Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Buono Serra from Menaggio
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2003 :  11:31:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Lynn thoughtfully chose a quiet location for our winding down days. We're spending our last three nights in Menaggio, directly across Lake Como from Belaggio. It is a magical place, and our room has a balcony looking out across the lake where we watch the strollers, the boats, and the sea planes.

We've just come from a stop in Santa Margherita, near Portofino, where we strolled the sleepy streets (either it's very off season or they're having a bad year with lots of American cancellations) and ate amazing sea food and pasta, along with one of the best soups I've ever tasted. We also trained down to the Cinque Terre, an Italian National Park protecting five tiny towns built just above the sea and connected by a spectacularly beautiful hiking trail. We traversed part of the area by boat had our breath taken.

We'll be home in a few days, but if things go as promised I'll have just enough down time to learn one new tune to keep as my personal souvenir of this amazing adventure.

Aloha,
Francesco

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2003 :  12:40:16 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Fran!
I just wanted to say Mahalo for sharing stories about your trip to Italy. I have tremendously enjoyed reading them!!!
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2003 :  3:47:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Mahalo from me also. I've actually been tracking your travels on my "wall" world map and I have added Italy to "the places I have to visit in my lifetime" list.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2003 :  4:28:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
caro francesco,

it sounds like you should be back by now. sigh. what a great trip...

ben tornato,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2003 :  7:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
It's been fun sharing the feel of Italy with you, thanks for all the kind words. We arrived home yesterday about 6 PM US West Coast time, and are still shaking off the jet lag. It's great to be back home, to sleep in our own bed, to roll on the floor with our puppy, and play the good guitars, but ... man, the cars are SOOOO big! And they go so SLOW! And they only use the lanes that are marked on the pavement - how unimaginative.

Turns out I never did get around to learning a new song. There were boat rides up and down the lake, and driving to another amazing restaurant (ravioli stuffed with ricotta and truffles, sauced with an amazing pomodoro based concoction, along with a big platter of local vegetable treats). Then strolling the promenade for one last gelato at the piazza, and lots of packing.

It was really great to be able to hook up with the taropatch gang at every stop, and equally sweet to have the little guitar along. I've done my small part to spread the slack key magic and it seemed almost as sweet in the land of gnocchi and Vespas as it does in the islands.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2003 :  8:14:15 PM  Show Profile
Ahh.
Thanks, Fran, for sharing. Will you be posting pictures soon? Hint?

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2003 :  11:59:01 PM  Show Profile
Francesco,

Buenos Noches mi amigo.

Spanish not quite Italian, but what the hell.

That 'song' will come to you in your own quiet time. As you wind down from your adventure, sum experiences will collide into thought. Thought will coalesce into feeling. That feeling will spill from your mind, down to your fingers.

Those together will be that song. Play it you will.

Welcome home

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000