Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Defining Slack key
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

pifarrell
Aloha

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  02:30:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the encouragement guys, I'll let you Know how it goes.

I enjoy playing at these nights as it's the only chance I get to perform these days and the slack key should add a bit of spice to it

bigeedjit
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  06:13:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr Farrell!

I wish you all the best with this - I know exactly the sort of concert. It'll be great. Wish I could be there to listen to you, but I'll be there in spirit!

Trev
Go to Top of Page

pifarrell
Aloha

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  9:12:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Trev.
We've been running these nights for about five years now though I had stopped playing at them a couple of years ago until last December, when I had to replace someone who pulled out at the last minute and I discovered that I still love performing.
Anyway it'll be interesting to see how the slack key songs go down, I'm really looking forward to it.

bigeedjit

Edited by - pifarrell on 06/03/2008 9:13:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  12:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmmmm....
three songs in 30 minutes? are they long songs?

I usually run through five or six song in the same time and I'm not called "loquacious slack" for nuttin.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

pifarrell
Aloha

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  12:08:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be doing some Scottish and Irish songs as well.
This is the set list:

Pat Reilly
Pittenweem
Molehu
Mary and the Soldier
The Broome o' the Cowdenknowes
Salomila
Bonnie Bessie Logan
Maunaloa

I'm first on so I hope I can set a good standard for the rest of the night.

bigeedjit
Go to Top of Page

pifarrell
Aloha

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  12:34:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just thinking, I seem to have hijacked this thread so I'll start another one after the concert if that's okay.

bigeedjit
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  07:59:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote

quote:
I was just thinking, I seem to have hijacked this thread so I'll start another one after the concert if that's okay.

No need to, I think everyone here is very interested in what you have to say and how your set fits in.

Personally, I like the fact that you are incorporating Hawaiian music into a set with Irish and Scottish music. Unless one is from the tradition - and I certainly ain't -- heck, even it you are -- it makes sense to put the music into a wider context.

Your audience will get the answer to the question posed at the top of the thread simply by listening. Not a bad way to go.

Break a leg!
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  09:26:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Daniel Ho's music considered slack key?
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  12:13:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why do you ask?
Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  1:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Is Daniel Ho's music considered slack key?"

I mean by the consensus of this forum and in the interest of defining what people feel is or isn't slack key.

Although it is purely subjective, I am kind of wondering if others would label his music as such.

Edited by - sm80808 on 06/06/2008 1:54:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Peter Medeiros
`Olu`olu

546 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  2:02:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peter Medeiros's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You should really be asking the Hawaiians, like your dad or uncle folks and then you would get a real consensus from people you know. It looks like you are from Hawaii so you should have several great points of reference available. Use your ears. As in so many other aspects of life there is always going to be change. We are in a period of time when the mea (things) and traditions that are considered to be Hawaiian are no longer solely determined by Hawaiians. That's life. It is unavoidable.

I do not speak for the other players, but I know that I am not alone on this assessment. It may be perceived that this is slack key outside of Hawaii. But being a player and a long time teacher I say no. At this point in time he plays alternate tunings with some Hawaiian content and has created his own Kilauea tuning which was a tie in with the name of his jazz fusion group.

He will eventually learn how to play because he has too. But would I buy his product now? Maybe later when I hear something I like.

Go to Top of Page

sm80808
Lokahi

347 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  3:05:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"You should really be asking the Hawaiians, like your dad or uncle folks and then you would get a real consensus from people you know. It looks like you are from Hawaii so you should have several great points of reference available. Use your ears. As in so many other aspects of life there is always going to be change. We are in a period of time when the mea (things) and traditions that are considered to be Hawaiian are no longer solely determined by Hawaiians. That's life. It is unavoidable."

That is a really interesting perspective Peter. I am inclined to believe that most local musicians of a certain age (like my uncles or my dad) would agree with you.

Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  4:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by studentaccount1

Is Daniel Ho's music considered slack key?

You can ask him yourself - he visits the 'patch from time to time. He can certainly play ki ho`alu style, but I don't know if he would classify his own compositions as such.

As we've covered many times, the path of "defining" something musical is fraught with dangerous traps. Do you like his stuff? That's all that matters, ain't it?
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2008 :  7:05:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Defining Slack Key is very complex and simple too. If you consider

open tunings. Many genres use open tunings. Would dobro music be

considered slack key or Hawaiian steel guitar? Probably not. would

blues as played by Keith Richards in taropatch tuning be slack key?

probably not. Do we enjoy most of that music . Heck yeah! So

defining this genre is a lot like putting a rainbow in your pocket.

There is no all encompassing definition that settles the question.

Slack Key is Hawaiian music. I suppose someone could invent Irish

slack key but it would not be Hawaiian Slack Key. And as Peter so

wisely says you donʻt have to be Hawaiian to play Hawaiian music.

So why are we chasing rainbows?

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 06/06/2008 7:10:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  05:05:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said, Al. "Style is based on limitations." -John Hartford.
Use of scales, harmonic style, rhythm, feel all go into it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000