Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Thoughts on practicing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

TerryLiberty
Lokahi

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2011 :  5:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit TerryLiberty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Auntie Wanda:

Great question and something that's been treated recently in a lot of human brain research. Before answering, folks should read at least a couple of the following:

Outliers and Blink by Malcom Gladwell
Talent is Overrated by Goeff Colvin
The Talent Code by Daniel Coyle
Several of the works by Karl Anders Ericsson

Regards.

Terry
Olympia WA
Forever a haumana

Terry

Olympia, WA
Forever a haumana

Edited by - TerryLiberty on 12/15/2011 12:45:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

fred d
Akahai

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  10:31:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found that my practice time has become ME time I seem to get[ lost in the music and feel a fredom I don't have at performances I can play slow,fast and embellish and totaly lost in the process. I found the when I raced bicycles I got into the same feelings Racing wasen't fun (work). Like a good meal my practice can be savored and enjoyed with no exptations, and no anxiety.. MY best wishes to everyone for the coning year fred

fred davis
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  02:56:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been fortunate to know many really excellent musicians in my time. All of them have this in common - they've all spent a great deal of time practising. It's certainly the case that some people seem to pick things up quicker than others, and there may be many reasons for this.

But when you see someone who's really good - well they'll have done loads of practice, you can be sure of that.
Go to Top of Page

Doug Fitch
Akahai

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  4:51:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doug Fitch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think practicing is fun! I like what Perlman said about beginning slowly and for another reason: muscle memory. If you (nearly) always play the thing correctly, regardless of speed, you will only know the one way to play it. I am speaking only of technique here. I think this is what Terry meant when he said "perfect practice makes perfect". I agree with Dennis Kamakahi that too much rehearsal (which is to be distinguished from practice) kills spontaneity. I also like what the notion of recording because the microphone doesn't lie.
I have a new album coming out in a few weeks. It will be all traditional slack key (no originals). I've selected some unusual tunings and seldom heard songs. Hope you guys will enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  7:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Fitch

I have a new album coming out in a few weeks. It will be all traditional slack key (no originals). I've selected some unusual tunings and seldom heard songs. Hope you guys will enjoy it.

Looking forward to sharing it with our radio listeners, too!
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  5:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A classical player once said, "If I skip a day of practice, I notice it. If I skip 2 days of practice, the other musicians notice it. If I skip 3 days, the audience notices it."
Like Slipry1 says, "The more you do something, the better you'll get at it."
Music is muscle and ear memory.
Like my Dad told me, "Take your time, play clean, and don't hurt yourself."
Go to Top of Page

Iakonu
Akahai

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  11:23:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

A classical player once said, "If I skip a day of practice, I notice it. If I skip 2 days of practice, the other musicians notice it. If I skip 3 days, the audience notices it."
That was Andrés Segovia wasn't it? Hard to believe that after 3 days of not picking up a guitar a maestro such as he would loose a bit of his touch. Going on vacations must have been a bit tough.

I've generally found that if I put something down which I do repetitively for several days, whether it be the guitar or running, I come back with a slightly different perspective. I've found that sometimes this new perspective translates into doing the activity a little bit better. Perhaps a bit of distance from a repetitive activity is good for the mind.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000