Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Na Po`e o Maui no ka `oi
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  5:51:37 PM  Show Profile
Part I:

Howzit Braddahs an' Sistahs -
(Been on Maui long time, yeah - shows; NOT long enough but)

Just wanted to let all of you know that we are alive (barely) after 17 hours of flights and NY/CT traffic and that we miss all of you lots.

This is the first installment of da kine diary of our time wit' you on Maui. Can't thank all of you enough and can't express all of our admiration for your joyous friendship, generosity and exceptional talents - of all sorts.

In the following installments we gonna name names and tell da troot `bout `oukou a pau. So, get reddy gangies; when we go stay awake in a day or two, come choke stories about ki ho`alu an' da kine. Also, some very nice, but very unusal happenings to us. No shame. ('Cept fo' Andy's NY kine lofahs.)

'Til den, keep on slackin'!

Aloha kakou,

Reid and Sarah (Poloka - usetatoo be named Kamalapua, but someteeng changed dat, yeah, Don?)

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  9:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Just wanted to say congrats to Sarah for her performance at the slack key fetival. Watching her perform with Kevin and Ikaika Brown (who can be credited for getting Sarah interested in slack key) was very moving.

She pulled it off with confidence and poise. The song selection was tremendous... Hi`ilawe played in the old style (old style melody in G wahine tuning).

Will write more later too.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  9:26:41 PM  Show Profile
Shooots, glad you got home safe and had one awesome trip.

Can't wait to hear the stories.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  06:39:42 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, Sarah-n- Reid

So sorry i did'nt get a chance to call you before you left Maui.

Mahalo plenty for having me stay over for the work shop.
Yup, Reid is a great cook!

It was a special time for me, that we could catch up on old times. ( and new ones too. )

Im sorry we did'nt get to make it to Molokai together.
The birthday party was great. I think if we went, they would'nt have missed me. ( at the party. ) ha, ha,

I left the next day for Molokai, So i did'nt have a chance to call. ( sorry! )

I was coming out of a store in molokai, when someone asked for directions,and guess who it was?..........
Lynette and Andy.

Mahalo for the invitation to the Hoe's family home.
The fishing, the food, and the music, was so "ono"
As for the bottle hunting?... we better leave that to Ozzie, ha,ha!

To all of you that came to the work shop, You made it a memorable moment for me. It was great to finally meet all of you in person. (taropatch ohana.)Mahalo Nui Loa.

Thank you Reid and Sarah again for being not just a friend, but a part of the ohana!

Hey Sarah remember what i told you? I knew you before you became a, _S _ _ _R. Sarah, fill in the blanks.

Aloha,Pumehana
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  7:06:50 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, Reid, Andy and Lynette....my only regret is that I never got to jam for you guys during open-mic at "Blue Marlins", and Andy, missed your debut there. But! At least we were able to enjoy eachothers company the Saturday before.

The highlight of the evening was listening to Sarah play the "Toad Song" accompanied by "Bruddah" Don Kaulia, Uncle Boy Kanae and Pani Malaiakini.

But above all else she opened for "Bruddah" Nolan, Mike Kaawa guys! "Sarah...as I mentioned before, you're a hard act to follow!" I couldn't top you! But I really and proudly watched you as you brought da house down! Your Grand Performance as Guest Secret Kiho'alu Artist during the Kiho'alu Festival...That will be something Maui won't forget...I will never forget.....

Really miss you guys! If only it was longer here on Maui....And I didn't make our Waihe'e Valley Kanikajammapila this morning...My truck blew it's water-pump $$$$$$$$.....

Take care all of you.....I'm very happy you made back home safe and sound....Jet-lagged probably, but main thing safe and sound. "Andy! Are you and Lynette still in the Islands?" A Hui Hou!

slackkey Bill Pellazar

P.S. I'm sorry I didn't get to see the both of you off back to CT. Sarah and Reid! "Andy! That was great crossing paths with "Bruddah" Kevin at Moloka'i Store the way you and Lynette did." Small World!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  11:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
"Andy! Are you and Lynette still in the Islands?"

..."Andy! That was great crossing paths with "Bruddah" Kevin at Moloka'i Store the way you and Lynette did." Small World!
Yes, about 5 hours to go before we board the plane. Just had a waffle dog and ono ono shake at KC Drive Inn.

It is a small world, but Molokai is a really small island! Kevin's daughter was wondering if we'd run in to each other and she was right!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

donkaulia
Lokahi

249 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  12:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit donkaulia's Homepage
Good Performance Sarah!!!

Reid, you the Man. You both are welcomed to the Blue Marlin any time you're on Maui...contact me at www.kaulia.com

Aloha and keep on jamming slack key!!!

Mahalo,

Donald Kauli'a

donkaulia
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  3:31:20 PM  Show Profile
Aloha käkou ë nä hoa kï hö`alu ë! Mahalo iä `oukou a pau!

Aloha awakea! ...now that I am back in another time zone and (pretty much) functioning... I just want to say that Reid and I had one *awesome* time visiting you guys on Maui, and have precious memories of good times and exciting experiences. Thanks to *everyone*!

I am so grateful and full of mahalo to all those of you who were so encouraging and supportive of my kï hö`alu -- at the kanikapila jams, at the Blue Marlin, at the Festival. Kevin, thank you once again so much for offering me such an extraordinary honor and opportunity, and for your faith in me and your encouragement all along the way (since 1997!!): "Words cannot express".... Glad to hear you could make it to Molokai -- sorry we didn't get to say goodbye, but we were thinking of you! To Ikaika and Joe, thanks for the wonderful harmony and backup, and to all three of you for accomodating my inexperience in playing with other musicians.

Thanks so much to the rest of the `ohana -- Kitty and David, Bill Slackkey, Andy & Lynette, Ed Garces (great pics you posted!!), Ed and Helen, Dan Sythe, Duke, Julie & Larry, Jerry, Larry & Cynthia, Ozzie, Uncle Sol, Doc, Claude, and all those others of you whom I met only briefly -- for all your encouragement and appreciation and support. It made such a difference to my nerves to be able to tell myself, "I'm just playing for my friends"! Mahalo!

To Don Kauli`a, thanks a million for your kindness and your support. Doing the Toad Song with you and Pani and Boy was an experience I will not forget -- the frogs and the bass line were awesome! I love what you are doing at the Blue Marlin (and, your special brand 'Opihi Moemoe!), and I hope it's the start of a long and successful tradition. Also, the opportunities you gave us at the open mike turned out to be great "warm up" for my Sunday experience. (Thank you for coming backstage to lend moral support!)

It was a joy to be among people who love and understand kï hö`alu. As Julie said, "Cloud 9"! What a great kï hö`alu `ohana. Mahalo a nui loa, everyone. A eia nö ho`i, thanks, Andy, for taropatch.net, where we can all meet across the miles.

We miss you guys!

me ka mahalo a me ke aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000