Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Stand up...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  3:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
I was jamming with a friend of mine the other day and he busted out a guitar stand/holder. It is one of those stand-like contraptions that holds your guitar in front of you while playing standing up. I found the stand to be quite interesting as I fastened and adjusted my guitar in place and started playing. I really liked it. I came to the conclusion that, I play my best music (technically) when my guitar is personally perfectly positioned (huh?) and this device helped do just that. The holder also helped with the fatigue factor you encounter when playing for long periods of time standing. Does anyone use this type of guitar stand/holder for performance or practice? Any opinions please?

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  7:03:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
I tend to play either standing with a strap, well, actually wandering around the room with a strap, or reclining with my feet up. I've noticed a definite difference in my playing between the two. When standing I seem to have a better intuitive feel for my left-hand position, but it seems to negatively impact my finger picking, especially my chimes. And vice-versa.

Maybe I should somehow combine the two. Stand with my feet propped up or li'dat. ;-)

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

There's no regrets; only good times.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  11:29:36 PM  Show Profile
I tried the stand - I found it uncomfortable, but maybe that would resolve if I used it for more than about 40 minutes. I play sitting and use one of those slanted half-moon type cushions to position the guitar. This set up keeps the guitar positioned, feet flat, spine mostly straight, but still allows for more subtle shifting around. Using the stand, I kept feeling like the guitar was cast in stone and I had to keep forcing my body to adapt to the guitar placement. Then again I like making love to a woman who can move around a little bit as opposed to staying perfectly still.
Raymond Stovich
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  11:50:10 PM  Show Profile
Mainkaukau,

You must understand that Johns idea of playing guitar is lounged on a wicker chair, on a colonade deck, about say....darkish at night...cool drink close by, comfortably reclining, looking at the beautiful Hawaii stars, playing his Guitar.

After much intense study, I am in total agreement with John.

What's a strap? Does it hold your drink in place or what? :)

(Andy, John, notice continuing lack of emoticon usage here)

I so have nothing constructive to add.....except..

!

I have put on CD your Hanalei Mosquito. That friggin cracks me up! Nasty little buggah.

That song reminds me about what is so right with music. FUN.

Can I send you a royalty check?, I would.

Remember, wicker chairs man, the future is in WICKER CHAIRS...oh, and a nice deck or patio or lanai....and the smell of plumeria wafting....

All better now,

His Holiness,
The Piffle

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  01:39:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I play lying down on the couch. It's like standing only a lot more relaxing. (And you don't need a stand to hold your guitar in place.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  10:28:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by jwn

Standing? Who does dat?

Ya know, thinking about it... I don't think I've ever seen a slacker play standing up. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a finger-picker play standing up.
The 2 times I saw Owana Salazar perform, she was standing. Does Barry Flanagan count? I've seen him perform standing and sitting (not at the same time).

I've only seen the standing stands on TV used by multi-instrumentalists so the player can start playing guitar, mid-song, with near zero transition time.

RJS - LOL, but waaay too much info, brah! (Sorry to the commander for the emo).

Andy
Go to Top of Page

edkalama
Akahai

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  3:31:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit edkalama's Homepage
I have yet to see Classical guitar players play standing up but here at the Maui Slack Key Festival, I thought most of the performers were standing up.

I will confirm this again next week.

In my experience, I found stand-up playing an excellent way to improve your guitar skills because no can see the frets, jus prez, right Slack Key Bill?

ed

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  4:56:27 PM  Show Profile
"Ai!!!! Daz true "Bruddah" Ed! Az one real challenge! I had 1st hand experience at the "Blue Marlin Restaurant and Grill" lastweek Friday with "Bruddah" Don, and Pani dem too!"

Aloha and Good Maui Morning to you all TaroPatch Ohana! Wouldn't it be great if we could all drive from Hawaii to the Mainland? Would be a very long drive....but wonderful at the same time! Main thing along the journey get Snack Stops and Restaurants with ono-kine grinds.

Picture us taking that long drive here to there or there to here!.......hohum...to be able to travel without flying for a change....not having to wait in long lines to have our things and ourselves get inspected. Or better yet that "Star Trek Theory of Time Travel"....."BEAM ME UP ANDY!" Az beddah yet! Punch one key on our PCs and SHAZZAM! We're there!.

I know...I know..."dream-on slackkey Bill"! Ha! ha! ha! Today in all of Hawaii, is a "Hawaiian Holiday" for us all......This day in time, we Celebtrate "King Kamehameha Day". While on my way to a body and fender shop, I witnessed a March of Native Hawaiians dressed in the Royal Hawaiian Colors of our Beloved Late Great King.

So! All you 'kanaks there in TaroPatch and the different States, take the day-off to celebrate this Hawaiian Holiday. Go to the beach! Sit around a fireplace.....'troh some pupu's on a hibachi, ice-down some beers! If it's warm where some of you are, build a campfire, 'bus-out the guitars and Kanikajammapila!

Yikes! Talk about getting off-track! I was here to talk about playing standing-up but got carried-away with the Time and Drive Travel from Hawaii to the Mainland, or from the Mainland to Hawaii! (left signal!)
Okay.....as Ed had previosly mentioned, to play standing up can be tricky, er...little difficult due to not being able to see where ones pressing on the fret-board. But at the same time comfortable...very comfortable!

