Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Concert VS Tenor
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  5:18:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi All,

Looking for some opinions and considerations in choosing a uke size.

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  7:03:26 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,

Trivial question, why do you ask, get both!
You will, you know, in no time at all.

I started with a Fluke concert which has a larger scale length than the standard concert according to a very good luthier's web site that I've forgotten the name of. Next was a tenor, then a couple of sopranos with a third on its way, and a tenor scaled electric mandola/tenor ukulele showed up somewhere in the middle. Once you start, if you like them, it's hard to stop!

IMO, the larger bodies/longer scale lengths sound richer, fuller, and are more of a nuisance to carry around. Little sopranos almost fit in your pocket, you can keep one always by your side, and their sound is more plinky.

So pick the best sounding one you can find in any size. In a couple of weeks or months you can go back and get its big or little sister.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  7:34:40 PM  Show Profile
Ho Pauline,

No mess around. I already have a made in Vietnam at 100% humidity uke that has felt the lack of humidity in Colorado and is lookingg lean on the soundboard so i got the plinky sound down. I was looking for something better as I learn and you can pick up a new lanikai with case off ebay for about $150. I thought the tenor size might be better since it can be tuned a couple different ways if I ever get there. But does the GCEA tuning on the tenor affect learning vs a concert or soprano?

A sad story about humidity. The owner of the guitar shop that I go to has a customer who brought back a 6 string Kamaka from Hawaii and even though it has been humidified, has pretty much imploded and is having it worked on to try and save.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  10:02:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Colorado, that is a different climate. You almost have to get a room or house humidifier to protect wooden instruments, or so I've heard.

Lanikai, is that the uke distributed by Hohner? I've heard nice things about it. I've heard raves about Lehua ukes, built in Portugal and some finishing in Hawaii. Elderly sells them. This may be unfair, but for now I'd expect the Portuguese who have been playing little guitars for centuries to have a better feel for construction than the Chinese where they have to still be a novelty. In a few years, that could be entirely different. Is that true in a factory setting...?

I tune my tenor low G, but I'm seriously thinking of trying low G on a soprano, just for fun. Inertia, and a suspicion that I'd have to get the nut slot for the 4th string filed has prevented my doing so. High/low 4th matters if you are finger picking. Iz tuned low. Oh, everything is GCEA in my house, but most G's are higher. The chord forms are the same, and I'm not aware of a vast difference in chord sound. Of course, I'm the person who was having a problem telling a D on one guitar string from a D on another string, logic said they had to be different, but... Then I realized they were an octave apart and I could finally, slowly, hear the difference. It was weird.

Concert frets are closer together than tenor frets, so that will make a difference in the feel of the fretboard. How large are your fingers? Other than that, I don't think you'd find a difference in learning. I notice tenor to soprano for sure, fingers get more crowded.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2003 :  9:12:30 PM  Show Profile
Due to Herb Ohta Jr.'s urging, Sheila now strings her old Martin soprano with a low G. She loves it!!

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  12:27:48 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Dusty,

Just out of curiosity, I tuned the fat, nylon, unwound, C down to G on a soprano. Ouch, it sounded horrible. Bradda Iz's method of restringing with a normal set resorted fat string to thin string wouldn't work with whatever is on that ukulele right now. So what brand or tension of strings did H.O. Jr. recommend, or what does Shiela use?

Mahalo,

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  11:47:32 AM  Show Profile
Pauline,

Sheila started with the low G strings at Aloha Camp last year. She repaced the 4th string with a wound string she got from Dennis Lake.

Now she has a set of Hilo (Low G) strings on here uke. I got them from
Roy Cone.

http://www.ukuleleworld.com/uw_string.html

I also bought a set of Aquila NYLGUT strings (low G) from Jim Belof last Saturday. Haven't tried them yet; although Jim had a set on a Fluke and they sounded really nice (and loud). Roy Cone also sells them.
http://www.ukuleleworld.com/uw_aquila.html

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 06/26/2003 11:48:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  1:52:36 PM  Show Profile
Dusty, thanks, Hilo or Nylguts. A follow-up question, please, was the wound G skinny enough or did Sheila have to get the nut slot widened?

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  3:04:51 PM  Show Profile
quote:
...was the wound G skinny enough or did Sheila have to get the nut slot widened

It fit right in the existing slot.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Ipu
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  9:07:43 PM  Show Profile
speaking of humidity or lack there of, I just had the back on my concert, koa, Mele seperate. It didn't like the heater this past winter here in Vermont. It was fixed by my friend the violin maker. I am worried about next winter and the other ukes I own. I plan to shop for a Kamaka tenor while in HI in a few weeks. I guess it's just a metter of keeping themin the cases with humidifiers.

Buddy Dubay
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2003 :  8:32:09 PM  Show Profile
I love my Kamaka concert. It's very well made, easy to play and sounds great.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000