Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 PayPal?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  09:57:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got an email a few days ago in which a friend told me:

"I always use online registration or purchasing and won't use PayPal. If that's my only option, I won't buy from that company."

I was surprised, as I use PayPal a lot and have never had any problems. PayPal even accepts Visa and MasterCard now, so I am wondering if this friend had a bad experience in the past, or if the average person has problems with PayPal.

Any thoughts?
Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass

TerryLiberty
Lokahi

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  10:24:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit TerryLiberty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Konabob:

PayPal has worked fine for me for the past few years. I'm not sure where your friend's aversion comes from.

Terry
Olympia, WA
Forever a haumana

Terry

Olympia, WA
Forever a haumana
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  10:24:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did they say something insulting about hula?

I've not had any PayPal problems, but I would be curious to hear if your friend had bad experiences that they would share. In fact, PayPal was helpful to me recently in resolving a small issue of concern with a seller.
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  11:05:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No PayPal problems for me, either. I just picked up an old steel guitar stand on eBay and paid for it via PayPal without a problem.

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Tommy
Akahai

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  2:50:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PayPal has always been fine with me--and when sending $$ as a gift there is no charge--which is nice.
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  6:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paypal has been fine for me. Not a single problem. Been using it for years mainly for ebay auctions buying vintage Hawaiian LPs.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  12:48:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our halau used PayPal last year to receive payments from folks for paying for our annual hula workshop. We are not doing that this year because we had to pay them a fee. Of course, I know that is how they make their money, from the sellers, but we can't afford to lose even one penny on the expenses of this workshop. This year we are back to asking folks to send us a check for payment.

When I have purchased things from PayPal, I have never had a problem. I think it is a very secure way of handling funds.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  02:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paypal has been fine for me too.
They even returned money to me (at my request)when a Chinese company did not respond to my email for a week.
Total time I owed money to a the non responsive company was 8 days.
Didn't have to fight or jump through hoops either.

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 12/19/2011 02:16:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  02:53:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used it occasionally - I'm not someone who buys a lot of stuff generally, and when I do, I like to go to the shop and get it. I don't like buying things 'mail order' or online.

I've had NO bad experiences with Paypal. I've found it occasionally highly useful when I needed to get money to people in other countries. Paying for my excellent new mandolin that my friend Fred in Canada made is the latest example. And getting money to my American friend Greg in France because he needed visa fees before we did a tour of Scotland. I think I've bought about 2 things of eBay a few years ago, too. That's about it.

It sounds like the guy has a personal reason for not using Paypal - I'd ask him if I were you.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  07:02:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
FYI, eBay bought PayPal in 2002. In some cases, PayPal provides an extra layer of consumer protection b/c you can open a dispute when there is a problem with your transaction. My experience has been fine.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  4:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have used it occasionally with no problem for personal purchases. By request, we have now added a Paypal option to accept donations to the foundation I work with and realized what a chunk their cut takes out of donations. Businesses have to accept this kind of cut all the time when patrons use credit cards, but I have to say it sort of dilutes non-profit donations.

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  12:40:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amen to what Jeff says.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2011 :  03:29:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JeffC

I have used it occasionally with no problem for personal purchases. By request, we have now added a Paypal option to accept donations to the foundation I work with and realized what a chunk their cut takes out of donations. Businesses have to accept this kind of cut all the time when patrons use credit cards, but I have to say it sort of dilutes non-profit donations.

There is a non-profit rate which appears to be the same as a business with $10,000 to $100,000 in monthly sales. 2.5% on $100 is not too bad but 5.2% on $10 does take a good chunk. Anybody know of alternatives?

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000