Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 KKCR
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2011 :  07:51:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a personal promotion for radio station KKCR out of Hanalei, which is currently in a pledge drive.

KKCR is "community radio" and has delightfully eclectic programming. I only tune in via the 'net in the morning when traditional and contemporary Hawaiian music is featured. It's a great way to connect with the islands "real time."

You may want to check it out, and consider supporting local radio in the land we love. Here's the number: 866.275.1112

Larry

Iakonu
Akahai

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2011 :  07:58:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second that. The Morning Paper precedes the Hawaiian music segments in the morning (6:30 a.m. Hawaii time) and this is a great show to catch up on world and local news. Each morning DJ has a different approach to the programming of Hawaiian music and it's wonderful to hear such a diverse array of music. Also, Aunty Maria will blow you away with some of her classic vinyl cuts.

Check it out: http://www.kkcr.org/

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2011 :  6:51:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo for the kind words about KKCR -- we who are the volunteer programmers feel blessed to be able to send beautiful music out beyond the islands.

So what's the difference between "programmer" and "DJ", you ask?

Commercial radio stations have DJs -- folks who yak on the air, hit the button to play the pre-programmed music tracks, with an engineer to run the broadcast board, and someone to answer phone calls and update weather/surf for the DJ. The bills and paychecks are covered by their ad revenue.

KKCR is Community Radio (volunteer-powered; listener supported), dependent on grants and donations to pay the bills (and cover the paychecks for one full-time station manager, and two 1/4-time staffers). We who are programmers are solo -- we produce (yep, we get to choose the music we play), run the broadcast board, answer phones, and give updated weather/surf reports. And we LOVE what we do!!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Iakonu
Akahai

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2011 :  08:40:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Aunty Maria for the clarification. I am amazed by what KKCR does as a volunteer-run radio station. The programing is so good, so diverse and unique to each personality who programs a segment.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to Thursday and Friday mornings when your show comes on. Mahalo for all you do for Hawaiian music!
Go to Top of Page

Iakonu
Akahai

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2011 :  12:31:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The KKCR web stream seems to be down if you try to access the stream from the KKCR website directly. You can still stream the radio station by going to TuneIn at: http://tunein.com/search/?query=kkcr

Aloha

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000