Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Amy Stillman Blog "The Daily Mele"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  07:49:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dr. Amy Ku'uleialoha Stillman has started a new project -- on a daily basis, to post a Hawaiian song and give a little mo'olelo. The first song she discusses is "Hawai'i Aloha". Those of you seriously interested in Hawaiian mele may want to check out her new blog to soak up the mana'o she so graciously is sharing with us. She has links so you can listen to the mele she is discussing.

Check it out at: http://amykstillman.tumblr.com/

An excerpt from the first post:
The Daily Mele is blog dedicated to commenting on one song daily that I am listening to or thinking about. My passion and my research work is Hawaiian music. Even though my musical interests span the globe, and reach back centuries in time, I will focus this blog on Hawaiian music. Foregrounding the term mele allows me to range freely over recorded audio tracks OR the songs themselves independently of artists who have made recordings.

This blog is inspired by Project 365, which was launched in 2006. Project 365 focused on photos—participants would take a photo daily and post it online. Iʻm basically doing the same thing, of taking mele as aural snapshots—as I encounter them, as I think about them, as I write about them, as I experience them, as I am shaped by them!

What mele, dear Reader, are part of your own life? What mele are the aural snapshots for your encounters and experiences? What mele would be on the soundtrack of your life? I hope that my thoughts here might inspire you to think of these mele, or think of other mele, and how they are part of your individual and our collective soundtracks.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  08:17:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw that late last night - what a marvelous idea, and it will be one of my daily bookmarks!
Go to Top of Page

TerryLiberty
Lokahi

USA
207 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  09:19:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit TerryLiberty's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yup! It's on my music-room computer. Thanks for passing it along.

Terry

Olympia, WA
Forever a haumana
Go to Top of Page

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  4:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for letting us know about this, Wanda. What a great idea!
Looking forward to the next few mele this week.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  06:48:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today's song is "Hawaiian War Chant".

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  09:04:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My brother participates in Project 365. This is another fantastic resource for fans of Hawaiian music. Thank you Dr. Stillman.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  08:20:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today's mele is "Wahine U'i" by William Ewaliko & the Royal Hawaiian Band Glee Club. Lyrics for me are pretty hard to understand, but appear to be different than what is offered on huapala.org.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 01/03/2012 08:25:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

dr. cookie
Lokahi

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  8:26:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make sure you're not confusing "Wahine U`i" with the much more popular "He Wahine U`i". . . big difference!

Don

PS: As far as Wahine U`i" goes . . . I'd seriously not recommend the 2nd verse translation at huapala.org as a pick up line: "You are a beauty in my sight; a beauty that dwindles in the light of day"! Maybe it sounds better in Hawaiian?
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  01:56:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was reading the right one, Don. It does indeed sound better in Hawaiian. Never tell a lady her beauty is dwindling!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000