Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 A Les Paul guitar...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2003 :  02:16:42 AM  Show Profile
So my only son casually mentioned that he would love to have a "Les Paul". OK, I know who Les Paul was (and Mary Ford) Tells you how old I am! But when I checked on eBay, I found several brand names connected to the Les Paul name. Does that mean that different guitar makers each have a "Les Paul" version? Help me out here, all you guitar experts. How do I find a good, playable, long-lasting, piece-of-my-heart instrument for the love of my life? You know, the kind that you never let go of, because your Mama bought it for you? Thanks, Julie

oaklandslacker
Aloha

China
47 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2003 :  05:54:45 AM  Show Profile
There are dozens (hundreds?) of variations - but they're all more-or-less the same thing, just of different quality. They're made by Gibson, they're also sold under Gibson's cheaper branding, Epiphone. http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Gibson/ has some reviews, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ is an online catalog - but any guitar store will have them.

Epiphones will cost maybe $300-$800, Gibsons are $1200-$3000?

Edited by - oaklandslacker on 05/31/2003 05:59:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

jcfergus
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  4:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Click to see jcfergus's MSN Messenger address

Epiphones are well made instruments. So good, it makes one wonder why anyone pays the extra couple of thousand dollars to get the Gibson name.

An aquaintance recently purchased a Les Paul copy labeled as Jay Turser. It was very inexpensive, about $160. These are readily available on ebay, new, but they are also commonly available in local music stores. It is surprisingly well-made, setup properly and sounded pretty decent.

Another brand of inexpensive but well made copies is Cort.

Hope this helps.
Jim

Jim Ferguson
Roseville, CA
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  5:34:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Not entirely relevant to this discussion, but does anyone remember what guitar Leonard Kwan played on his early albums? I'm pretty sure it was Gibson of some sort.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 06/03/2003 5:42:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  5:49:23 PM  Show Profile
How old is your son and how much does he play? As you have probably seen there are many versions of a Les Paul. I don't know if Gibson/Epiphone have a copyright on the Les Paul name but it would suprise me if they don't, but generally if you say Les Paul when talking about guitars you think Gibson/Epiphone and a certain body style. It really depends on how much you want to spend. Epiphone has a value pack Les paul with bag, cord, tuner, video and amp for around $250 which is a great deal for a basic set up with the les paul name on it but it of course is your entry entry level unit. From there Epiphone has various models of their Les Pauls for under 1K with different inlays, pickups and finishes at a fraction of their Gibson and for the average player something that they will be proud to play and look at. Gibson has their sub 1K Les Pauls but for the same money you are getting more features with an Epiphone. The "Standard" Les Paul from Gibson can be had around the 2K mark while the "Standard" Epiphone around $500 mark. From there the Gibson will easily go into the thousands with the different "custom" and reissue models. They seem to have the philosophy that if we make it people will buy, and they do.

Like I said before, it really depends on what your son wants and how much you want to spend. Call the guys at www.wildwoodguitars.com who specialize in Gibsons and ask them some questions. They have always been helpful and friendly and can probably point you in a good direction for your needs. If you decide on a model, and if they have it in stock, they usually can send you some great pictures of the actual guitar and they are usually very aggressive in their pricing. I am down the block form them and would be willing to check out their stock and pricing if you want. Most of the online guitar dealers carry the basic production gibsons and epiphones and also discount heavily as well but you don't get to see the actual guitar that you are buying.
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  6:34:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by cpatch

Not entirely relevant to this discussion, but does anyone remember what guitar Leonard Kwan played on his early albums? I'm pretty sure it was Gibson of some sort.

A Gibson L-7 with a DeArmond pickup, a gift from his uncle.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  03:27:22 AM  Show Profile
Just for info, my son is 21. My younger brother who was a phenomenal musicican died suddenly last year, and on the day of the funeral, my son decided he was going to pick up the guitar. And he did, big time! Within weeks he was playing the National Anthem a la Jimmi Hendrix (alas, no relation). It is as if my brother handed him his hands as he left. The boy will be great as well, but at this moment is playing some sort of music I can barely stand! Hopefully he will turn to Hawaiian soon, as that's what he grew up with. I hope to surprise him for his next birthday with a Les Paul. I really appreciate the input.

Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 06/04/2003 03:28:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  11:44:04 AM  Show Profile
When you have a chance take a look at the Epiphone and Gibson websites and take a look at the different levels of LPs. Based on what you have said, the standard is probably the one to look at first. It has the signature on the headstock, block inlay on the neck, binding and nice wood and finish.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2003 :  03:04:02 AM  Show Profile
John! What a generous offer. I am among those people that believe everything has a soul, and a musical instrument that has been loved certainly has a soul of its own. If you would trust me to take care of your instrument, I would be honored to accept it from you, providing of course that I compensate you for the packing and shipping and whatever else. My son's birthday is in November, and that gives me a little time to work things out, we have some wonderful luthiers in this area. My son is slight of build with slender fingers and your guitar may be just right for him.

I am humbled by your generosity. (As I was that night in Seattle when you gave me one of those beautiful leis during Keola's gig at Border's. I never forget a kindness...) Thank you so much for your offer. I am thrilled. Aloha nui, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2003 :  02:15:18 AM  Show Profile
John, I just don't know what to say. I came home tonight from a particularly nasty Board meeting, where one member of the public actually flipped off a Board member, and was so disgusted with some human beings in particular, that I could have strangled that man. Then I read your message and I'm overwhelmed with the goodness of other people, people I am proud to know and would much rather associate than those nasty people I saw tonight.

I was moved to tears. I had to go out on the back deck and talk to the stars for a while.

I was also reminded that there is an organization in Santa Cruz named "Guitars for Kids". Apparently they take old guitars and refurbish them to give to kids who are needy and could use a helping hand. Wouldn't it be grand if we as TaroPatchers could put together a program where we surrender our old buddies to give to kids who would give them another lap around the track! Andy! What can we do? Let's say I have a used ukulele that is just sitting around in a dark case in the garage. Could we start a clearing house for these kinds of sweet oldies? Who knows organizations that could help us to accomplish this?

Oh, sorry, John, I was swept up in the moment....

My email address is JHendriks @ aol.com. I will contact you for details. My heartfelt thanks, and yes, you have my promise that I will take good care of your old friend. I think my son will love it, and maybe someday he will play it for you at Aloha Music Camp or wherever we may meet up again...
Aloha nui loa, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2003 :  09:36:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Wouldn't it be grand if we as TaroPatchers could put together a program where we surrender our old buddies to give to kids who would give them another lap around the track! Andy! What can we do?
The aloha here is great! And your idea would be grand. Let's talk about it in Maui.

Do other TaroPatchers have instruments to donate?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Ipu
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2003 :  8:48:37 PM  Show Profile
I have a 70's Les Paul Deluxe. I would never part with it. It is an old warhorse with belt buckle scratches on the back and only one of the original pick ups. The other pick up is an old Kramer double coil which is great for the more distorted tones. The neck is very playable. The local music store told me they would give me about $400. They would then clean it up and sell it for about $700 There is a vast difference between each individual guitar. I played a friend's then back to mine.I was amazed at the difference. There are several models. Age matters. Don't buy anything by Gibson that was made in the late 80's and 90's. They were not as good. Look for an older one that isn't mint condition. You should be able to get it for around $500- $600 depending on where you go.
If you want your son to cherish it forever, don't buy a copy. They are made with cheaper wood and are just not da kine. He will become dis-satisfied eventually. Look for an old player's instrument that isn't in perfect shpe cosmetically for a good price. If price is no object get a new one. Gibson has really cleaned up there act in the last two years. You will pay about $1500.
Find a copy of Vintage Guitar magazine. That has lists and lists of possibilities.

Buddy Dubay
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000