Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Taj Mahal and slack key?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  8:35:40 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all,

While I was driving, the Seattle NPR affiliate airing The Beat included the show World Cafe. World Cafe had an interview with Taj Mahal discussing his new CD, maybe titled Hula Blues. That may also be the name of his band. The host asked Taj Mahal about slack key and whether the Hawaiian players were secretive about it. No. And then I arrived at my destination and couldn't hear the rest.

I'm curious now. Has Taj Mahal joined the ranks?

Pauline

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  9:40:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
His new album is called "Hanapepe Dream". His backup band, I think, is the Hula Blues Band. I don't know if there's any slack key on the album but I do know he's headlining a concert with Led Ka`apana at the end of June in CA and one with Keola Beamer at the beginning of July in OR. (Taj has been hooked on slack key since the early '80s when he moved to HI.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  11:15:44 PM  Show Profile
Craig, thanks.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  01:42:16 AM  Show Profile
Taj is a part-time resident here on Kaua`i, and has often used island musicians (slacker Kenny Emerson, for example) on his recordings and tours.

This year he has chosen instead to use Keola Beamer and, separately, Led Kaapana to open at stops on his Summer 2003 tour.

The new CD, by Taj Mahal and His Hula Blues Band, is entitled "Hanapepe Dream" -- but only that title track, could be construed as anything approximating "Hawaiian music". The rest is pure Taj...

-- auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  01:49:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Sure Pauline. Incidentally, if you want to catch a glimpse (and listen) of Taj and his band performing island-style, rent "Six Days and Seven Nights" (with Harrison Ford and Anne Heche)...they have an extended appearance in a nightclub scene. (The movie got generally bad reviews but I liked it...its biggest problem is that it can't decide if it's a romantic comedy or an action adventure.)

And to add some slack key trivia to the mix, Reri Tava Jobe (who wrote Ray Kane's OOP lesson book) has a cameo as a stewardess in the movie! (Bonus trivia points if you can name the connection between Reri and J. Paul Getty.)

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 06/14/2003 01:44:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  08:05:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
i have an album of his from several years ago called sacred island, with his hula blues band. he is playing with keola sometime this summer at the woodland park zoo in seattle.

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  11:33:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Mai poina, one of the essential founding members of Hula Blues Band is Carlos Andrade, a Kauai slacker/song writer of distinction. He does several songs on the last CD, and when Hula Blues Band was formed (on Kauai) it was originally Na Pali, producing one album of the same name, with almost nothing but Carlos' songs. He is such a wonderful player and haku mele (he wrote Moonlight Lady).
By the bumbye, does anyone know where ka heke I can find the Na Pali album???

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  1:06:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
The album you're looking for is "Pacific Tunings" (LP: Awapuhi 101 [1988], CD: Silverline 700 [1995]).

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 06/15/2003 12:21:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  3:38:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
the seattle show at the zoo is on july 6, and its sold out i just discovered

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  04:26:38 AM  Show Profile
Re: "Pacific Tunings" by Na Pali (Dr. Carlos Andrade and talented friends)...

Don't know who is spreading the "out of print" mis-information -- the CD is still widely distributed in the islands and on the mainland, and is definitely NOT out of print:
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/813.htm

Great stuff...especially popular on Kaua`i are "Na Pali Outlaw", "Limahuli", and the aforementioned "Moonlight Lady".

-- auntie maria
HAWAIIAN MUSIC ISLAND www.mele.com

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  12:20:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
My apologies...I picked up the "out-of-print" info on the Internet somewhere. It must have been referring to the LP.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2003 :  6:56:38 PM  Show Profile
Pancho Graham, bass player for the Hula Blues band is a pretty good slack key player. We caught him one night at the Lighthouse cafe in Kilauea last week.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

pili
Aloha

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  11:31:22 AM  Show Profile
Michael Barretto, the other guitarist with Hula Blues Band, also plays slack key... He's my hänai aunties grandson, which makes him my... uh... nvever mind. Anyway I jammed some with him last fall (mostly blues) but he definitely has the Hawaiian touch with slack key when he wants to.

Learn all about the band at http://www.brudda.com/kilohana/taj.html

Pili
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000