Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Dan Rather, HDNet, Pearl Harbor, and Ledward
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  4:07:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, I'm sorry I didn't do a heads-up but I didn't know what to expect. Dan Rather did a segment on Pearl Harbor and the memorial http://www.hd.net/programs/danrather/ , and it wound up with a look at the impact of the attack on people of Japanese descent living in Hawai`i at the time.

Turns out three such people are Led Heads, so they were interviewed in the context of a Kane`ohe Friday Night (which is in no way limited by conventional calendar concepts to only occur on Friday night), with Ledward and Lei and Jesse jamming along, ending with Jimmie, one of the interviewees, doing "Kaimana Hila."

The whole show involves a lot of praise for the charms of Hawai`i, but I'm really impressed at how faithfully they captured the magical experience.

Now I just hope this stuff gets archived or repeated or something.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  5:15:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could not find that section of the show at the site you gave us.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2011 :  5:33:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judy Barrett says you can download from iTunes for $1.99

http://itunes.apple.com/us/tv-season/dan-rather-remembers-pearl/id414506840?i=487039263
Season 6 of Dan Rather Reports at the iTunes Store. Scroll to show #39, the last item

If this is the same thing you are talking about, Fran.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  06:58:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HDNet is trying to monetize their content through iTunes rather than relying on ad support on their site, so they only release trailers for free. The item #39 in Wanda's iTunes link above is the right one. That is a recent addition, I looked for it two days ago, then spent a couple of hours yesterday hooking up a VHS recorder to our DVR so I could make a tape of the show. Today I was going to go buy a gadget to transfer the VHS to my computer so I could burn a DVD. Now that I can get it on iTunes, nevah mind <grin>.

It might not be worth two bucks to many of us for the Hawaiian music, even though the show was quite interesting in some of its approaches. The segment with the Led Heads is only about 10 minutes at the end, but several of Led's tracks are on the soundtrack throughout the hour as well, and they captured the feel of "Friday Night" to perfection.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Hookani
Lokahi

232 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  09:35:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Led playing Dan Rather's theme song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ykT3W8QQwc

Ke Kani Nahe
YouTube

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2011 :  10:06:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Where I am, HDNET is rebroadcasting the show this Saturday, 12/10, at noon. I've got my DVR set.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2011 :  06:17:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well thanks, Mr. iTunes - the TV show and movie downloads are DRM'ed and can't be burned to DVD. And when we synced the show to the iPad it doesn't play. I love Apple. Their stuff is always so easy to use, so transparent, so friendly.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000