Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Boink! Twang! Patw-uuuung!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  6:42:32 PM  Show Profile
I've been using Martin Acoustic SP's for some time. Although I'm generally happy with them, I find that they break an awful lot while tuning up and down. And these are fairly new, less than a couple weeks old sets.

I still use the lights (.12) which is a relic from my "I have to bend the daylights out of this note" heavy metal days. Is all this breaking strings a function of the thin string, or brand, or just not stretching them enough when I first put them on? I get more breaks when I'm tuning down the high E string to a D, not tuning up. Occassionally I'll lose a B string when they get a little older and more fragile.

Do those coated one's help? I actually like the squeaking of the strings, and would rather not change unless they are less breakable. What kind of strings have y'all found that are a little stronger and not prone to snapping? I remember the first guitar I learned on had a rusty set on that were like 10 years old and didn't break, although they did carve my fingers up pretty good LOL!

Thanks!
- Greg

When you get a moment, could you do me a favor and explain to me what I was just talking about?

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  7:46:07 PM  Show Profile
I use Elixir Nanoweb coated strings (lights and mediums) and I've never broken one; but I also play in either Taro Patch or standard tuning and I change them regularly. I like them a lot. Their a little pricey, but if you like them you can buy in bulkand get a deal.
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  8:49:50 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Terry. I use Elixr Nanowebs light and custom light (11-52), on all my acoustics 'cept the National Resophonic.
Only had one string break, a G, go figure. Oh, I mean the 3rd string, just realised you Taropatchers are gonna be confused as to which G.
What I love best about them is they always feel 'dry' and fresh when you pick up the guitar. Even when getting towards the end, they have the same feel. Unlike uncoated strings which get progressivly dirtier.
As a few people have stated on this site, there is a MAJOR difference between the two Elixir types, Poly and Nano. The coatings are slightly different, but the Nano is considerably thinner and more responsive.
That said, I've had the same set of Poly, (thicker coating) on one of my guitars, and hell, I cannot wear out those strings. They definately last longer than the Nanos.
I too tried the Martin SP and was a bit underwhelmed.

best of luck

Cmdr

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  9:05:05 PM  Show Profile
Cause I always have more to say...

Strings breaking. A couple of thoughts. The culprit is most often one of the 2 attachment points for the strings. The saddle and the nut. As a general rule, if you have plastic either....pay the money or do it yourself, but have them replaced with very inexpensive bone, or at the very least one of the newer composite matrix material ones. Like micarta or Tusq etc.
If you do it yourself, for the nut.... the wound strings should be as a general rule in the slot to half their depth. For unwound, the full depth of the string. Never over cut, making the strings too deep. Make sure the slots are round, not Vee'd. You need a one time expendature for a decent set of nut files. You can get away with only 3. Stew Macs is a great company for them. Make sure there are no sharp edges.

So ends part one :)
Mike

Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2003 :  9:45:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Another thing to look at with strings breaking: if they break at the tuning post, check to see whether there's a too-sharp edge on the feedthrough hole.

Haven't tried Martin strings for a while, but I was also underwhelmed with them. Prefer either GHS or D'Addario, though I've also had good luck with the original Elixirs. They all wear very well on my guitars. You might consider bumping up a gauge--my rule of thumb (or finger, I suppose) is that if I'm tuning down a step, I can go up one gauge and not notice. I often mix and match my sets and put mediums on both Es and the A--it also keeps the bass strings from going flabby when they get slacked down three or more steps.
Go to Top of Page

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  04:50:54 AM  Show Profile
I use the Martin SPs and think they sound much better than the competition - although different guitars like different strings.

I tune and re-tune plenty, and I've never had a problem with strings breaking.
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  5:54:34 PM  Show Profile
Since we're discussing coated strings again, has anyone had any experience with the D'Addario EXPs? How do they compare to the Elixirs? I've always used D'Addarios on my Strat and wondered if their coated strings were any good for acoustic playing?
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2003 :  6:23:51 PM  Show Profile
Hey Terry,

Tried those too. In my opinion, and I need to add, that prior to Elixirs....D'Addario was what I always used (normal strings), the new ones are the worst of the lot. They tried to use way too thin of a coating, causing them to a: sound a bit dull, (as in any coated string), and b: not have enough of a coating to gain the benefits. They certainly feel almost like normal strings, and went dead after a few days.
I'm hearing about Black Diamond, the original steel string manufacturer having a fairly decent coated string. Havn't tried em yet though.

Work continues to suck 'cause I'm there now
My laptop continues to mock me 'cause it's evil
Ke'e Beach is so where I need to be right now.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2003 :  10:41:04 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Ke'e Beach is so where I need to be right now.

Would Puna do?

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2003 :  10:58:58 AM  Show Profile
Dusty...

Checking my appointment book....uh, uh, wait.....
......checking..........

Yep! Puna would be just peachy!
Thanks for the pix. Just needed to have things put in perspective.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2003 :  10:37:09 AM  Show Profile
cmdr,

Eat your heart out. Headed for Ke'e on Thursday. Thanks for the info on EXPs. Saved me $$.

A hui hou
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2003 :  11:47:08 AM  Show Profile
Dusty, thanks for the new desktop wallpaper!

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2003 :  12:07:56 PM  Show Profile
You're welcome, Pauline. I took the picture early one morning last August just outside the gate (and across the street) from Kalani Honua (Aloha Camp). Enjoy!

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2003 :  5:12:31 PM  Show Profile
Dusty,

Stunning!

Thanks for posting such a gorgeous shot.

-Sarah
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2003 :  02:09:03 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Dusty:

Aahhhhhhhhhhhh. Needed to be there - I can smell the ocean and hear the rattle of the palm leaves and the boom of the surf, and even bettah, the anuenue. Mahalo.

cathe
Go to Top of Page

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  12:32:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi Greg,

I just found this forum today. I use John Pearse uncoated phosphor bronze strings and have never had one break, though I play in a few slack key tunings and standard as well. They actually make a set called "Hawaiian Slack Key" that have light gauge 3rd & 4th strings and heavier gauge 1st, 2nd, 5th & 6th strings that I like a lot. For me it seems to result in a more balanced volume across the various strings. I came across them when I lived in Hawaii but haven't been able to find them yet here in Washington. They also seem to last longer here than they did in Hawaii. Maybe it's the lower humidity. I haven't ever tried coated strings but maybe I will after reading some of the posts.

Aloha,

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000