Music Theory Cipher
for Guitar and other Stringed Instruments"
[Free online tutorials for Guitar, Bass,
Mandolin, Banjo, Ukulele, and more]
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2003 :  03:06:17 AM  Show Profile
Hi John, HAH! another person hooked on uke! They are an awful lot of fun, and so easy to play. It serves really well as a rythm instrument and accompaniment to singing. I started playing the uke after taking hula lessons for a year, and realizing that I knew most of these Hawaiian songs from listening to them over the years.

When I attended the first Keola Beamer workshop in Hawai'i, I think I knew all of five chords. But was brazen enough to try to serenade Keola's mother, Auntie Nona. In front of Keola and his wife! But noone laughed at me and I was emboldened... Then I've taken every lesson and every workshop that has come my way. And play every chance I get. Now I'm playing on stage and at kanikapilas (jam sessions) But then I'm not shy anymore, and my suggestion to you is just to barge ahead. Yippeyiyooo, Julie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000