Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Ray Kane's "Popoki Slack Key"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GuitarVlog
Akahai

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2011 :  7:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there any resource that has the tab for Ray Kane's "Popoki Slack Key"? I can't seem to find it available anywhere. It's not in any books that I've seen and it's not on his lesson DVD.

- Keo

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  04:59:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a version of it in Mark Nelson's "Old Time Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar." Have fun :-)

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

GuitarVlog
Akahai

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  05:52:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by da_joka

There's a version of it in Mark Nelson's "Old Time Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar." Have fun :-)

I have Mark-o's book and listened to both pieces. They don't seem to be the same at all. Or am I mistaken?

- Keo
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  06:14:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you're right. I never really looked at the titles that closely. I also listened to them - they're different. Sorry!

I hope you can find a tab or figure it out.

Fran suggested to me to use Audacity to slow pieces down to be able to pick out the notes. I've used it for a couple pieces and it really helps.

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  2:56:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the Dancing Cat Vol. 2 recording I have is in Bb. So with capo at 3rd fret, this plays easy in taropatch...although some of the higher passages will make you want that cutaway that gotaway!

Anyways, it was good (I hope) to make my brain learn slack key scale notes and the shift from our usual markers, with a capo at 3.
I also like the way it sounds in Bb.
Now if I can remember my original scale and not mix them up, that would be cool.

with LOTS of 6ths, so if you know you're slack key open and closed positions, you can get a pretty fair imitation going.

The subtleties, with ghosting some of the 6ths, and Ray's unique drags--well, if I remember, most of his articulations are played Thumb and Index, so if you to play it PIMA, it doesn't flow and articulate the same.

It's themes are repetitious, but he plays lots of subtle variations on 6ths, "ghosting" and ways to make those 6ths sing in and out of the slides without always striking the note.

Just the motion of the slide is enough to make many of the ghosted notes sing...depending on your action!
Also has a lot of dropping a slide over a steady bass line...which Ozzie likes to point out as one of the defining elements of good slack.
And yes, I found Mark's and Keola's Popoki songs different--Popoki just means "playful" --doesn't it? So after learning these, I guess our homework might be to write and play an original Popoki.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 01/04/2012 3:01:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

GuitarVlog
Akahai

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  3:45:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good analysis there, KK.

quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane
And yes, I found Mark's and Keola's Popoki songs different--Popoki just means "playful" --doesn't it? So after learning these, I guess our homework might be to write and play an original Popoki.

I thought popoki only meant cat? Or is there some homonym that's completely new to me?

- Keo
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  10:04:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Popoki...
Oh, I just was too lazy to walk over to Dictionary! So I used my memory.
Now what were we talking about?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000