Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Defining Slack key
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

pifarrell
Aloha

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  04:58:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, since this thread has been resurrected I thought I'd give an update on our Christmas folk night so here goes, I DIDN'T PLAY AT IT!!!
Everything was organised, I had learned a couple of new tunes, "Ku'u Ipo Onaona" and "Slack Key Hula" and I was all set and looking forward to the night.
About ten days before it I was sitting watching TV and my hands started to get itchy, within about an hour they had swelled up to an alarming degree and I couldn't bend my fingers.
the next day they were just the same so I went to my doctor who diagnosed it as "an extreme allergic reaction to something". "No s**t Sherlock" I replied.
Anyway they ran a lot of tests and never found out what caused it, and after a week or so the swelling went down a bit though my fingers were stiff and painful so I wasn't able to play.
It's only been in the last couple of weeks that I've been able to start playing again, my hands are still a bit puffy and it's still difficult to bend my fingers but I'm hoping things will improve. I can only play the simpler of the tunes I know, "Molehu" and "Maunaloa" and I really have to concentrate on what I'm playing or my fingers go off on their own.
On the subject of "Maunaloa", a few days ago I was messing about with a new webcam and I videoed myself trying to play it. My son discovered it on the PC and put it on Youtube. Then he changed the password so I couldn't delete it (the scamp). He wouldn't tell me the password unless I agreed not to delete it and when I agreed he said he didn't believe me so it's still on there.

bigeedjit

Edited by - pifarrell on 03/09/2009 05:00:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2009 :  05:56:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pifarrell

On the subject of "Maunaloa", a few days ago I was messing about with a new webcam and I videoed myself trying to play it. My son discovered it on the PC and put it on Youtube. Then he changed the password so I couldn't delete it (the scamp). He wouldn't tell me the password unless I agreed not to delete it and when I agreed he said he didn't believe me so it's still on there.

Smart boy! I notice you didn't post the link.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  07:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cpatch

quote:

Smart boy! I notice you didn't post the link.

Of course, this made me search out the video immediately.

pifarrell, I won't post the link here, since you didn't do so, but I think it was a very sweet rendition and I'm glad your son "shared" it.

Now that the cat's out of the bag, you might as well post some more, yeah?

Go to Top of Page

pifarrell
Aloha

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  10:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well. I wasn't going to post the link as I was feeling somewhat intimidated and because of my fingers but here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evFDqV4pVcw&feature=channel_page

Be gentle with me, I'm not a well man.

bigeedjit

Edited by - pifarrell on 03/10/2009 10:48:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  1:46:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Be gentle with me, I'm not a well man.

Then stay out of the well. Let someone else collect the frogs. And the peaches.
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2009 :  12:30:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a little bit I did on the "what is slack key" thing. Certainly not a complete answer but for a 60 second clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq2EdPsf5Nc

Doug
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000