All you need is a good padded guitar strap, adjust it to the height where you feel comfortable holding the guitar and playing at the same time. It's not as hard on the back as one would feel-it when playing sitting down for long periods of time. In fact, it's a great way to strech-out when need be. My personal experince with it is all good....I found I could go on for 3 to 4 hours at a time!

So...if you are one to play kiho'alu sitting down......now try it standing-up! The only difficulty is as Ed mentioned, no can see where you're pressing! Here's a good tip!....Actually I remember hearing Ledward Kaapana sying it. When he was learning how to play slack key, his Dad would place him in a room with the lights-out so that it's dark....Then he was told to practice playing while in total darkness....It's a real 3-dementional feeling when doing it. I do it alot. or jus close my eyes! Same effect....

The moral of the tip is: practice to be better, do it in total darkness and develope that extra-sensery perception of being good at it. Then when you begin to play standing-up! You'll automatically know where to JUS'PRESS....Take care all! A Hui Hou!

slackkey Bill
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  6:18:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, although I almost forgot what the topic was after Raymond's final comment, quote: "Then again I like making love to a woman who can move around a little bit as opposed to staying perfectly still". Whew, and I agree...Mahalos Piffle for the compliments. No need to send royalties, my reward is that you enjoy the song, thanks again. When I perform professionally, I do perform standing with mixed results. I consider the "mixed results" the beauty and the beast of a "live" performance. The slippery guitar, the broken string, the broken strap, forgetting lyrics, forgetting chords, sweating, saliva going down the air pipe(choke choke), kukui-nut lei or buttons scratching the back of your expensive guitar, playing to a non-caring audience, etc, etc...
I just love it! Keep pressing an pulling everyone. Happy Kamehameha Day!

PS: Good advice Slackkey Bill. I do practice somewhat like a Shoalin priest. Standing, sitting, lying down, walking around, in the sun, in the dark, early morning, late at night, plugged in, unplugged, sick or well. Alohas!
Go to Top of Page

Stacey
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  11:12:22 PM  Show Profile
Aloha and Happy Happy Kamehameha Day!

Well, as usual, I got a good chuckle out of reading all your posts. I may not always reply, but you can bet I'm reading!

I've never seen that standing guitar device, but it sounds like it would take some gettin' used to ~ I'm a wiggler. Ants in my pants...

Raymond's comment kinda goes with what he said once before about a conductor advising his orchestra to play each note as if they're making love to it ~ and their performance ended up being phenomenal!

I recently saw Ozzie & Ledward ~ WOW! What a great show!!! Ledward played standing ~ and so did his sister when she joined him onstage. Ozzie played seated on a stool and had this neato knee-rest device that connected to his guitar and elevated it to a comfortable playing level. Anyone know what that thing is?
I've never found a knee-rest thing in any music store, so I like to use a strap. I mostly sit when I practice, but I try it standing up & walking around too, to challenge myself. I also close my eyes and try to play and then my kids ask me, "Mommy, are you playing in your sleep?" I gotta try that playing in the dark too. Thanks for the tip, Slackkey Bill!

There's no point to all this blabber, hee hee! I'm just stuck in Dallas, Oregon right now visiting my Mom and Step-Dad and it is nice to see them, but this town is da pits! Thank goodness my step-Dad has a guitar that I can play! I been passin' da time jus' pressin' on the wicker furniture on the porch, dreamin' of all you lucky dawgs heading to Napili Bay...
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  01:00:15 AM  Show Profile
There are two types of devices like the one Ozzie uses. - Ozzie uses a plastic one that attaches to the guitar with a suction cup and forms a kind of "wedge" to hold the guitar at the right angle. I think I paid 15 or 20 bucks for mine. It works ok, but I prefer the cushion - just a bit more comfortable. The other device is made from leather, same kind of idea but the guitar rests on it not attaches to it. I think I saw it at 40 or 50 bucks. I saw both advertised at Acustic Guitar Mag. Solo Guitar in SF has them in stock (where I bought mine) I think that exoensive place in Palo Alto has them two, blanking on the name. The cushions are also at Fine Fretted on Bascom in San Jose. If you want to try the thing Ozzie uses and/or the cushion, let me know,
Raymond
San Jose
Go to Top of Page

catheglass
Lokahi

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  02:38:15 AM  Show Profile

Aloha kakou. . . .

I'm' smiling and remembering Jawn playing fine ki ho'alu and lounging on the wicker loveseat in Hale One at AMC. .. big grin, big guitar, and Piffle playing too. Come on August.
Must be personal quirk, but I often play 'ukulele standing up, but almost always play guitar sitting down - been playing that 'lil Baby Taylor and it tries to slip off my gently rounded thigh, whereas a full size guitar doesn't. Aerodynamics in action? <G>
Raymond, if you're coming to the July kanikapila, would you bring those interesting guitar holding devices with you? Then Stacey and I could test it out. Mahalo.
Future is in wicker? Darn, I thought it was music.

cathe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000