Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 It's all in the mind
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  2:25:34 PM  Show Profile
I want to share an experience I had recently --
Couple of weeks ago I was asked by SF South Bay Guitar Society to do a workshop on Slack Key. Ain't gonna pass that up! I did it in 3 parts -- an intro to slack key using segments of tapes and CD's, a 30 minutes "recital" and a hands on workshop.
- Previous to this time, when I played in front of people other than a small circle of friends, I would get so nervous my hands would shake. (Also wish I had purchased shares in Kleenex Cottonele.) This time something different happened -- the way the Guitar Society approached me and spoke with me, they treated me as if I were actually knowledgable and as if I were a competant player (both of which I sometimes am.) They got me a radio interview before the workshop, for which I was nervous but it went well. Also, setting the evening up with a "lecture" before I played got me relaxed and "in the groove." - (I am well trained and experienced in public speaking.) For a while I thought it might be dumb to play after people heard Gabby, Sonny, Auntie Alice, Keola, Ozzie and Steve Sano, at least recorded. But I started to play without shakes, and played probably the best I've ever played. The hands on session aftewards was fun and very gratifying to see a bunch of people, granted most were much more experienced guitar players than me, anyway - by the end of the evening this bunch of people understood the taro patch fretboard and were able to play a couple of decent slack key songs. I've played in public three times since then and - no shakey hands, no need for Cottonele. Excitment, yes, but no freaking out.
So - 2 things from that experience -- 1) It was like my taking orals from my degrees - not that I learned so much preparing for the exams, but going through the whole experience dramatically changed my awareness of myself. Just like I got to feel that I really knew something about my degree subjects by handling a panel of oral examiners and holding my own - here I stood in front of people who were good guitar players and some non-players who knew a good amount about slack key -- and held my own. Changes the self-image. (2) Being perceived and treated as competant by people you respect "forces" you to believe you are competant yourself.
In sum, once you do your homework technique wise and interpretation wise, you still got to deal with that last step - self image - and that probably takes a combination of inside and affirmation from outside.
Raymond Stovich
San Jose
(PS brag brag - I guess I did ok 'cause out of that evening came an invite to perform on the acoustic stage at one of our major arts/music festivals later this year, as well as an invite to play an ongoing evening at a local restaurant brag brag)

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  2:38:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Congratulations Raymond...it sounds like a huge leap forward for you both in terms of both exposure and (more importantly) self-confidence!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 05/21/2003 2:38:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  2:40:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Way to go Raymond. And a very nice message to anyone playing in front of others.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  2:46:25 PM  Show Profile
Back pats and congrats to you Raymond. And thanks for some insights.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  4:27:27 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Raymond!!! I'm so happy for you!!! All your hard work is paying off!
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  5:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Way to go! You can now leave the temple, grasshopper.
Go to Top of Page

Kahalenahele
Lokahi

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  6:57:32 PM  Show Profile
Raymond, congratulations! Which restaurant? Which festival?
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  7:08:59 PM  Show Profile
Will post it in events section when I actually sign on the dotted line.
R
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  7:21:40 PM  Show Profile
Very interesting, Raymond. It seems that people often live up to the best of others' expectations - and you obviously did. But, it also seems as if the fairly complex run-up to the actual performance, first doing something associated that you were comfortable with, and then working up to the part that you were formerly nervous about, was a confidence building experience. Maybe someone who is unused to performing should never just walk on-stage and dive in. Maybe a little talk story first (am I learning something from George? :-) Anyway, a real lesson in psychology and a win for a good guy.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  8:17:38 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Talk about playing "in the groove". Remember the feeling; meditate on it and recall it each time you play.

Congrats, Raymond.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  8:43:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message
Great Job Raymond!!! Wish I could have made it!!

aloha

Patrick
www.patricklandeza.com

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com
www.landezapresents.com
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  10:10:26 PM  Show Profile
Reid,
I tried that talk story stuff before, It just made me more nervous. However, I know other people for whom it works - so if it works for you, great.
I think what happened is more that the SBGS folks treated me like an "expert" - and in that first part I really did have some good things to say about slack key and the different styles of the different artists -- somehow I "slid" into a different consciousness. Last three times after that I didn't need the elaborate process to "find that space." It's somewhat embarrasing for a Psychologist of almost 30 years experience, with a strong concentration of working with creative artists, to not have a better way of putting it. But it seems to be a somewhat individual & experiential thing.
I just wanted to share that that shift in consciousness/ awareness/ self-image was very significant for me - it got me to a place where just practicing my - - - - off couldn't.
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  11:16:34 PM  Show Profile
Raymond,

It's not that you can do it... you ARE it.

With so much alo'ha.

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2003 :  01:15:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Raymond's it...everyone hide while he counts to 20.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000