Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Authorship question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  11:07:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you make an insturmental song where the begining of melody is nearly identical to another song but the bridge is different and the chorus is different, what should you say about the authorship of the song? Is it an original, is it an original based on another song, or is it an arrangement of the other song?

Bob

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  11:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If your new song shares some of its identity with another, be straightforward in the description; say something like "composed by Bob Mememe, with verse melody based upon "FaLa Mele" by Eddie DaGreat."
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  08:41:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe the famous George Harrison/My Sweet Lord case established a kind of quantitative rule for how much of the melody of one work can overlap another. Whatever that number of notes might be, if the A section (which usually means 8 bars) is *identical*, you're copying, no matter how different subsequent sections are. And if someone owns the rights to the copied tune segment, that's an infringement and they are entitled to come after you. If you're serious about performing or recording or publishing such a construction, you need permission from the copyright holder--and there's no guarantee that it will be forthcoming. (Writers of parody songs based on existing melodies have found this out the hard way.)

On reflection/edit: If you're *recording* such a construction, and the borrowed section is substantial enough, it might be possible to present it as a medley and credit the original composer for his section. The mandatory-license part of copyright law should cover the, um, cover, though you would be expected to pay for the use of the material. I think that publishing such a combined work, however, would require full permission from the rights-holder. But this is one of those odd corners of copyright law that is worth checking out with a professional.

Edited by - Russell Letson on 12/20/2011 08:49:12 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000